Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is there any scenario where the Dallas Skins game has NO playoff implications?

ggarriso

Im pretty sure we win division no matter what if we beat Philly & Dallas / Giants lose next week..

If all teams finish 9-7 the Skins would hold tie breakers over Giants (division record) & Cowboys (conference record)..

Correct??

No, apparently record against common opponents comes before conference record, so even if we win and Dallas loses next week, we still have to beat them on the 30th.

I just posted this in BRBN:

Dallas has toughest road

The Cowboys host the New Orleans Saints next week before heading to Washington. That's a tough schedule to go 2-0 against, but we didn't think the Cowboys could beat the Bengals and Steelers in back-to-back weeks either.

Click link for more

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000112193/article/washington-redskins-have-edge-in-nfc-east-race

I noticed that, thanks for all your hard work Brandy.

Whats up with the saints? Did they beat TB today? I was blurring in an out of different games this afternoon so can't remember exactly, but lets just hope the same 'aints team from last week against the giants doens't show up next week to dallass. Much as i hate to say it, cowboys are simply finding ways to win football games attm.

No, apparently record against common opponents comes before conference record, so even if we win and Dallas loses next week, we still have to beat them on the 30th.

But I'm pretty sure that if Saints beat Dallas that would put our common oppent records at identical if I checked our schedules correctly..

They beat Carolina & lost to Baltimore.. other than that we both lost to Falcons, beat Bucs, beat Browns, they beat Steelers, but we beat Saints *brain explodes*

Im pretty sure we win division no matter what if we beat Philly & Dallas / Giants lose next week..

If all teams finish 9-7 the Skins would hold tie breakers over Giants (division record) & Cowboys (conference record)..

Correct??

Correct on your first statement. Not on your last.

First off if we win both games. We win the east. Bottom line. Even if the Giants win out from this point on we have the division record tie breaker. I repeat. THE GIANTS DO NOT HAVE TO LOSE ANY MORE GAMES FOR US TO WIN THE EAST.

However, if we were to lose the game to philly. We would then need the Giants to lose a game in order to win the east with a victory against the Cowboys. We would NOT, however, have a tie breaker at 9-7 over the Cowboys if we win at philly and lose to the Cowboys. The Cowboys have the third tie breaker after head-to-head and division record which is record against common opponents.

Most maddening thread in ES history :)

How many times can people answer the same question over and over and over and yet people keep asking it????

There is NO scenerio where we can lose to Dallas and win the division. Zero. Their game vs the Saints means nothing to us at all... Has absolutely no bearing.

There is ONE scenerio where we can clinch a playoff spot next week:

--Redskins win

--Bears lose at Arizona

--Vikings lose at Houston

--Giants lose at Baltimore

If ALL four of those things happen, then we would clinch a playoff spot prior to week 17 and the Cowboys game would be for the division.

There are scenerios where we earn a wild card berth at 9-7 as well.....

Only problem I have is that the common opponent trumps conference record. Scenarios where teams have better conference records can get screwed if they lose all AFC/NFC games but do better in conference which you have to go thru to get to the chip anyway end up on the short end because you lost those out of conference games and caused you to have a worse common opponent record. Common opponent should be after conference. That's horse crap. Am I alone on this?

Most maddening thread in ES history :)

How many times can people answer the same question over and over and over and yet people keep asking it????

There is NO scenerio where we can lose to Dallas and win the division. Zero. Their game vs the Saints means nothing to us at all... Has absolutely no bearing.

There is ONE scenerio where we can clinch a playoff spot next week:

--Redskins win

--Bears lose at Arizona

--Vikings lose at Houston

--Giants lose at Baltimore

If ALL four of those things happen, then we would clinch a playoff spot prior to week 17 and the Cowboys game would be for the division.

There are scenerios where we earn a wild card berth at 9-7 as well.....

I can see Vikings losing, but the Giants and Chicago losing, that would be crazy.

In the end, I want the NFC East, no wild card.call me greedy.

Beat Philly...that's all I'm worried about at this moment for next week. Of course if Giants, Vikes, and Bears lose it definitely takes some of the pressure off of the Dallas game, but we NEED to beat Philly. I'm going to be so nervous next week, regardless of what Philly's record looks like

If the Redskins beat Philly, they have a LOAD of ways to get inside the playoffs, even losing to Dallas. 2 wins is a guarantee, but a Philly win and there's so many ways to sneak in it's incredible.

Luckily for the Redskins, their losses occurred against half of the AFC North, bottom feeders of the NFC, and the Falcons who are far and away out of reach. Their wins all occurred against people they're contending with.

Our destiny is in our ****ing hands.

Here is my (sorta) ultra-simple view of this:

If we win both games: We win the division.

If we lose to Philly and beat Dallas:

- If the Giants lost at least one game, we win the division.

- If the Giants won both games, we need Minnesota and Chicago to have lost at least a game. (for a wild-card spot)

If we beat Philly but lose to Dallas:

- We need Chicago and Minnesota to have lost at least one game. Additionally we need either Seattle or the Giants to have lost at least one game. (for a wild-card spot)

If we lose both games:

- We need New York, Minnesota, St Louis and Chicago to lose both games. (for a wild-card spot)

The biggest thing that scares me in all of this is that Chicago's schedule is pretty easy going out (even though the team is falling apart). I think the other losses we might need will fall into place. But the Bears might be the team to derail us if we don't take care of business.

Here is my (sorta) ultra-simple view of this:

The biggest thing that scares me in all of this is that Chicago's schedule is pretty easy going out (even though the team is falling apart). I think the other losses we might need will fall into place. But the Bears might be the team to derail us if we don't take care of business.

That could be ironically a little bit like 1979... Dallas game last game of the season that year and a Chicago-St Louis rout cost us a wild card tiebreaker.

I can see Vikings losing, but the Giants and Chicago losing, that would be crazy.

In the end, I want the NFC East, no wild card.call me greedy.

its not crazy to believe the Giants can lose at baltimore. Even though Baltimore has had a rough stretch, the Giants aren't world-beaters. Chicago losing is a stretch, but with the way they have played, it's not impossible for them to lose at Arizona or at Detroit. They almost lost to Detroit earlier this year. But, in any event, you're right, I want the division.

---------- Post added December-16th-2012 at 11:05 PM ----------

We can loose next week and still win the division as long as we win the last game, and if NY looses one of their last two. Basically, next week is not that important, Dallas week, at the end, is HUGE!

I don't want to have to bank on anyone else. Let's take care of business. Redskins are superior to the Eagles and at this point, we have no business losing to them.

Archived