Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

An Unfortunate Scheduling Wrinkle (Skins/Dallas)

kevinklein

If we beat Philly and Dallas loses next week, Dallas could still win out over us if they beat us in the last game. Dallas is still ahead of us in common opponents... Cincy and Pitt. If we lose against Philly, and Dallas wins over NO, we would still beat Dallas out with a win (head to head obviously).

edit: No matter how you look at it, I'm sure the NFL is getting ready to bump that game to SNF.

Exactly, which is where, unfortunately, Dallas finds their advantage.

So yes, as Nibbs alluded to with the silvertongued quote above, perhaps this was how it was meant to be. RG3, in his first year, against a hated rival, for the division, at home. Talk about stakes, baby.

Wouldn't this scenario cause each team to have an identical 7-5 "Common Opponent" record?

Thus pushing the tie-breaker to Conference record? Which, under this scenario would put the Cowboys at 5-6 in the conference heading into Wk 17....with the Redskins at 7-4 in the conference.

Doesn't that clinch for the Redskins?

Exactly, which is where, unfortunately, Dallas finds their advantage.

So yes, as Nibbs alluded to with the silvertongued quote above, perhaps this was how it was meant to be. RG3, in his first year, against a hated rival, for the division, at home. Talk about stakes, baby.

Gotta love it!! Now tickets need to be kept away from Cowpuke fans as much as possible and Fed Ex needs to be as loud as it has been on Monday night and against the Ravens!!

Wouldn't this scenario cause each team to have an identical 7-5 "Common Opponent" record?

Thus pushing the tie-breaker to Conference record? Which, under this scenario would put the Cowboys at 5-6 in the conference heading into Wk 17....with the Redskins at 7-4 in the conference.

Doesn't that clinch for the Redskins?

Dallas's common opponent record would be 8-4, ours would be 7-5. Dallas losses would include NO, ATL, NYG, BAL. Washington losses would include CIN, ATL, NYG, PIT, CAR.

It doesn't really matter. The most likely scenario going into week 17 is a Skins win in Philly, a Dallas win against NO, and a Giants win against the Ravens. Philly and NO just flat out stink this year, and the Ravens looked awful after firing their OC.

The Ravens were awful before they fired their OC :ols: IMO, they might be the most overrated team in football.

I realized last night, with the help of a friend, that even if the Skins win and Dallas loses in week 16, the week 17 matchup between the old rivals will still be for the division title. For the sake of demonstrating, let's say the Giants also lose in week 16, effectively knocking them from the race.

Under this scenario, the Skins would be 9-6 and Dallas would be 8-7. Their division records, aka the first tie breaker, would be 4-1 and 3-2 respectively. If Dallas won that week 17 game, their overall records and their division records would be the same. The next tiebreaker is common games played.

Because two of Dallas's losses came against teams we did not play (Chicago, Seattle), and only one of our losses came against a team Dallas did not play (St. Louis), they would win that tiebreaker and thus, the division.

Someone correct me if I'm misunderstanding somewhere...but seems to me the week 17 game looms larger than ever.

****in' Roethlisberger.

Ok see I took that rule as the actual record played between the common teams. As in the scenario you speak about the Redskins would be 8-5 while the Cowboys would be 8-5. NVM has those numbers backwards. We need to win out!

Ok see I took that rule as the actual record played between the common teams. As in the scenario you speak about the Redskins would be 8-5 while the Cowboys would be 8-5. NVM has those numbers backwards. We need to win out!

I think the mistake you are making is you are including the Skins/Dallas game in "common opponents". That game doesn't count, because Dallas is not a common opponent to Dallas, just as Washington is not a common opponent to Washington.

I have to say that one (Undiscovered Country) is one of my favorite of all the ST movies.

Nah. "Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan" is the best. From it, we have these quotes:

Khan: "Ah, [John Mara], do you know the Klingon proverb that tells us revenge is a dish that is best served cold?"

AND

Khan: [quoting from Melville's Moby Dick] "To the last, I will grapple with thee... from Hell's heart, I stab at thee! For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee, [John Mara]!"

AND

Khan: "Surely, I have made my meaning plain. I mean to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I deprived your ship of power, and when I swing around, I mean to deprive you of your [defending chumpion playoff spot]!"

I think the mistake you are making is you are including the Skins/Dallas game in "common opponents". That game doesn't count, because Dallas is not a common opponent to Dallas, just as Washington is not a common opponent to Washington.

If it comes down to it, Dallas has the tie breaker for "common opponents" locked up. We don;t want it to come to that. Win out and it does not matter. Be a Saints fan this weekend.

Nah. "Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan" is the best. From it, we have this quote:

Khan: "Ah, [John Mara], do you know the Klingon proverb that tells us revenge is a dish that is best served cold?"

yeah yeah everyone loves khan.

the guy only said "one of" though, give him a break. and (controversial opinion!) Undiscovered Country has better quotes: "there is an old vulcan proverb: only nixon could go to china" and "you have not experienced shakespeare until you have read him in the originial Klingon"

off topic. apologies to the mods.

I can think of no better way to clinch the division than by beating Dallas in DC. What a Christmas present that would be.....plus a home playoff game to boot! Trust in RG lll and our Christmas wishes will come true. Sitting out a game is going to have him even more juiced to play the final two games. Dallas should be scared......

It would really help if Baltimore could knock off the Giants next week but I'm not holding my breath on that one. Let's get the Giants out of the equation.

What if we win next week against the Eagles and Dallas loses to the Saints? Then we lose against Dallas? Do we still win the division? Providing the Giants go 1-1 to finish the regular season.

Negative. Dallas would get the division on the common opponents tiebreaker. We'd edge the Giants for a potential wild card spot.

Archived