Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

'American Sniper' author Chris Kyle fatally shot at Texas gun range

@DCGoldPants

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/03/16823532-american-sniper-author-chris-kyle-fatally-shot-at-texas-gun-range?lite

'American Sniper' author Chris Kyle fatally shot at Texas gun range

former Navy SEAL who wrote "American Sniper," a best-selling book about his lethal career as a marksman in Iraq, was shot to death with another man at a gun range near Stephenville, Texas, on Saturday.

Chris Kyle, 38, and the other man were found dead at the shooting range of Rough Creek Lodge on Saturday afternoon, Texas Highway Patrol spokesman Lonny Haschel told KXAS.

The gunman, identified as Eddie Ray Routh of Lancaster, Texas, was arrested after a brief pursuit, Trooper Haschel said. The other victim was named as Chad Littlefield, aged 35.

Kyle, a Texas native who grew up hunting, served four tours in Iraq with Navy SEAL Team 3. His shooting during battles in Ramadi and Fallujah became legendary, and insurgents nicknamed him the "Devil of Ramadi" and put a bounty on his head.

He was credited with 160 confirmed kills, including one in 2008 in which he said he fired from 2,100 yards away -- 1.2 miles.

The Star-Telegram described him as "America's deadliest sniper."

Haschel said Routh is believed to have shot the victims at around 3:30 p.m. local time (4:30 p.m. ET) before leaving the shooting range and returning to his home in Lancaster in a Ford pickup truck.

more after the link.

Crazy. Guy spends so much time in a warzone. Comes back, tries to work with people with PTSD and ends up getting murdered near home.

My first thought after I heard (besides condolances for his family), was that he had a price on his head while serving in the Middle East. Couldn't help but think if it was somehow related to that. Most who serve in that capacity remain somewhat anonymous. Tragic, God Bless and Thank You for your service Chris Kyle.

1. Grow up with a strong desire to kill people for money

2. Enlist in unjust occupation of third-world country and kill lots of people for money.

3. Return home and write a book about how great you are at killing people...for money.

4. In an attempt to "give back", start taking mentally disturbed men, who also enjoy the idea of killing people, to gun ranges as a form of "therapy".

5. Receive bullet to the head from one of said men in event of startling predictability.

Early contender for a 2013 Darwin award, IMO. RIP.

We were bound to get one of those posts. I would've bet on what that was related to "gun control".

Should have expected the "If he only had a gun" or "only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun" stuff. Honestly, its all fair given the current events. I mean, this kind of proves its not that simple. You can have a gun, be an expert with it, and still not stop the bad guy.

I posted this because of all the dangerous places and situations he's been in, how it happened.

Should have expected the "If he only had a gun" or "only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun" stuff. Honestly, its all fair given the current events. I mean, this kind of proves its not that simple. You can have a gun, be an expert with it, and still not stop the bad guy.

I posted this because of all the dangerous places and situations he's been in, how it happened.

Few people that are looking for a "solution" actually believe it is that simple. This article should have been posted...I was talking about the natural selection take on it

2. Enlist in unjust occupation of third-world country and kill lots of people for money.

3. Return home and write a book about how great you are at killing people...for money.

4. In an attempt to "give back", start taking mentally disturbed men, who also enjoy the idea of killing people, to gun ranges as a form of "therapy".

5. Receive bullet to the head from one of said men in event of startling predictability.

He made a lot of money in the military?

I have no clue how much Seals get paid, but I know from my enlisted friends they do not make "a lot of money".

1. Grow up with a strong desire to remain ignorant.

2. Join Extremeskins and demonstrate you succeeded beyond your wildest dreams (Also clearly demonstrate a shortage of wisdom which you should have aquired by 43 - What happpened?).

My early contender for the 2013 idiotic post of the year.

Pay attention:

Having nothing to do with how often I agree or disagree with anything you post, I find you an interesting poster who often does make edgy commentary. The edgy, as is always the case, may be perceived in positive and negative manner by any given reader, but I use "edgy" here to differentiate from "trollish" or "stupidly provoking." While highly unpalatable to many, there is at least some thought in your position.

You also have 6 user notes, including three previous bans, and involving four different mods.

This post was shaky IMV, acceptability-wise, until the "Darwin" line which tipped it, even though you did tie it all together.

But in the end it's getting you a month off. Personally, I would hate to lose you as a poster for what you bring to the forum, nor would I want you to really change your style per se, but a "next time" will likely be permanent. So I'm encouraging you to use good judgment in the future.

BTW, shooting as a hobby can indeed be good therapy in such situations, and Kyle did more than take guys shooting.

Kyle also paired with FITCO Cares Foundation, a non-profit organization which created the Heroes Project to provide free in-home fitness equipment, individualized programs, personal training, and life-coaching to in-need veterans with disabilities, Gold Star families, or those suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder.

As someone who, for years, volunteers a fair amount of time to working with military personnel in such matters, and has my fair share of ethical/moral conflict with many aspects of the reality of what we do as a nation and a culture in combat, my personal take on it is anyone who does anything to help people like this will be missed. I admit I know nothing else about the man other than what surface media coverage I've seen.

But I have personally known one sniper, several SEALs, and enough other folks in the military all my life to believe as individuals, they deserve the benefit of any doubt, respect wise, when killed like this and not be a target for snark (my personal opinion, not related to your ban).

Had you left the Darwin thing out, your post might have been unpalatable or just stupid to many (not all) folk, but it wouldn't have resulted in the ban.

Funny, it's always the ignorant people like mboyd784, who judge people who do what they do. I'm sure Mr. Kyle didn't get paid "lots" of money, sure he got paid more then the average GI. Bottom line is what Mr. Kyle did in the middle east saved lives of his fellow soldiers and also allows idiots to post on these forums without too much of a threat of a terrorist attack. RIP Chris Kyle. You were a true hero who sacrificed for the freedoms we all have.

He made a lot of money in the military?

I have no clue how much Seals get paid, but I know from my enlisted friends they do not make "a lot of money".

When you take into account the hazardous duty pay, war-time pay, and alot of other things(housing for families, etc)he did alot better than some of us.

But then again, he liked killing.

When you take into account the hazardous duty pay, war-time pay, and alot of other things(housing for families, etc)he did alot better than some of us.

You do realize that the imminent danger and hazardous duty pay adds up to a grand total of about $375 per month, don't you? I certainly wouldn't call that making a lot of money.

he did much more than some of us

did he like killing?...or was it a job description?

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/03/justice/texas-sniper-killed/index.html

He said that while killing did not come easy at first, he knew it meant saving lives.

add

What if killing turns out to be the thing you were best at?

I know that's not true. I'm a better husband and father than I was a killer. I'm pretty comfortable with not having to kill anyone. Now, don't take deer hunting away from me.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2103753,00.html#ixzz2JrWRz4Js

some people need killing

In my current field, I'm a little fussy about how I use the word "need."

But I wouldn't mind saying that there are those who present themselves as far more qualified for consideration in the matter than others.

Maybe the reason that these thoughts come across as excessively (or even outrageously) judgmental is that they presume to understand the true motives of the people involved. It's entirely possible that Kyle joined the Navy out of a sense of duty to his fellow citizens and a willingness to sacrifice his life for the common good, as most do.

Yes, some experts have said that military combat units tend to attract a higher number of sociopaths than librarian work does, but the assertion that he was murdered by someone who "who also enjoy(s) the idea of killing people", has no discernible basis in fact, and begs the question of whether sociopaths are even susceptible to PTSD at all.

Also, the implication that wanting to make a good living and wanting to help people are mutually exclusive incentives is an idea that a lot of people will take exception to, and rightfully so.

In short, your post smell like poo. :)

twa, you & I have battled. Some of those battles might live on in infamy in our user notes.:ols:I'm ex-Navy and will never argue that getting bad guys out of our way needs to be done for the good of our Nation. I'll go with Jumbo's response as to the necessity of "killing'.

And to EBoz...I know the free food and quarters really suck, it depends on what you spend your $$ on, as all of us know after having to live without such benefits. (However, I did choose to spend my money on an apt (BAQ) and not have a chow-pass(I got COMRATS).

Nevermind that I was a TEENAGER, and getting my grip on how to deal, you know, with the civilian world.

In my current field, I'm a little fussy about how I use the word "need."

But I wouldn't mind saying that there are those who present themselves as far more qualified for consideration in the matter than others.

Quite right, I'm just a bit touchy about labeling people we train and send out to kill (that stay within our rules) as something other than volunteers that do our bidding.

My best to his family...and my thanks for the lives he saved

You have no clue what you're talking about.

Stay classy, mboyd.

Archived