Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: NFL cracks down on fake jerseys; Record $13.6 million worth of counterfeit NFL merchandise seized

heyholetsgogrant

NFL cracks down on fake jerseys

Updated: February 3, 2013, 10:14 AM ET

By Darren Rovell | ESPN.com

The NFL, in cooperation with government authorities, announced on Thursday that it had seized a record $13.6 million worth of counterfeit NFL merchandise this season in a nationwide enforcement effort called "Operation Red Zone."

That total included a bust in Warwick, R.I., in September, when the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement's (ICE) Homeland Security Investigations, with an assist from U.S. Customs and Border Protection and U.S. Postal Inspection Service, seized 226 boxes ...

Source:ESPN

http://espn.go.com/espn/conversations/_/id/8900519/nfl-us-government-score-record-bust-fake-jerseys

I suggest you see the video in the link, but damn counterfeit jerseys are getting better every year.

Who WOULDN'T buy a fake jersey is the question. Same material at 25% the cost. The NFL is pretty much asking for it the way they charge for jerseys. I actually think it is kind of said people are even willing to pay those prices in the first place.

And this raid is meaningless, the real counterfeit market is the overseas websites, $25 for the jersey, $15 or so for shipping and you have the exact same thing as an authentic besides the NFL saying "we deem you as being worth $200"

It's just typical of the way the these huge companies do business. They see a consumer base that can't afford to buy their products so instead of trying to throw them a bone and lower the prices whatsoever to be more accommodating, they go after places folks can find them cheaper.

Never has worked, never will work.

Because they look almost exactly the same as a real one, but $200 dollars cheaper. Why anyone would buy a real authentic is beyond me.

That's what I'm saying. Why not buy a fake that looks just like the real thing and pay half as much? To hell with paying $250 to wear another man's name on your back.

I've never purchased a fake jersey but I've never cared if anyone else did.
Oh, I don't care if they do. I'm saying I (<--channeling my inner Larry there) wouldn't ever buy one. And that's not to say I think I'm better than anyone, or I think people that buy them are any less of a fan. I just think they look awful.

---------- Post added February-23rd-2013 at 10:38 PM ----------

Because they look almost exactly the same as a real one, but $200 dollars cheaper. Why anyone would buy a real authentic is beyond me.
Fake jerseys look nothing like authentics. None that I've ever seen, anyway. But like I said, to each his own.

---------- Post added February-23rd-2013 at 10:42 PM ----------

Who WOULDN'T buy a fake jersey is the question. Same material at 25% the cost. The NFL is pretty much asking for it the way they charge for jerseys. I actually think it is kind of said people are even willing to pay those prices in the first place.

And this raid is meaningless, the real counterfeit market is the overseas websites, $25 for the jersey, $15 or so for shipping and you have the exact same thing as an authentic besides the NFL saying "we deem you as being worth $200"

I don't own any authentics. I agree, while authentics look great, there's no way in hell I'm paying that for a jersey. I say that, but I might make an exception one day for Griffin.:) But I doubt it. I'm not really a jersey guy. Could probably spot a fake a mile away though.

Oh, I don't care if they do. I'm saying I (<--channeling my inner Larry there) wouldn't ever buy one. And that's not to say I think I'm better than anyone, or I think people that buy them are any less of a fan. I just think they look awful.

---------- Post added February-23rd-2013 at 10:38 PM ----------

Fake jerseys look nothing like authentics. None that I've ever seen, anyway. But like I said, to each his own.

---------- Post added February-23rd-2013 at 10:42 PM ----------

I don't own any authentics. I agree, while authentics look great, there's no way in hell I'm paying that for a jersey. I say that, but I might make an exception one day for Griffin.:) But I doubt it. I'm not really a jersey guy. Could probably spot a fake a mile away ( I see them all the time at games).

I disagree with, "They Look awful." I understand that's your opinion, but some of the RGIII fakes I have seen are pretty damn good and not far off from the real ones. If you look at the video piece they Head of the NFL merchandise was spotting all these little differences and even mentioned the "Tagging/Stickers." When the San Fran Fan who got his Kaepernick jersey and took it out of the bag from China, it looked pretty darn good....Even the host looked kind of surprised. However, NHL jersey's are the worst for fakes, I can spot them from a mile away ( I see them at Caps games all the time).

I have both. When I go to a game and tailgate and have ribs some brats with mustard some drinks, I'd much rather have a stain on my $45 dollar fake than my 260 authentic.
That's understandable.

---------- Post added February-23rd-2013 at 10:47 PM ----------

I disagree with, "They Look awful." I understand that's your opinion, but some of the RGIII fakes I have seen are pretty damn good and not far off from the real ones. If you look at the video piece they Head of the NFL merchandise was spotting all these little differences and even mentioned the 'Tagging/Sickering". When the San Fran Fan who got his Kaepernick jersey and took it out of the bag from China, it looked pretty darn good....Even the host looked kind of surprised. However, HNL jersey's are the worst for fakes, I can spot them from a mile away.
Ok, "most" of them look awful. But like I said, to each their own. They aren't any less of a fan if they own one. Just wanted to make that clear.:)

There are good fakes and there are bad ones. I saw a Skins one recently that was two shades too red than burgundy and the "REDSKINS" stitching on the front looked awful. And that one didn't have any major flaws like a separation of the two sleeve stripes, numbers on the sholders and not sleeves, or the Riggins jersey out there that have the wrong font for the 44's.

Some team's uni is easier to fake as well. So for the story, a 49ers uni is pretty basic. But imagine following a Ravens fan with their getup with a different font and layered numbers. Probably would have been a disaster.

The Nike fakes are sooooooooo much better than the Reebok fakes. I brought somebody a fake Sean Taylor Reebok jersey 2 years ago for winning my fantasy league. I brought some RG3 fakes for Christmas presents... I'm telling y'all, those Nike fakes look like the real deal. Nobody could tell the difference. Even the tags looked the same on the jerseys. They had to come from the same factory.

I buy the replica jerseys. I bought a 75th anniversary authentic on sale at the draft day party in 2008. I have yet to buy one of the new Nike jerseys. I would like to buy a new Elite Griffin, but honestly I can't see spending that kind of money. I wonder what it actually costs to produce those things versus the price they ask. I bet the difference is astronomical.

Why anyone would buy a fake jersey is beyond me.

I don't have one early, but the way the NFL prices their jerseys make me get it. Do you really want to spend 100 bucks for what boils down to a fancy t-shirt?

I haven't bought a fake either, but if someone wants to rock the colors, but not spend a fortune the incentive is strong. Though as a believer in trademarks, copyrights, etc. I don't think we should.

I don't have one early, but the way the NFL prices their jerseys make me get it. Do you really want to spend 100 bucks for what boils down to a fancy t-shirt?

I was in retail when they were 75 bucks, but Reebok would allow retailers to mark them down as low as 60. But then Reebok reversed course and wouldn't allow markdowns. Our guess was that it has to do with pressure from NFL's online store.

I'd certainly rather see someone in a good fake than a horrendous BRUCE SMITH official jersey, though. Hurts my eyes!

Archived