Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Baltimore Orioles 2013 Thread

TD_washingtonredskins

I say we're already better off than we were at this point last year. I mean hey, no Wilson Betemit starting at 3rd. :)

I wouldn't go so far as to say all the 1 run/extra inning games last year were luck. They were very gritty. fantastic bullpen kept them in a lot of games. Once they got a full year under Adair as pitching coach, things really started coming together. This is a team that really lacked any kind of constants in the previous decade. Having all the same pieces in place will help them a lot. I'm not going to suggest they'll do as well as last year, but i don't see us 4th or 5th in the ALE.

I guess "luck" is a bad choice of words because nothing fluky happened to win those games (at least not most of them). But I guess it's just tough to count on those odds again. One-run games really should go either way. Sure, the better teams might win a few more, but still. So, over the course of the season we just seemed to win more than you would expect.

However, if we got incrementally better, it's possible that some of those one-run wins from 2012 turn into three-run wins in 2013. So, I don't really presume to know that our "luck" will turn this year, but the staggering one-run and extra-inning success probably can't be replicated.

From a Nats fan who doesn't follow the O's much, are you expecting Bundy to start in the majors, or are they going to put him in the minors until June so they can keep him under control for an extra year? I'm curious to see what Balti-Strasburg is capable of.

Oh, and not trying to be mean or start anything, but I don't expect Baltimore to repeat last year. Your record in 1 run games and extra innings was astonishing and probably not sustainable. You had a couple of guys who I think will regress somewhat, Jason Hammel immediately springs to mind, and I question whether Adam Jones season was just a peak of everything coming together, or whether he truly has taken the next step. Don't get me wrong, I like Jones and think he's a great player, but I always thought of him as a decent bat with some power, and great defense. I didn't foresee him outhitting his career batting average by 10-15 points and cracking 32 bombs, or exceed his previous best OPS by nearly 50 points, so I do wonder if he's going to do it again.

I kind of hope Baltimore does pull it off. Not because I like Baltimore, I've made it pretty clear in the past that I do not, but I do enjoy it when our fanbases are able to go at each other.

You can ignore the middle part if you want, but I would like an answer regarding Bundy. Are they definitely keeping him down until June/July?

You can ignore the middle part if you want, but I would like an answer regarding Bundy. Are they definitely keeping him down until June/July?

I think he'll start in the minors for sure. We have a ton of pitching depth, so we don't really have a spot for him at the moment. He'll definitely be up at some point this year, I'm hoping sooner rather than later. I think if someone struggles early or gets hurt, he'll be the first call up.

Sorry, I don't think anyone was ignoring you. Like Matt said, probably a sure bet he starts in the minors. I'd say double A with promotion to triple A by the all-star break and another cup of coffee in the majors at the end of the season.

Bundy would have to amaze to break with the big club. And even then, there are already too many options.

Hammel, Chen, Tillman and Gonzo are rotation locks with a small army of candidates for the 5 in Arrieta, Jurrjens (assuming they finish the deal with his one knee) Britton, Matusz, Hunter, and Johnson. Odds are Bundy and Gausman are behind them. I bet the organization is really hoping that Arreita comes around and wins the spot. Matusz was great in the pen, Britton has options, Hunter/Johnson can be relievers. Jurrjens in the mix as well.

If Bundy dominates in Spring Training, he will start the season in the rotation.

As far as the O's repeating, it all comes down to starting pitching. Can the surprises of last years rotation continue to have success?

I don't see Bundy on the opening day roster. He still needs abit more control on some of his pitches.

I don't see Bundy on the opening day roster. He still needs abit more control on some of his pitches.

I have no idea, but if he is it will only be because he earned it. I think one of the best possibilities with Bundy is that he starts off as the #5 starter so he isn't matching up with Aces right out of the gate.

Good question. I still can't believe Chen lead the teams in win last year with 12 lol. Let's shoot for a 15 game winner this year Bang. Baby steps haha
I'll take Gonzalez to get closest to 20

~Bang

Tillman and Gonzo are probably the most likely of the staff.

I knew Matusz pitched well out of the pen, but I just looked it up. 1.35 ERA, 14/14 in preventing inherited runners. DAMN! :ols:

JakeA as a reliever...not so much. He just gave up big dingers. I still think he can be an excellent starter. Then again, I was convinced Matt Riley would be as well.

JakeA as a reliever...not so much. He just gave up big dingers. I still think he can be an excellent starter.

Me too. I hope they give Arrieta another shot at starting. I think it a lot of it was mental with him. He has a great arm and great stuff. Turns 27 next month. He can be a serviceable 5th starter at the least.

Solid win yesterday, according to Roch, Jair, who started today, topped out at 93 and set em down 1-2-3 so that is an excellent start for him. Chris Davis had an excellent game yesterday offensively and defensively. At this point I'd say his defense is gonna be one of the big things to watch in ST, Buck said he's looked good in practice and he made 2 great plays yesterday so he's off to a nice start.

We still need a DH upgrade badly IMO.

I have no problem with the trio of McClouth/Reimold/Wilson sharing the DH duties. If Reimold can stay healthy (huge if) I think our offense is going to be awesome.

Thought you O's fans might want to know.

Curtis Granderson broke his forearm after being hit by a pitch today. He will be out til May reports are saying.

I don't root for injuries, but I do enjoy Yankee misfortune.

The Yankees are in trouble. ARod out the season, Granderson out at least a month, Martin, Soriano and Swisher left town, and they're one year older for their declining guys...their lineup outside of Cano scares nobody.

Archived