Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SOW: Defending Redskins Name on ESPN Outside the Lines

Soup

I knew I shouldn't have watched the full thing. :doh:

Then this idiot Dave Zirin talking about they going to change the team name by 2018. :ols:

Man I hope Snyder puts as many Redskins logos and wordings as he can on the field. If they want to whine and cry give them something to whine and cry about. I can't believe we are getting attacked like this when other teams are doing the same things.

I don't know if I would say this on TV per say, but nobody has yet to answer the question why are Native Americans/Indians aren't defending this as hard as White Americans are. It's crazy....

My opinion is that this country has become too politically correct and that people are media crazy. Any soapbox they can project from they will, about anything. IMO it has gotten out of hand. I am all for freedom of speech, but....aaahhhh I don't even want to go there. If the amount of energy that was spent by people running their mouths was used on something positive, this country would be in better shape. It is not a political statement.

It's funny. Many people in the world want to come here. I go to other countries to get away from here. Especially the DC area. Very proud American, but some things absolutely drive me nuts. Then I go to other countries and see that their media is trying to copy what we are doing. I shake my head.

If some crazy percentage of Native Americans really were offended? Then I could see the feasibility of considering this. I think a lot of it is that people hate DC, the mayor, the President (any party) lives here, the Redskins or some other bias towards our city/team. Look at how few really stood up for serious human rights issues (Germany, Somalia, Bosnia, Rwanda, Darfur, etc...) when some very bad things were happening (i.e. mass genocide). We tend to blow up the little stuff and ignore the big things.

Rant over...sorry

I hate for this to be my first post...

While your points were valid, please don't use the word (sic) "irregardless" on national television while trying to make an intelligent argument.

Hahaha. That tweaks me too and I heard him say it.

While your points were valid, please don't use the word (sic) "irregardless" on national television while trying to make an intelligent argument.

i caught that as well. but, i try to chew the meat and spit out the bones. he did pretty good job in defending his position.. :ols:

Hahaha. That tweaks me too and I heard him say it.

Psssh, I'm a grammar nazi and I didn't even notice. Irregardless, I reckon he gets a pass.

The prescriptive rules of grammar do not apply to speech, learn the difference between spoken & written English before creating an ES account just to be a language maven.

That being said, awesome job today! The pretentiousness of these talking heads concerning the skins absolutely infuriates me. It's seems so out of the blue... Not to jump into conspiracies, but since I love blaming Mara for everything I'm pinning this one on him as well. That snake would probably love nothing more than to continue the unjust harassment of the skins.

Most people don't realize that irregardless is not a word because it is used too often and not corrected.

Ray definitely spoke well on the subject. Wish there was more to this vid with the detractors stating their arguments. Nonetheless, excellent job portraying the fanbase and sticking up for the vast majority of folks who support our name and take pride in it.

For me, the more I think about this contrived controversy...I see one thing that is obviously being missed by those that are so determined the team must change it's name. I think many of those that are against the name are using experiences or their knowledge of the civil rights movement with the African American community, and how any name that would point out or allude to their skin tone would most likely "offend" them. I think by and large most African Americans would abhor a team that was called the "Blackskins" while the same cannot be said by and large for Native Americans. Again, by and large it seems many Native Americans do not mind being associated with the term "Redskin" even if they believe the name is referring to their "red" skin, which is certainly up for debate in and of itself.

...it's late, I hope I am making sense here.

The prescriptive rules of grammar do not apply to speech, learn the difference between spoken & written English before creating an ES account just to be a language maven.

That being said, awesome job today! The pretentiousness of these talking heads concerning the skins absolutely infuriates me. It's seems so out of the blue... Not to jump into conspiracies, but since I love blaming Mara for everything I'm pinning this one on him as well. That snake would probably love nothing more than to continue the unjust harassment of the skins.

I've lurked for years but I've never felt the need to post...

You argue grammar, but my point is the correct usage or words. I am simply pointing out that you should try and use them correctly when on national television arguing that we are an intelligent fanbase.

Oh...and irregardless is not a word.

You all are making a large mistake in this whole argument. The people who demand we change the name don't care about the history and reasons behind the name. They don't care....they don't like the name and demand we change it and if you disagree with them you are a mean and stupid person. Facts don't matter, all that matters is that you do what they say and that is that. It is a sad commentary that facts and reason go by the wayside in the name of "political correctness". You really can't have a discussion with them. Acting like a reasonable logical fact based discussion will bring about a change in their views is folly.

Hey guys InsaneBoost has the whole thing on his computer and is getting ready to have it ready ill hook the link up for ya!

I enjoyed hearing what you had to say, Ray. Finally one of us was GIVEN the platform to speak up on this subject. However limited it may have been.

I really have no desire to watch the rest of it. Their point has been in the spotlight for a couple months now. Enough is enough.

Archived