Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Olympus has fallen

mhd24

Anyone see it this weekend? I saw it, and it was a blast. Its a legit Rated R Action movie, and Gerard Butler is great in the role. Too bad its got only roughly 50% on rotten tomatoes. The movie accomplishes what it sets out to do. I wonder how the next White House terrorist movie "White House Down" with Jamie Foxx will be. That movie opens in June, and it will be tough to be better than Olympus has Fallen.

I was shocked at the rotten tomatoes rating. Based on Some od the reviews, i was expecting a mindless action romp. im not going to saythe movie was brilliant and super realistic, but not once was i taken out of the movie by lack of realism like i was in every die hard sequel and movies like ateam, mission impossible 2, etc. I freaking loved the movie. In my opinion it's the best "die hard" movie since the original die hard, and nothing else comes close. Butler was awesome, like liamneeson in taken awesome. More accurately, his character Banning had the patriotism and badassedness of jack bauer mixed with the wisecrackingness of john mclane. i really hope they can develop some sort of series surrounding butlers character Protecting the president from other attempts. This movie was GREAT. best non-Bourne/Bond/mission impossible action movie I've seen in years.

Saw it last night with a girlfriend. Guess we're going against the tide here, but neither of us were really impressed. A lot of good action sequences and I really liked Butler. I just didn't love the movie and my friend said the exact same thing. Guess I've just reached my threshold for unrealistic action movies for the time being.

The action was indeed great, and I too hope they turn this into a series type thing ala Die Hard. I also hope this does very well in the box office so it can have a much bigger budget for any subsequent movies (better CGI :))

But, a couple things pissed me off, lol (SPOILERS) -

1) When the secret service and other security just keep pouring out the front entrance getting gunned down. Are you serious? 30 of them died for no reason. After one or two were gunned down I'm sure someone would have thought "Hey, maybe going out that way isn't the best idea right now." But noooo, they just kept mindlessly pouring out.

2) When they rescued the kid. What 6 went to pick him up? Only one was needed to carry him back to safety. Why didn't the other 5 follow Banning back in?? That was a way into the White House, why didn't they send in 100 people in through that way??

The action was indeed great, and I too hope they turn this into a series type thing ala Die Hard. I also hope this does very well in the box office so it can have a much bigger budget for any subsequent movies (better CGI :))

But, a couple things pissed me off, lol (SPOILERS) -

1) When the secret service and other security just keep pouring out the front entrance getting gunned down. Are you serious? 30 of them died for no reason. After one or two were gunned down I'm sure someone would have thought "Hey, maybe going out that way isn't the best idea right now." But noooo, they just kept mindlessly pouring out.

2) When they rescued the kid. What 6 went to pick him up? Only one was needed to carry him back to safety. Why didn't the other 5 follow Banning back in?? That was a way into the White House, why didn't they send in 100 people in through that way??

Your first gripe is the only thing in the movie that bothered me. I think the movie could have come up with a better way to eliminate some of them. I guess the movie was trying to get Banning on his own a little too quickly. Still, it did make me think (SEE INVISITEXT below)...

In just about every movie/TV show, if Americans (or just one guy) is going up against foreign bad guys, especially those of color (middle eastern, african, asian), they do the exact same thing. They basically are cannon fodder who just stand there and let themselves get mowed down. I noticed the same thing you did in this movie, but it made me wonder if its a form of racism that we almost expect the american forces to be supertrained and not make any mistakes, but we expect soldiers of other countries to just stand there and get shot.

I was shocked at the rotten tomatoes rating. Based on Some od the reviews, .

Yes I don't think many movie reviewers appreciate this genre of movie making artestry. They pretty much look down on these popular experiencial films. they exault in setting themselves above we the demographic who supports this genera with holding their approval to demonstrate their distiction and artistic superiority with the masses... Sometimes they succeed in making great movies box office flops.. Like Perter Berg's 2012 movie Battleship. That movie was a lot of fun.. More often or not though the public ignores their superior overtones and supports the films anyway. Which just highlights how useless movie reviews are when it comes to these kinds of films...

As for Olympus has Fallen, I haven't seen it yet... Think I'll take it in this weekend if I get a chance.

This was a really awesome movie. Only movie snobs would find something to complain about with this film.

Predictable? Sure. A bunch of "yeah right" moments? Of course. That's to be expected. But if you're an average guy who likes action movies, and can turn off your inner movie critic mentality and just enjoy big guns, explosions, and headshots, its a really fun flick. :)

This was a really awesome movie. Only movie snobs would find something to complain about with this film.

Predictable? Sure. A bunch of "yeah right" moments? Or course. That's to be expected. But if you're an average guy who likes action movies, and can turn off your inner movie critic mentality and just enjoy big guns, explosions, and headshots, its a really fun flick. :)

i know! scary thing some parts of that movie could be realistic.

For those referring to the Rotten Tomatoes reviews...I have essentially stopped paying attention to that website. I no longer base a decision on whether or not to see a film on what those people say. Very rarely do I ever agree with the majority. For instance I thought the Hobbit was fantastic. Much better than it's barely fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes. I sense a lot of....jealousy from critics when it comes to particular Directors and Actors. As if certain people are only allowed so much success before you have to trash or ridicule everything they do.

One negative review of the Hobbit stated something about "well, my problem with the film is not the fact of Jackson going to the well again on his greatest accomplishment..." Tells you all you really need to know in my opinion.

Also, Tatum is a solid actor and can carry a movie. I have no problem with that casting choice..

Yes I thought Tatum was pretty solid in "The Eagle" about Romes occupation of the Britains.

I saw Olympus Has fallen the other night... I was a little disappointed with it. I enjoyed the beginning, enjoyed the siezure of the whitehouse.

All that was pretty good. Then it seems like they ran out of smarts. After that the plausiblity entirely went away..

Really the army is going to deploy in 15 minutes and then stop outside the gates of the WH?

Really the secret service is going to allow foreign security forces ARMED inside the Presidential Bunker during an attack?

Two worst moments of the film..

Any scene with the Secretary of Defense chick..... She was horrible...... ( how is my hair Mr. President? ) Arrrrrrgggg!

Any scene with the Saebus system in it...

That Saebus System was extremely stupid... It was on the order of introducing Bugs bunny into a drama... Really what good is a super secret system which has the capablility of detonating the entire country's nukes... with a secret super code which terrorists can HACK in a couple of hours of trial and error?.... I mean the terrorists "compurter expert" , the hot korean chick.. She seemed to be sitting at the key board and typing in by trial and error codes and amaizingly hacked the US entire nuclear arsinal in a few hours... That just made my stomach and head hurt. That and the fact nobody at the DoD seemed to realize (1) their super secret system was hackable by what apears to be the football teams QB's girlfriend. (2) Their super secret sytem for aborting ICBM's could be used to detinate all of our nuclear missiles in their silo's.. which to me would seem to be two huge security issues.

Anyway, Action scenes in this movie were B+.... The implausiblity and stupidity of the script after the WH breach makes this movie overall a B-. Still the best action movie we've seen in a while... most of the acting was pretty good.... But when it went south... it really went south..

It also annoyed me the script was suseptable to the "Law and Order" rule. "Pay attention when the cast is introduced... If you recognize an actor... that's the suprize bad guy"...

Anyway.... B-... worth going just for the WH breach scenes.. but after that it was all down hill....

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I was shocked at the rotten tomatoes rating. Based on Some od the reviews, i was expecting a mindless action romp. im not going to saythe movie was brilliant and super realistic, but not once was i taken out of the movie by lack of realism like i was in every die hard sequel and movies like ateam, mission impossible 2, etc. I freaking loved the movie. In my opinion it's the best "die hard" movie since the original die hard, and nothing else comes close. Butler was awesome, like liamneeson in taken awesome. More accurately, his character Banning had the patriotism and badassedness of jack bauer mixed with the wisecrackingness of john mclane. i really hope they can develop some sort of series surrounding butlers character Protecting the president from other attempts. This movie was GREAT. best non-Bourne/Bond/mission impossible action movie I've seen in years.

I'm SHOCKED, but they are making a sequel called "London has Fallen".

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/10/29/casting-net-butler-eckhart/

Archived