Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Could a legendary team and qb duo be born?

redskins4ever28

· With Cousins’ victory on Sunday and Griffin III’s win at New Orleans in Week 1, the Redskins became the first team in a non-strike season to have two different rookie quarterbacks win their first career starts in the same season since rookies John Elway and Gary Kubiak won their starting debuts with the Denver Broncos in 1983.

Just read this stat. I feel pretty good about it. Everyone said that after we drafted cousins it was the first time that a qb was drafted that early after taking a qb in the first since elway. It looks as if it was a brilliant move by shanahan. I hope Kyle takes over after mike retires.

· With Cousins’ victory on Sunday and Griffin III’s win at New Orleans in Week 1, the Redskins became the first team in a non-strike season to have two different rookie quarterbacks win their first career starts in the same season since rookies John Elway and Gary Kubiak won their starting debuts with the Denver Broncos in 1983.

Just read this stat. I feel pretty good about it. Everyone said that after we drafted cousins it was the first time that a qb was drafted that early after taking a qb in the first since elway. It looks as if it was a brilliant move by shanahan. I hope Kyle takes over after mike retires.

They've both been impressive. I'm not really cozying up to Kyle quite that much.

They've both been impressive. I'm not really cozying up to Kyle quite that much.

personally, i wasn't impressed with Kyle during his first two years, but this season, I think his play calling and game planning has been among the best in the NFL. Not many OCs have been able to put a rookie QB (much less two) in a position to, not only win, but make impressive contributions.

personally, i wasn't impressed with Kyle during his first two years, but this season, I think his play calling and game planning has been among the best in the NFL. Not many OCs have been able to put a rookie QB (much less two) in a position to, not only win, but make impressive contributions.

Sure, the results are improved, but I'm concerned that things could revert back at any time. I'm taking a wait-and-see attitude. Call me skeptical.

If he hadn't been benched, Kyle Shanahan's offense would've allowed Donovan McNabb to set a career high in yards thrown, even after a career in Andy Reid's pass-happy successful offenses. This, when McNabb was clearly over the hill.

In Kyle Shanahan's offense, he took a 28-year-old nobody in Anthony Armstrong and put him in a position to get over 800 yards. Since then, Armstrong has done nothing and has been cut by several teams.

In Kyle Shanahan's offense, he enabled a career journeyman in Jabar Gaffney to set career highs across the board. He hasn't done anything since having left the Redskins.

In Kyle Shanahan's offense, Chris Cooley matched a career high in yards and Santana Moss set a career high in receptions. Despite both being much past their respective primes.

And then -- suddenly -- when you put a cohesive offensive line together, add a #1 playmaker at wide receiver, and give the team with talent ample time to work together and a quarterback who isn't terrible (even though he's a rookie), you can begin to see some of the brilliance that is Kyle Shanahan's offense. .. And then add a young dynamic superstar at the most important position, and you see the most creative and innovative offense in professional football

Good points throughout but to me that's the most important part of it all. Put RGIII behind the line Campbell had and he would not be as effective as he has been. (Better than JC but less than what we've seen.)

But it's about scheme, continuity and attitude as much as anything.

Lichensteiger was lambasted -- rightfully so -- when he first entered the lineup. He was absolutely terrible. Over time, he got a lot better.

Chris Chester was terrible last year in his first season in the system. This year, he's grown tremendously.

Will Montgomery was pretty awful as a guard, and very average as a center. He's gotten a lot better.

Tyler Polumbus? Tyler Polumbus? Even Tyler Polumbus looks like a pretty solid tackle.

These are players found more or less off the scrap heap. In Lichensteiger's case, he was out of the league, unwanted by 31 other teams. The Shanahans have crafted and developed an offensive line that, outside of left tackle, one could argue didn't have initially any more talent then some of the lines Campbell played behind. All the more credit to them

Good points throughout but to me that's the most important part of it all. Put RGIII behind the line Campbell had and he would not be as effective as he has been. (Better than JC but less than what we've seen.)

RGIII and the fact we have been playing from mostly leading or not more than 7 down have hidden our Oline shortcomings. The effect #10 has had on this team from a performance, and not to be underrated mental standpoint cannot be stressed enough. This guy elevates everyone around him.

RGIII and the fact we have been playing from mostly leading or not more than 7 down have hidden our Oline shortcomings. The effect #10 has had on this team from a performance, and not to be underrated mental standpoint cannot be stressed enough. This guy elevates everyone around him.

I think what we are seeing is the value that quick QB decision making and a quick release has on an offense. Not having RGIII clearly showed the value he has in the running game. Alfred Morris earned his money yesterday. Not saying he doesn't normally but it wasn't nearly as easy for him as it is with RGIII behind center. The Browns defensive line got tired in the 4th quarter so the numbers ended up looking a lot better than they looked at the end of 3. But it is the quick decision making that RGIII and now KCI have that make the offense go and the line look better.

This is RG3's team, I think that's pretty clear. However, you're 2nd QB better be the best 2nd QB there is, and I think we have a pretty decent one, who should only get better. Cousins has played one game, against a pretty dangerous but beatable team for most QBs. I wouldn't vote Cousins for president just yet, but I'm glad he is a Redskin, always liked the pick

Um...don't we want it to just be RGIII? Cousins playing a lot (which I am pretty sure the only way to become legendary) would mean RGIII is hurt a lot...I honestly don't want to see Cousins play again

I don't want cousins on the field either I was saying that elway and kubiak were a great team of qb and qb helper/coach. That's what I meant.

Watching Locker and Sanchez its clear that physically both QBs are better athletes than Cousins. Neither are on the same planet of accuracy. RG3 is more accurate than either and a much better athlete. The bottom line is accuracy. You can't play the position without it.

Speaking of accuracy we have a kicker that doesn't believe in missing. That alone would have increased our win totals.

In addition to those major upgrades we have an OLine that knows each other mostly and the system. I think blocking depends on familiarity more than any other unit. I might be wrong though.

The future is bright! (But there is no such thing as a QB duo for long, one will eventually have to go)

No doubt he makes them better but they had improved last year from the year before, basically the same group, and look good this year. Not great but good.

Kirk Cousins to @RGIII right after the game picked up by our mic: "Hey, take the reigns back, do this thing. Let's go to the playoffs"

https://mobile.twitter.com/dckerwin

Absolutely love this. Kirk seemed like a true professional in the presser and interviews too. If Kirk ends up leaving us after free agency or if he gets traded to another team (albeit not an NFC East team) I will root so hard for the guy.

Rg3 is Batman. Kirk is Robin (the Dick Grayson Robin). Alfred is, well, Alfred.

This is hilarious!

---------- Post added December-18th-2012 at 09:31 AM ----------

Absolutely love this. Kirk seemed like a true professional in the presser and interviews too. If Kirk ends up leaving us after free agency or if he gets traded to another team (albeit not an NFC East team) I will root so hard for the guy.

I hope he doesn't get traded. He is one hell of an insurance policy.

---------- Post added December-18th-2012 at 09:31 AM ----------

A jack of all trades is a master of none. We don't need two great QBs we need one great QB and a good reliable backup.

Agree here. I think Cousins = a good reliable backup.

I hope he doesn't get traded. He is one hell of an insurance policy.

I whole-heartedly agree and will tell anyone that will listen that he is more valuable to us as a backup than a draft pick or two. However, if he continues to show other teams that he is as good as he was on Sunday, you better believe he is going to want to start somewhere. Nobody wants to stay a career backup.

Theres a reason why Kubiak is a good head coach, and a reason why they picked him after picking Elway #1 overall.

A good backup is a player who not only can play well, but loves the game and does nothing but study study study and watch film all day long.

When Elway was drafted, Kubiak was taken to not only be there if Elway went down, but to also help coach and help study etc; Kubiak was smart, and knew the game well, and loved to study film, BUT, he was NOT EVEN CLOSE to the talent Elway had. And would never have been 1/2 has good as Elway. But he could help him study and help coach him with game plans, and then come in once in a while and win.

This is just like our situation I feel. Griffin is the more talented, MUCH better QB. But Cousins is a true student of the game, someone who studies every play and every team when they play them. Cousins is Griffins study buddy, tutor, and helper. I didnt agree with the move at the draft until I learned Kubiak was taken in the same draft as Elway. Now look at Kubiak, hes a head coach, and Elway a HoFer. I mean honestly, I love this tandem together. Keep Cousins, unless we get an insane offer (TWO 1st round draft picks).

Archived