Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Playing Surface (Or: Why we need to evolve as an organization)

No_Pressure

The redskins aren't tied to Fed Ex per se, its just that Fed Ex bought naming rights to the stadium. Unlike most other pro teams and cities, the Redskins actually own the stadium that they built and paid for when JKC owned the team. They do not have a lease and see no reason to leave a stadium they own that is less than twenty years old.

The main problem is that they lease it out to concerts and other events throughout the year and it gets torn up

Yes they are. They are locked in to FedEx for at least the next 15 years. Lease runs through the 2027 season.

Maybe every system should be taken off the list because every team's field has had a debilitating injury on it.... right?

Well my point is directed to evryone who wants change "right now". All I'm saying is do some research and let's figure out what is best instead of the "the sky is falling and we have to do something to do something" approach I see here. People are mentioning....hey lets get a field like so and so, I like the way it looks....without doing any study to see what the injury rate for that turt/field is. I do think we need to do something, but take some time and research and do the right something.

Well my point is directed to evryone who wants change "right now". All I'm saying is do some research and let's figure out what is best instead of the "the sky is falling and we have to do something to do something" approach I see here. People are mentioning....hey lets get a field like so and so, I like the way it looks....without doing any study to see what the injury rate for that turt/field is. I do think we need to do something, but take some time and research and do the right something.

I agree... we probably have 6 months to figure it out and implement as an organization. I think we, as fans, can all have our preferences... the OP lays out a pretty strong argument for change.

I know Snyder has already said that the field will stay natural and I have no problem with that; but, if Snyder is really concerned about the state of the field late in the season then he needs to look at scaling back the amount of events that FedEx hosts..especially during the season.

I think an artificial surface certainly could work to our team's advantage with the way it is built currently but the romantic side of me would hate to not see grass and dirt stains all over the players at the end of a hard-fought game. There's nothing better than seeing a 4pm division game end under the lights with the players all stained up. Thats football..

We're you backing up what I said with a link or am I missing something?

Yes, I was.

Re-sodding a field won't work b/c the roots need time to grow. Also, I think we saw how the sand worked last Sunday.

I think in the case Thiebear is talking about, the sand goes under the sod to act as a base instead of getting dumped on top as a band-aid.

http://www.gardenguides.com/92933-grow-grass-sand-sod.html

This is the problem about the field and why they need to go ahead and start using Field Turf, or something synthetic with the grass woven into it. You have WAY too many events that happen at Fed Ex Field. You have soccer in May that happened last spring. Then you have 4 or 5 college football games that go on during the season. So combine 10 games the Redskins play and 6 other events that need to use the grass, and what you will have is a terrible field that we have seen. Remember last season after the Army and Navy game? That field was horrendous. All sorts of divots was coming up, and we had a game right after that if I recall. You have to incorporate some sort of field like what Cowboy Stadium, or Univ. of Phoenix Stadium has. They will have to invest in it some how. As some of you all know, those stadiums have different turfs for different occasions. The only time the Cowboys leave their field on is for the Texas State Championships. The Cardinals host the Fiesta Bowl, and I think they roll out some different turf for that. The bottom line is, you can't have various sporting events happen in the Stadium. I don't think back in the RFK days, they had someone play on the field at all. That lies one of the problems. If that is the case, do what they do at Sun Life Stadium in Miami(even though the climate is way different than here). They host ALL of Univ. of Miami games and the Dolphins, as well as 2 bowl games, and I'm pretty sure the Florida State Championship may happen down there(I could be wrong). But this can work out. Count me in for seeing Field Turf, or whatever they incorporate in Philly.

You have to incorporate some sort of field like what Cowboy Stadium, or Univ. of Phoenix Stadium has. They will have to invest in it some how. As some of you all know, those stadiums have different turfs for different occasions. .

I know it won't be the University of Phoenix solution. They roll their grass outside to grow. :ols:

univofphoenixstad03.jpg

Watching NFL action this weekend, NONE of the natural surfaces were exactly lush velvety green.

Dan T., remember when Candlestick was the crappiest field in the league. Once the Giants moved to their new park, you didn't have to worry about stepping on 2nd base. the field looks a lot better than it did years ago. Of course the Pats use a combination of Field Turf and grass as well as the Falcons. The Broncos, not so much. That field looked pretty ****ty from what I've seen. I know it won't be a velvety green by December, but at least get it looking like Green Bay or Pittsburg.

---------- Post added January-14th-2013 at 02:23 PM ----------

I know it won't be the University of Phoenix solution. They roll their grass outside to grow. :ols:

http://0.tqn.com/d/phoenix/1/0/Y/S/2/univofphoenixstad03.jpg

Damn, I thought it was field turf they use. Well that is out of the question :ols:

Archived