Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Email sent into ESPN insider Matthew Berry (Redskins Related)

I Miss Taylor_21

Here's the thing with bandwagoners...they'll abandon you as quickly as they find you. I know so many post-2004 Boston Red Sox fans, and once Robert Andino of the Orioles knocked them out of the playoffs in 2011 they were suddenly just "casual baseball fans." So no, I have no urge to see bandwagoners rooting for the Redskins, because I know that as soon as times get tough they'll be off to the next team.

Someone touched on how mouthy Steeler fans can be. I recall the dynasty teams from when I was a kid (49ers, Bulls, etc), and I don't ever remember their fans being totally unbearable. Steelers, Patriots, Yankees, Red Sox, etc fans all are ticking me off. You seriously can't tell them anything, and they have a certain sense of entitlement. (As an Oriole fan it's natural that I'm going to hate the Yankees and Red Sox, but I'm talking more about the fans than the teams themselves.) And to whomever told the story of having Steeler fans try to take over a bar and get their game on the big screen, I've had that same thing happen. Not only that, I've been at bars watching the Redskins and had Steeler fans ask me if I was planning on staying the entire game. When I answered yes, they said "so where are we supposed to sit?" Again, sense of entitlement.

Living in Harrisburg, PA you get to see a pretty good mix of teams. A majority of the fans are Eagles and Steelers fans (for obvious reasons). But Redskins have always had good representation as have Ravens to a lesser extent. This year has changed a lot of things. While watching the Redskins play at my local sports bar, I've been amazed at how many fans of other teams have walked up to me and told me how amazing RG3 is and how they wish they had him. The second half of the season, there has been a ton of people sporting crisp new Redskins hats and jerseys coming out.

Not only that, I've been at bars watching the Redskins and had Steeler fans ask me if I was planning on staying the entire game. When I answered yes, they said "so where are we supposed to sit?" Again, sense of entitlement.

You should have taken an empty bar stool, flipped it upside down, and tell him and his buddy's to make themselves comfortable.

I have seen some bandwagoners of late, my neighbor who moved in across the street said to me the other day before the game against Philly, said man we really need to win this one. I said wow didn't know you were a Skins fan? He said yeah been rooting for them forever, I asked where he was watching the games, he said he hadn't been watching them, I invited him over and he never showed. I told my wife and she laughed saying that I have never once missed a game for anything.

How big a fan could you be if you don't watch the games, I understand if you have to work, but this guy was home all day and could have come to my house for free. I know he saw all my swag and just now said something? Poser much?

What if your team moves away?

That's a loophole I'll grant to people. However I would say in that case you get one opprotunity to pick another team out of the blue. If that team starts to struggle, you can't then drop them and still claim the "my team moved" defense. But I'll grant it once.

---------- Post added December-28th-2012 at 02:23 PM ----------

You should have taken an empty bar stool, flipped it upside down, and tell him and his buddy's to make themselves comfortable.

I just said that I hadn't been sitting here holding a spot for an hour (I show up at noon so I can have my pick of seats) just for him.

Bandwagon fans only mean one thing...we're winning.

Like others, I find it annoying as hell when people do this. But it doesn't take away from my personal satisfaction of watching our guys rise back to relevance, because I have suffered through Jason Campbells, Haynesworths, and Danny Wuerfels. The ride has been filled with misery, but because of that misery, my enjoyment of this season is magnified. Bandwagon fans no nothing of this feeling...and boy are they missing out. Cause it's awesome.

I'm one of the many skins fans who have had to endure the past twenty years.

I've always known ill die a redskins fan its just in my DNA as the author said.

But something I've told many people over the years is that when the redskins start winning again if someone comes up to me and calls me a bandwagon fan I swear I'm gonna knock some of his teeth out.

exactly.......i had someone at my work try to insinuate that they saw me wearing some po-dunk Texans jersey a few years ago & that i was just jumping on the RGIII-wagon. it took everything in me to contain myself. i was so hot, i remember i took an impromptu break so i could splash cold water on my head.

to others talking about the about town scenarios.........i just went to Trader Joes & the mall this week wearing my RGIII throwback , & while i know what to expect wearing my RGIII jersey (which is why i usually like to wear my Kerrigan, or my D. Williams, or Green jerseys in public) i was quite shocked & kind of disgusted at how many RG-THREEEEEEE!!! woots i got from the public.

That's a loophole I'll grant to people. However I would say in that case you get one opprotunity to pick another team out of the blue. If that team starts to struggle, you can't then drop them and still claim the "my team moved" defense. But I'll grant it once.

Thanks for the loophole :)

I started as a Baltimore Colt fan but went straight to the Skins when they moved. I was still young and I consider myself as good a fan as any. The NFL just robbed me of lifelong status.

I remember back in 72 after the superbowl , i wore my redskins letter jacket and belt buckle, i even had a redskins notebook with the indian head logo which was new then to school and I got teased so much by so many kids who didn't even know what the hell a football was. Reminds me of these fairweather fans. I got suspended that day after fighting LOL. my mother worked in the school cafeteria too so i had to go remain there until her shift was over. My Dad smiled later

Don't seem to be too many bandwagoners around here. Yet. I still see VERY little Redskins gear out in public. Sometimes I feel like I must be the only one in Atlanta. I think that's why I've been so addicted to this board. Helps remind me what a huge community we have.

When I do see someone, I make sure to give them a "Hail Skins." BUt it's probably happened less than 10 times this year. I wear mine a lot, and almost never have other Skins fans come up to me. Though now lots of other people are interested to talk RG3 to me (and I'm always happy to oblige)

I

How big a fan could you be if you don't watch the games, I understand if you have to work, but this guy was home all day and could have come to my house for free. I know he saw all my swag and just now said something? Poser much?

Can't imagine ever making that choice. Hell, when I was in college and had no car, I'd "watch" the play by play scroll by on espn.com on my laptop with whatever games were being broadcast in the background. I'd still watch that before I'd watch a real game on tv with other teams. But luckily I've had Sunday Ticket 6 years and running so that hasn't been a problem in a long long time

Here's the thing with bandwagoners...they'll abandon you as quickly as they find you. I know so many post-2004 Boston Red Sox fans, and once Robert Andino of the Orioles knocked them out of the playoffs in 2011 they were suddenly just "casual baseball fans." So no, I have no urge to see bandwagoners rooting for the Redskins, because I know that as soon as times get tough they'll be off to the next team.

Someone touched on how mouthy Steeler fans can be. I recall the dynasty teams from when I was a kid (49ers, Bulls, etc), and I don't ever remember their fans being totally unbearable. Steelers, Patriots, Yankees, Red Sox, etc fans all are ticking me off. You seriously can't tell them anything, and they have a certain sense of entitlement. (As an Oriole fan it's natural that I'm going to hate the Yankees and Red Sox, but I'm talking more about the fans than the teams themselves.) And to whomever told the story of having Steeler fans try to take over a bar and get their game on the big screen, I've had that same thing happen. Not only that, I've been at bars watching the Redskins and had Steeler fans ask me if I was planning on staying the entire game. When I answered yes, they said "so where are we supposed to sit?" Again, sense of entitlement.

Every fanbase has a few idiots, relative to that fanbase as a whole, upon which competing fanbases generalize the entirety (However the Yankees have more than most :ols: ). Just as an example, you bring up post-2004 Red Sox "fans" (or as they are not-so-affectionately called up here: Pink Hats). The vast majority of Red Sox fans (meaning approximately 91.4%) are true, die-in-the-wool Red Sox fans. The Pink Hats are the one who can't name the retired numbers on the Right Field facade or can't understand why #34 is not up there. My utopian idea of a true fan is being a fan of their team first, fan of the game second, and respectful of the region they are in after that.

As described, I don't consider those "steelers" fans to be real fans.

Regarding fair weather fans, there is no avoiding them. They are to whom 75% of advertising and merchandise is geared toward. Reebok knows it has the true team fanatic. In the age of free agency and short coaching tenures, they are going after the casual guy who likes the way, not where, a team plays. Just know how to recognize a fair-weather/casual fan and you won't have to bother with them...

:2cents:

I have been a fan living in nj since i have been 5 years old. 1991. I dont know winning. I never have. But I never left. I never would. I never will. We can never win a game again or win every single one, I will always be a fan. I am more dedicated to this team than almost anything in my life. It is the one thing that certainly will never, ever change. I have lived though the pain of the last 20 seasons for this moment, a game like this sunday. I am selfish. I dont want to share it. If you havent been here with me to feel my pain as you all have, than you you dont belong with us. We are die hards. We ride or die with this team. We are the REAL fans. WE are the ones who pour our souls into this team. I dont want peole that dont do that. I dont want weak skinned losers joining us. We are an elite group of fans and there is nothing I take more pride in. Get the bandwagon out of here. Its already full.

....but i guess they are going to join anyway, so if your going to join us, at least be loud at the stadium and perhaps know the starting qb's name and who we are playing becuase if i start talking to you about it and you dont know, well end of conversation.

That's true for the most part, but there are some who will be loyal forever. My brother-in-law loved Dan Marino as a kid and has been diehard with the Dolphins ever since. I'll bet there are people who went to Baylor that are now lifelong Redskin fans, and they'll have children and grandchildren who root for the Skins. A ton of them will jump off when times get tough, but some will stay on regardless.

As someone who attended the Frostburg training camp at age 5 and has followed the team ever since no matter how awful it has gotten, I'm a bit uncomfortable with bandwagon fans. I like it when people respect the Skins, but if they've been following someone else for years and drop them because RG3 is awesome, I know they'll go whenever he does.

Thanks for the loophole :)

I started as a Baltimore Colt fan but went straight to the Skins when they moved. I was still young and I consider myself as good a fan as any. The NFL just robbed me of lifelong status.

Ha, my old man was a Colt fan and I was four when they left; otherwise I suspect I would have been a Colt fan also.

---------- Post added December-28th-2012 at 06:15 PM ----------

Every fanbase has a few idiots, relative to that fanbase as a whole, upon which competing fanbases generalize the entirety (However the Yankees have more than most :ols: ). Just as an example, you bring up post-2004 Red Sox "fans" (or as they are not-so-affectionately called up here: Pink Hats). The vast majority of Red Sox fans (meaning approximately 91.4%) are true, die-in-the-wool Red Sox fans. The Pink Hats are the one who can't name the retired numbers on the Right Field facade or can't understand why #34 is not up there. My utopian idea of a true fan is being a fan of their team first, fan of the game second, and respectful of the region they are in after that.

As described, I don't consider those "steelers" fans to be real fans.

Regarding fair weather fans, there is no avoiding them. They are to whom 75% of advertising and merchandise is geared toward. Reebok knows it has the true team fanatic. In the age of free agency and short coaching tenures, they are going after the casual guy who likes the way, not where, a team plays. Just know how to recognize a fair-weather/casual fan and you won't have to bother with them...

:2cents:

I know exactly what you mean. I went to Fenway to see the O's play a few years ago, and had an AWESOME time. The park, the history, and the fans up there are amazing. I'd go back in a heartbeat, but there are so many other ballparks I want to see also. But I really did get the feeling that similar to the Redskins, the Boston Red Sox were a tradition that was passed down from generation to generation. I met so many people that told me their season tickets had been in their family forever, starting with their grandfather and so forth. The Red Sox fans up there are the real thing, and the same goes for the Boston Red Sox fans around here who in some cases have ties to New England. If your parents were from there or something, I get that. It's the people who had never worn their Red Sox caps before 2004 that I have a problem with. The same is true of Steeler fans. If your parents were from there or whatever the case may be that's a family bond with that team and that should last forever. But if you're over a certain age and Big Ben's the only Steeler QB you've ever known, I question your motives. I suppose it's all a relative argument, but who tends to be legit fans and who doesn't is usually plain as day.

Steeler fans are not that die hard dude. I live an hour from Pittsburgh, they are the biggest fair-weather fans in the world. If the STeelers are doing good they shove it down everyones throat and talk more smack then any fan base in the world. They will travel with the team and try to invade opposing teams stadiums. HOWEVER, if the Steelers are doing bad, you wont hear a peep. So funny how today (Friday) is always the day where Steeler fans are allowed to wear a Steeler jersey at work instead of the usual suit/casual clothing, yet why is no one wearing one today, when they ALWAYS wore them all year? Its because as soon as the Steelers got knocked out of the playoffs, the fair-weather fans stopped being fans.

75% of Steeler fans are just fair-weather fans. Trust me. Before Roethlisberger, you would never see a Steeler Jersey, then after his rookie year, everyone was claiming to be a "fan". Just trust me on this.

*Edited for bad spelling and still am unsure if I spelled Roethlisberger correctly :)

Absolutely. I'm in the same boat as you with proximity to Pittsburgh and I see the same thing with their "loyalty". You can't shut them up when the team is winning, but when times are tough......crickets and tumbleweeds around these parts. There must have been a fire sale recently on black 'n gold clothing items, because you can't find a stitch of them since their playoffs went out the window. They are about as fair weather as they come. Been that way for a long time. I look at the Steelers in the same vain that I look at the Cowboys, Giants and Eagles...can't stand them.

Archived