Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SOW: Defending Redskins Name on ESPN Outside the Lines

Soup

SB26 outside of the Metrodome. CBS gave a Native leader face time shortly before kickoff with the sign holders in the background. Cowboys game at RFK in Dec of 1992. Local news covered the protest, I walked right past the mob going in to the game. Both instances pissed me off. I thought they were just messing w/ our :pooh: bc we'd been so awesome for so long.

This is outrageous. Again Ray -- great job stepping up to the plate when basically you were supposed to be a punching bag.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/02/22/redskins-name-debate-is-more-redskins-cowboys-than-anything/

Especially listen to the audio at the end of the article.

Thanks for posting that link. Great article and good to hear the point of view of the guy they pulled the rug out from under.

This is outrageous. Again Ray -- great job stepping up to the plate when basically you were supposed to be a punching bag.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/02/22/redskins-name-debate-is-more-redskins-cowboys-than-anything/

Especially listen to the audio at the end of the article.

“They are trying to create a situation where they can drive up all the support, all the members of the media can congratulate themselves on how enlightened they are, and how ‘We’re so forward thinking, we’re beating this white, stocky radio dumb idiot bully. We’re browbeating him into a corner. Look at how tough we are. We’re great. And when the evil billionaire won’t change the name, we’ll have righteousness on our side.’ That’s what they’re trying to create.”

Call it pulling back the curtain. Call it transparency. Call it what you will, but there is a concerted effort to make you feel like supporting the team name is morally wrong.

this excerpt from the article is 100% accurate.

about freaking time people with common sense stood up to the media elitists.

seriously.

Just observing that claiming a vast media conspiracy is out to get you, makes you look, well, at least Republican. :)

Just me, but I'd stick with "It's not offensive, and here's the proof."

Yeah, I don't think it's a conspiracy or anything, but I do get the feeling that there are journalists that hope to make this a story so they can make a name for themselves. As I said earlier in the thread: everyone wants to be Shirley Povich without actually having the skill and courage of Shirley Povich.

Just observing that claiming a vast media conspiracy is out to get you, makes you look, well, at least Republican. :)

Just me, but I'd stick with "It's not offensive, and here's the proof."

I agree.

I would also add that you have to remember that it doesn't seem offensive to us Redskins fans in part because we are predisposed to feel good about the name of our team. Not everyone comes at the question from that starting point.

For humor, let me show you a video clip of how the argument can seem from the other side -

WARNING - clip is intended to be humorous, and not a perfect analogy. Watch with grain of salt at hand - also strong language.

Archived