Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo Sports: Late Fax = Elvis Dumervil is a Free Agent

Dan T.

Let me get this out of the way early... Should we?

Okay, now the news. The Denver Broncos were forced to release Elvis Dumervil when they missed a paperwork deadline. He agreed to a contract restructure only a half hour before a deadline that would create a $13 million cap hit because his existing contract. But when they didn't get the paperwork signed in time, they had to cut him one minute before the deadline to avoid the huge cap hit.

From Yahoo's Shutdown Corner blog:

Several sources reported on Friday that defensive end Elvis Dumervil agreed to a 2013 pay cut that would reduce his base salary from $12 million to $8 million. Reports indicated that Dumervil agreed to the pay cut a mere 30 minutes from the 4:00 p.m. ET deadline. At that point, the Broncos would have released Dumervil to avoid his salary strapped to their 2013 salary cap.

Here's the apparent problem, though -- according to Mike Klis of the Denver Post, Dumervil's agent, Marty Magid, failed to fax the paperwork back to the Broncos in time. So, the Broncos had to release Dumervil to avoid taking a $13.6 million total hit. Whoops!

"These are the deals that wrench your gut," Broncos executive vice-president John Elway told the Denver Post on Thursday. "As an ex-player, I hate to see that. I hated to see that happen to a teammate. And I hate having to do it, in the position I'm in. But I've got to do what's best for this football team."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/denver-broncos-elvis-dumervil-takes-considerable-pay-cut-201656213--nfl.html

If Dumervil really did want to stay with the Broncos,there's plenty of blame to go around - between Elvis, his agent, and the Broncos. Veretax, I didn't see what the cap hit was for releasing him... it's likely cap relief though, not a cap hit.

This sounds more like a screw up by dummervil and his agent than anything on the bronco's part. What were they supposed to do if they were never notified by the player and his agent?
This was definitely not Denver's fault. Their hands were tied. Basically, Dumervil's agent is a dumbass.

The thread title is completely false and should be edited. The Broncos didn't screw up, the agent did. The only thing that MIGHT be the Bronco's fault is waiting to get an agreement made, but with how this went down, I'd give the team the benefit of the doubt that they had been working on this for awhile, but the agent screwed the pooch there, too.

Fired his agent. Agent waived the 5-day waiting period to get a new one, to save some face...

I think it's pretty obvious whose fault this is. Dumervil must be furious.

I think Dumervil has to take some of the blame. He decided to reject the offer and then changed his mind. If he had met the Broncos 1pm deadline to accept the restructured contract it wouldn't of happened. Sounds more like Dumervil fired his agent to try and save face with the Broncos.

I think Dumervil has to take some of the blame. He decided to reject the offer and then changed his mind. If he had met the Broncos 1pm deadline to accept the restructured contract it wouldn't of happened. Sounds more like Dumervil fired his agent to try and save face with the Broncos.
No, no. His agent waited until the last minute to fax the agreement. That's just asking for trouble. His agent is completely to blame and was justly fired.

And yeah, the thread title is definitely wrong. I agree, it needs editing.

No, no. His agent waited until the last minute to fax the agreement. That's just asking for trouble. His agent is completely to blame and was justly fired.

And yeah, the thread title is definitely wrong. I agree, it needs editing.

According to the story the agent got the contract from Denver 15 minutes before the deadline, then had to fax it to Elvis to sign and fax back. When you play it that close things can happen. But if Elvis hadn't rejected the deal in the first place it wouldn't have happened.

Let me get this out of the way early... Should we?

Okay, now the news.

Jesus, Dan. You've been around plenty long enough to know how to properly format a thread title based on an article. And then you also misrepresent the matter in your error on top of it. Please fix it.

According to the story the agent got the contract from Denver 15 minutes before the deadline, then had to fax it to Elvis to sign and fax back. When you play it that close things can happen. But if Elvis hadn't rejected the deal in the first place it wouldn't have happened.
Ok, I admit I didn't read the story. However, I heard a different version of what happened on a sports talk radio show a day later, and it didn't quite happen that way, according to this host. And I tend to side with this host, as Dumervil ended up firing his agent. That leads me to believe that the story the host was telling, was probably closer to the truth.

At any rate, I think we both can agree that this should have never happened. A guy who was agreeing to take 4 million less to play with a team, should still be with that team. It should have never came down to the last minute. I would be truly pissed if I were Dumervil. He may not end up getting what he had planned on signing with Denver. Plus he will likely end up on a worse team. Unless it's NE, or someone, who I'm sure will have interest.

Archived