Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com vs. NBA.com and MLB.com

gortiz

it makes me sick to go to NFL.com.

How can the NFL, with all it's resources and its giganitc fanbase have a website that in my opinion is so damn sloppy and UN-dynamic! :tantrum:

I'm not even talking about the content, which is not that bad, but just he site itself, the layout, the features, poor quality of video's ect.

DON'T GET ME STARTED ON THEIR MOBILE SITE! Even worse.

If you want to have an incredible online experiance with your phone, go to the NBA's mobile site. So nice. So many features, videos are in HD. They even have a chat room set up for every game, a dynamic chat room.

MLB's site is awesome ... works on tablets, PC's. the pitch by pitch tracker is great.

Anybody feel this way about the NFL's website?? I mean, don't tell me you are okay with it?? I'll beat you! :slap:

:rant:

The complaint I have about NFL.com is watching videos. Say you want to watch the highlights of the Packers-49ers game (and the game score info is still at the top of the screen). When you click on the game to bring up the game center (where the videos are held) it will automatically start playing the 1st video on the list. This video is almost never the highlights, and typically a highlight of one play, or a press conference after the game. A commercial which is unskippable begins playing right away. Say you click on another video to start playing that. Your commercial will finish, then another commercial will play (1 full minute of commercials now, typically about fantasy football on NFL.com which is highly annoying) and now the video plays. Only, in spite of being the video you wanted to see, it logs the change in video as being the end of the video which was originally playing and it automatically starts playing the video below the one you actually wanted to watch. You click the video you wanted to see, or the one above it and you are treated to another minute or two of commercials and you may not get the proper video.

I have learned to allow the first video to start playing for a little bit, then to turn off auto-play, then to click on the video I actually want. Sometimes it switches over without playing yet another commercial which is really nice. Its just that on NBA.com you have a 10 second commercial and then they get straight to the highlights. Videos don't play automatically when you click on game videos, etc.

I think the NFL probably does it because it bolsters the number of advertisements users are seeing, and I feel like the fact that the video section works so poorly is either by incompetence or design. The people who made it either made it so it functions poorly, or they made it so that confused users are more likely to watch 5 commercials in a row while attempting to watch the highlights of a particular game.

Oh well.

The complaint I have about NFL.com is watching videos.

yeah, good tip.

I agree the videos are brutal ... so nasty.

Just don't understand how the NFL could roll out such a crappy site.

Even the stats part of the site is half ass...nothing compared to profootballreference.com or even sportsline.com.

You know what Gortiz...... I'm glad you made a thread about this!! I think about this all of the time.

Every time I *USED to use the NFL app, was just terrible. I hated the fact that you needed a PAID subscription to watch videos, when you can watch them online for free. I finally deleted the app altogether.

---------- Post added January-16th-2013 at 08:25 PM ----------

ok then...leave. go to the nba and mlb and nhl. dont really care. and not every thought needs to be a thread...

This is one of the cool things about belonging to a great community!! I love negative posts like this because you are the one who took the time and came in here. BY CHOICE!!

NFL.com oddly enough has gotten worse. I used to check stats there all the time and the sort functions were messed up. They could absolutely do better.

ok then...leave. go to the nba and mlb and nhl. dont really care. and not every thought needs to be a thread...

Did you design it or something? :ols:

NFL.com oddly enough has gotten worse. I used to check stats there all the time and the sort functions were messed up. They could absolutely do better.

Did you design it or something? :ols:

no ****! I wanted to respond ... but I thought better.

---------- Post added January-17th-2013 at 11:49 AM ----------

Agreed that NFLN is 100 times better than both NBATV and MLBTV. NBATV is by far the worst.

don't want to hijack my own thread, cause I'm ripping .com and not the network, but I think NFL network could be A LOT BETTER! I mean, the Top 10 shows are old, and kind of annoying.

America' sGame is unreal, I'll give them that.

But how can't they have more GAMES????? I mean, it's like MTV ... its a reality show station now, not a music station. NFLN needs to show more damn games. I would love to flip it on see that next Thursday they are showing Brady's first game.

HOw cool would it be to show nothing but record breaking games ... like Jammal Lewis' rushing record game, or Brandon Marshall's 21-22 catch game. Derrick Thomas's 7 sack game.

Im in agreement with NFL.COM

I dont really hate it per se, but I find it harder and harder each season to find the information youre looking for.

Say I wanted to check Skins stuff from 2008 and 2009, its always a mess trying to navigate the site for the info. I find much more success on espn.com

I used to browse NFL.com all the time back in my senior year of high school, during study hall and comp lab classes, and back then it was one of my favorite sites. I haven't browsed it a lot since then, but I did go on there a couple months back, and it definitely was a mess to navigate through.

But how can't they have more GAMES????? I mean, it's like MTV ... its a reality show station now, not a music station. NFLN needs to show more damn games. I would love to flip it on see that next Thursday they are showing Brady's first game.

HOw cool would it be to show nothing but record breaking games ... like Jammal Lewis' rushing record game, or Brandon Marshall's 21-22 catch game. Derrick Thomas's 7 sack game.

I've been saying for years that they need to show more classic games in the offseason. They have about 12 games they show, but they play them over and over again. What about the Redskins-Raiders 1983 game (37-35) or the Redskins-Packers 1983 MNF (48-47)? There are SO many more things they could show than 6 straight repeat episodes of Total Access or Path to the Draft. Pisses me off really.

The absolute best sites for stats and the like are the reference sites. Easily the best sports sites in existence.

www.pro-football-reference.com/

www.basketball-reference.com/

www.baseball-reference.com/

www.hockey-reference.com/

So simple, so easy to use,.so exhaustive. Couldn't tell you the last time I went anywhere else to check for sports info.

---------- Post added January-17th-2013 at 03:20 PM ----------

And gortiz, sorry for bringing up NFLN, MLBTV and NBATV. Wasn't trying to hijack your thread. I just thought they fit the overall discussion.

The complaint I have about NFL.com is watching videos. Say you want to watch the highlights of the Packers-49ers game (and the game score info is still at the top of the screen). When you click on the game to bring up the game center (where the videos are held) it will automatically start playing the 1st video on the list. This video is almost never the highlights, and typically a highlight of one play, or a press conference after the game. A commercial which is unskippable begins playing right away. Say you click on another video to start playing that. Your commercial will finish, then another commercial will play (1 full minute of commercials now, typically about fantasy football on NFL.com which is highly annoying) and now the video plays. Only, in spite of being the video you wanted to see, it logs the change in video as being the end of the video which was originally playing and it automatically starts playing the video below the one you actually wanted to watch. You click the video you wanted to see, or the one above it and you are treated to another minute or two of commercials and you may not get the proper video.

I have learned to allow the first video to start playing for a little bit, then to turn off auto-play, then to click on the video I actually want. Sometimes it switches over without playing yet another commercial which is really nice. Its just that on NBA.com you have a 10 second commercial and then they get straight to the highlights. Videos don't play automatically when you click on game videos, etc.

I think the NFL probably does it because it bolsters the number of advertisements users are seeing, and I feel like the fact that the video section works so poorly is either by incompetence or design. The people who made it either made it so it functions poorly, or they made it so that confused users are more likely to watch 5 commercials in a row while attempting to watch the highlights of a particular game.

Oh well.

Oh man I totally 100% agree on the watching videos thing. So damn annoying. I used to love to go on NFL.com and watch highlight videos and look at the stat lists, but they changed their website all around within the last year and made it unbelievably difficult to navigate and find what you're looking for. It's hard to even look at the top 10 stat lists (passing yards leaders, sack leaders, INT leaders, etc...) anymore because they tried to get cute and just made it way worse. It was simple and clean (and much better) the way they did it before. They also made the "gamecenter" tabs complete ****.

And gortiz, sorry for bringing up NFLN, MLBTV and NBATV. Wasn't trying to hijack your thread. I just thought they fit the overall discussion.

No, on the contrary man, I had some opinions on NFLN as well ... I think it could so much better, but compared the website its great.

Archived