Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins recieve zero compensatory picks for 2013

MadMonkey

Didn't really expect us to.

Using ESPN's handy dandy free agent webpage for the 2012 offseason: http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/freeagency/?year=2012&team=28

we added (only counting guys who made the final roster):

- Garcon

- Morgan

- Meriweather

- M. Williams

- Kehl (sorta, re-upped him mid-season)

Meanwhile, we lost (again, counting guys who made other rosters):

- Rocky McIntosh

- LaRon Landry

- Sean Locklear

- Donte Stallworth (again, sorta, he played 1 game last season)

No one knows the super secret formula the NFL uses to figure out who gets what picks, but we probably wouldn't qualify except under very lax formulas, which would probably work against us since it would mean other teams got even more compensatory picks.

For those who didn't see the complete list of the picks

2013 NFL Draft compensatory picks

Rd

No./Overall

Team

3rd round

33/95

Houston Texans

34/96

Kansas City Chiefs

35/97

Tennessee Titans

4th round

33/130

Baltimore Ravens

34/131

San Francisco 49ers

35/132

Detroit Lions

36/133

Atlanta Falcons

5th round

33/166

Miami Dolphins

34/167

Green Bay Packers

35/168

Baltimore Ravens

6th round

33/201

Houston Texans

34/202

Tennessee Titans

35/203

Baltimore Ravens

36/204

Kansas City Chiefs

37/205

Oakland Raiders

38/206

Pittsburgh Steelers

7th round

33/239

Philadelphia Eagles

34/240

Cincinnati Bengals

35/241

Seattle Seahawks

36/242

Seattle Seahawks

37/243

Atlanta Falcons

38/244

Atlanta Falcons

39/245

Detroit Lions

40/246

San Francisco 49ers

41/247

Baltimore Ravens

42/248

Tennessee Titans

43/249

Atlanta Falcons

44/250

Miami Dolphins

45/251

Cincinnati Bengals

46/252

San Francisco 49ers

47/253

New York Giants

48/254

Indianapolis Colts

Giants got picks even though they didn't lose more people than they signed

That's part of the ever changing "Mara ****s the Rest of the NFC East" Rule voted in several years ago. Actually, voted in by Mara and his ****es in 2012.

I hate that team, more then words can describe...

Welp, next year we might get some. We lost Lorenzo and might lose Hall and Davis. We're also probably going to lose Chris Wilson, Cedric Griffin, Madeiu Williams and Banks, though I'm not sure those guys are going to help us with comp. picks.

You know, looking at all the names on our team that were Free Agents and we kept has made me feel better about this whole thing (guys we re-signed in bold):

Chris Cooley

Fred Davis

Sav Rocca

Jordan Black

Tyler Polumbus

Kory Lichtensteiger

Kedric Golston

Rob Jackson

Lorenzo Alexander

Bryan Kehl

Chris Wilson

Cedric Griffin

Madieu Williams

Chris Baker

Logan Paulsen

Darrel Young

Brandon Banks

Nick Sundberg

If we re-sign Davis and Hall I think it's safe to say that we beat the cap penalty since this team is going to go into the 2013 season with the same young roster that just won the NFC East. A young roster that has a lot of guys on it who have yet to reach their primes.

But with the exception of Lorenzo Alexander (and maaaaybe Cedric Griffin), I think it's fair to say we signed back all of the guys who were worthy.

---------- Post added March-18th-2013 at 09:44 PM ----------

My God, looking at it again the Ravens get a 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th. Wow.

They're going to get a half-dozen 3rd rounders next year the way things are going.

I'm starting to think they have the secret sauce the NFL uses to come up with this number and just let their guys go. Shoot, it's worth it when you get this many picks. Who did they lose last year?

---------- Post added March-18th-2013 at 10:02 PM ----------

I just keep getting angrier every time any news comes out lately because of that damn cap penalty. Like you said, they're going to be awarded a ton of picks next year AND WE DON'T EVEN GET THE BENEFIT OF SIGNING ANY OF THEIR GUYS. ARGGHH....

Think about this now. All these teams are getting compensatory picks because they lost players via Free Agency. Players WE COULDN'T REALLY GO AFTER. So we don't benefit because we can't go after as many FAs as we'd like but we also get screwed in that every single round we have a pick in after the 3rd round is going to have less of a choice of players on our board relating to the amount of compensatory picks awarded.

Ok, that was a hard sentence to read, I know. :ols:

Let me make it easier:

For instance, our 4th round pick will miss out on the 3 players taken by the Texans, Chiefs and Titans. And we all know the Texans target similar players that we do. Did we get any Free Agents from those 3 teams last year? Nope. Our 5th round picks will have 4 players taken off our boards by the 49ers, Ravens, Lions and Falcons. The only Free Agent we signed from those teams was Morgan, and I don't think that's why the 49ers got awarded that pick.

This cap penalty is hurting us in so many ways it's so damn frustrating. :(

I don't like the idea of compensatory picks anyway. As someone else above mentioned, how in the hell can one team gain an additional 3, 4, 5, 6 pick?! They lost Grubbs who they spent a late first on, got 5 strong years out of and because he left they get a 3rd? Nakamura is a 6th round pick who has had multiple injuries and they get equal or greater pick than what he was picked at? Zbikowski just got released by the team that picked him up yet the Ravens get compensated for him? Redding went to his 3rd team in 3 years with the Ravens and they get a comp pick for him too? Johnson was a 4th round pick who they got 9 years out of but the league says "sure let's give you what you got him for even though he only has a couple years left in the tank" -

thats some competitive advantage if I've ever seen it. Falcons got comp. picks for 2 guys that were with other teams for a string of years before and were only with them for 1 year?

/End of rant

Something I've always wondered: can you trade comp picks or are you stuck with them? It would make sense if you were, what with the reasoning behind handing them out and all.

You cannot trade comp picks.

EDIT: santa4prez beat me to it.

I've never understood this process. Why should the Ravens get so many draft picks in compensation because their strategy is to never pay anyone or because they mismanaged their cap and lost 10 players this year? That doesn't make any sense to reward them for that. Let them refill with their regular picks and sort through the trash heap to fill out their roster like other teams do.

If this is the case for compensery pics then how come we didn't receive anything for what happened to the late Sean Taylor? Like steve09rus said you draft someone he lasts so long and then loose him to free agency and bam... So if that's the case we lost Taylor and got jack....

I've never understood this process. Why should the Ravens get so many draft picks in compensation because their strategy is to never pay anyone or because they mismanaged their cap and lost 10 players this year? That doesn't make any sense to reward them for that. Let them refill with their regular picks and sort through the trash heap to fill out their roster like other teams do.

Agreed - if you're going to give away free picks then at least have a better method where you are not rewarding a team for faults of their own.

If they want to make-up for those losses and make things more competitive then only allow compensation picks for teams that a. didn't make the playoffs or b. had under a .500 record

You cannot trade them.
You cannot trade comp picks.

EDIT: santa4prez beat me to it.

Thanks, guys. Glad that's how it is, too - it just makes sense.

---------- Post added March-19th-2013 at 08:02 PM ----------

Agreed - if you're going to give away free picks then at least have a better method where you are not rewarding a team for faults of their own.

If they want to make-up for those losses and make things more competitive then only allow compensation picks for teams that a. didn't make the playoffs or b. had under a .500 record

That's a really good idea.

I don't know the complete formula, but I know it factors in regular season record not playoffs. The Ravens were 12-4 in 2011 and dropped to 10-6 in 2012. Cory Redding and Tom Zbikowski going to the Colts and their record improving to 11-5 from 2-14 the year before probably played a big part. The Ravens winning the Super Bowl is a none factor.

In Landry's case he signed with Jets who were worse and the Skins improved their record by 5 games, so no compensatory draft pick.

Archived