Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Twitter - Rob Jackson suspended first 4 games in 2013

son_sonn

Last time I took codeine it made we want to have a nap. Definately not performance inhancing. What a joke.
Wow! A guy that played well for the team and even got his own thread saying maybe his emergence could make Orkapo expendable and he gets busted for a banned substance. I guess his play last year was possibly "performance enhanced." We don't need players like this because it hurts the team. But I can forgive someone for being a first time offender but when it happens multiple times is when it is time to get rid of them.

Ummm, have you ever taken Tylenol w/ codeine in it? It's FAR from a performance enhancing drug. If anything, he'd be knocked out in the little secret Redskin's room (shack) on the sidelines snoring his ass off.

@zacboyer: Jives with @russellmania980 report in season about toothache. MT @granthpaulsen Told Jackson took pain me to help w/ toothache before test.

@russellmania980: @ZacBoyer @granthapalsen - Wow...totally forgot about that...Good memory Boyer. He did have a wisdom tooth issue in late Nov/Dec.

You seem to jump to conclusions. Again you don't know what happens at work, admit it. And yeah winning is an indicator or a cultural shift.

---------- Post added March-21st-2013 at 08:40 AM ----------

Jordan Black had a prescription that didn't matter as well. And AR I disagree with you, every situation is not so black and white. If it was indeed Tylenol and he took it for a tooth ache, was not abusing the drug how is that the same as someone doing an illegal drug like weed or other?

Black had a prescription that wasn't cleared with the league. Unless Jackson can provide hard evidence that it was just Tylenol for a toothache I don't think you can make any sort of exception for him. Otherwise people who did use codeine recreationally will just trot out that excuse next time.

Black had a prescription that wasn't cleared with the league. Unless Jackson can provide hard evidence that it was just Tylenol for a toothache I don't think you can make any sort of exception for him. Otherwise people who did use codeine recreationally will just trot out that excuse next time.

@zacboyer: Jives with @russellmania980 report in season about toothache. MT @granthpaulsen Told Jackson took pain me to help w/ toothache before test.

@russellmania980: @ZacBoyer @granthapalsen - Wow...totally forgot about that...Good memory Boyer. He did have a wisdom tooth issue in late Nov/Dec.

Jackson should have used better judgement. He screwed himself and the team.

And dentists commonly prescribe Tylenol3 for pain. He probably asked a family member or friend for something to help w/ the pain and then got surprised with a random drug test. I'm not saying it's the smartest thing in the world to do, but I don't blame the guy if it was for a toothache. Those mofos hurt like hell. And it's not like most people wouldn't do the same exact thing he did until they can get to dentist.

And dentists commonly prescribe Tylenol3 for pain. He probably asked a family member or friend for something to help w/ the pain and then got surprised with a random drug test. I'm not saying it's the smartest thing in the world to do, but I don't blame the guy if it was for a toothache. Those mofos hurt like hell. And it's not like most people wouldn't do the same exact thing he did until they can get to dentist.

I have a hard time painting Jackson as a bad person, or a stupid person, for taking something for a toothache. Having said that, this issue occured in season. He has a staff full of people around that can help him with that issue quite easily, through league okayed means.

He screwed the pooch and its going to hurt himself and his teammates. It's an understandable mistake, but still a sizable one.

Ummm, have you ever taken Tylenol w/ codeine in it? It's FAR from a performance enhancing drug. If anything, he'd be knocked out in the little secret Redskin's room (shack) on the sidelines snoring his ass off.

I am sorry but where is it anywhere in this thread that mentions Tylenol w/codeine in it other than someones post about a possible culprit. I have looked on this thread for a link that says that and I have looked for something in the media that says that. Nothing. So until you or anyone else can provide me with a link that states Rob Jackson was busted for Tylenol w/codeine in it then all you are doing is speculating on what the banned substance is. I know what Tylenol w/codeine does but there is no evidence that has been presented on this thread that states that or on any media outlet I have read. For all I know the "unprecribed painkiller" could be something that does enhance performance in some way. I don't think too many of us are experts on what is performance enhancing or what isn't.

I am sorry but where is it anywhere in this thread that mentions Tylenol w/codeine in it other than someones post about a possible culprit. I have looked on this thread for a link that says that and I have looked for something in the media that says that. Nothing. So until you or anyone else can provide me with a link that states Rob Jackson was busted for Tylenol w/codeine in it then all you are doing is speculating on what the banned substance is. I know what Tylenol w/codeine does but there is no evidence that has been presented on this thread that states that or on any media outlet I have read. For all I know the "unprecribed painkiller" could be something that does enhance performance in some way. I don't think too many of us are experts on what is performance enhancing or what isn't.

You don't need a medical degree to know that most prescription-strength painkillers are sedatives, or that sedatives aren't "performance enhancing"

You don't need a medical degree to know that most prescription-strength painkillers are sedatives, or that sedatives aren't "performance enhancing"

Actually, they can be viewed as performance enhancers. Sleep helps enhance performance. It gives you rest. People can take drugs to allow them to sleep, thus aiding with recovery. *shrug*

I have a hard time painting Jackson as a bad person, or a stupid person, for taking something for a toothache. Having said that, this issue occured in season. He has a staff full of people around that can help him with that issue quite easily, through league okayed means.

He screwed the pooch and its going to hurt himself and his teammates. It's an understandable mistake, but still a sizable one.

I totally get it. I'm just saying we don't know the circumstance. It could have been 2 AM and he wakes up in excruciating pain. He starts rummaging through his medicine cabinet and takes what he thinks are regular Tylenol. Or, he calls a friend/neighbor/whoever and asks if they have anything for the pain and just takes it b/c he has to wake up early as hell to be at practice. Then he shows up at practice, gets popped w/ a test before he has a chance to get the dentist to get the tooth pulled, and bam, here we are.

I have a hard time blaming the guy not knowing the circumstances, let alone for doing the same thing I would have probably done.

You are correct. We are speculating given the fact it was reported he took something for a toothache. No- we don't know what it actually was. But aren't you sort of doing the same thing? Speculating by making the guy look like he took something for ****s and giggles? All I'm doing is giving him the benefit of the doubt considering none of us really know what the circumstances were or what he took.

How the Hell does the organization let this happen?

Seriously, how does the coaching staff not have the players fully clued up, and made FULLY aware that if their in ANY doubt on the validity of what their taking; then to run it by the staff first?

Innocent mistake from Rob that's turned into a very costly one. But for me, this falls on the staff way more than the player.

Man this organization continues to have a boneheaded propensity to shoot itself in the foot.

Hail.

You are missing the point. Let me spell it out for you. The report says that he was busted for an unprescribed painkiller. There was no mention of what it was on this thread other than a poster that mentioned that it probably was Tylenol w/codeine. There hasn't been anything stated in any media that it was Tylenol w/codeine or any link produced here stating that. The only thing that mentions anything about a toothache was a couple reposts of a conversation between two twitter posters. No mention of what type it was and only pure speculation has been raised. No one has given any concrete evidence to the fact and hasn't provide any. Regardless of it was performance enhancing or not. He violate the rule and got caught. I was not stating that a painkiller enhances performance because quotation marks around the words "unprescribed painkillers" (like I just did) means that I am skeptical about that and I don't know if it was a painkiller or not. It was a report that doesn't have a lot of detail to it. Was the report due to what Rich Tander and the rest of the media recieved from the NFL or was it from Rob Jackson?

Wow! A guy that played well for the team and even got his own thread saying maybe his emergence could make Orkapo expendable and he gets busted for a banned substance. I guess his play last year was possibly "performance enhanced." We don't need players like this because it hurts the team. But I can forgive someone for being a first time offender but when it happens multiple times is when it is time to get rid of them.

how many people would call a painkiller a performance enhancer?

You are correct. We are speculating given the fact it was reported he took something for a toothache. No- we don't know what it actually was. But aren't you sort of doing the same thing? Speculating by making the guy look like he took something for ****s and giggles? All I'm doing is giving him the benefit of the doubt considering none of us really know what the circumstances were or what he took.

I agree with you that we are all speculating but nothing but a twitter conversation gives us a possible reason for the positive test. I don't see how I am speculating when I originally questioned the validity of someone else's post that stated Jackson took Tylenol w/codeine when there is no proof of that anywhere? How is it speculating that I question the reason why he was suspended? Where did the information come from? Did the NFL say it was painkillers or was that Jackson's explanation? If it is just for a pain killer like tylenol w/codeine, why is it on the banned list? Is it because they feel it is a performance enhancing drug or is it that it is against the rule to take someone else's prescription drugs? That is not pure speculation but more curiousity. I just have never heard of someone getting suspended from using "unprescribed painkillers?"

how many people would call a painkiller a performance enhancer?

I would. I don't think that's necessarily the case with Jackson, though.

Why is it a performance enhancer? In my opinion, and my opinion only, there are some pains that impact your ability to play at a high level. If a doctor didn't prescribe a painkiller to you, they didn't see it as a necessity. Taking one anyways greatly increases your ability to play despite nagging pain in the short term. However, in the long term it also allows you to further injure yourself and effect your quality of life without your body's natural response to pain giving you a warning to impending danger.

So it's a slippery slope. It's certainly not a performance enhancer in any direct sense. It's the indirect sense that makes it an "iffy" proposition.

Why is it a performance enhancer? In my opinion, and my opinion only, there are some pains that impact your ability to play at a high level. If a doctor didn't prescribe a painkiller to you, they didn't see it as a necessity. Taking one anyways greatly increases your ability to play despite nagging pain in the short term. However, in the long term it also allows you to further injure yourself and effect your quality of life without your body's natural response to pain giving you a warning to impending danger.

So it's a slippery slope. It's certainly not a performance enhancer in any direct sense. It's the indirect sense that makes it an "iffy" proposition.

Well, that is a good argument and an opinion that i didnt consider at all. Good argument. I guess it really can go either way.

Yeah, then cortizone is a performance enhancer as well... motrin, bananas, green tea, turkey breast, vaseline, preperation H, toe nail clippers, food, water, gatorade, toilet paper, onions, and low calorie fiber one bars.

I agree with that because it does allow them to do what you say. Since I was getting bashed for calling painkillers a PED I thought I would look it up and found this article that kind of states both sides of the issue from a doctors point of view.

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2009/02/ask-the-doc-are-narcotic-painkillers-performance-enhancing-drugs.

The article was about MMA fighting but it does mention footbal and other violent contact sports. Here are two quotes from the article:

Painkillers may enhance preparation but would provide very little potential direct advantage during a bout.

If painkillers allow an injured athlete to continue training when he/she otherwise could have not, the painkiller could be construed as indirectly enhancing future performance.

So it kind of goes along with what you stated.

Archived