Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

For youngsters who want to know what Riggins was like take a look at London Fletcher

Burgold

I'm reminded of 1985 this year. Back then, we had an aging hero on his last legs. He didn't practice, but spent 4 nights a week in traction and then somehow miraculously trotted out on the field and not only competed, but dominated. There was no 3rd and one this guy couldn't win and no pile he couldn't push. More, his fire and competitiveness... his showmanship earned him a place that was just a little bit better than his fading production.

That was the year of John Riggins. The year of the bow.

2012 is the year of London Fletcher. An aging star, who's still making plays and who's personality and energy and love of the game just shine brightly making him loved every day. The game where he was mic'ed will weave itself inside Redskins hearts and we will remember it for years, decades. More, this guy is Riggins reborn in that he can't run like he used to, can't dominate like he used to, but he'll still get that big hit, that interception, and then somehow all week he injured and unable to walk until game day when he is resurrected and is a leader.

For those pups who ask what 82 - 91 was like... what was it like in the days of Monk, Riggins, the Hogs, Green, the Fun Bunch, and the Posse... well, I can tell you that when I see London Fletcher... there is an echo of John Riggins and maybe you can understand.

I never quite got how Riggo did it and did it week after week so well. Likewise, what a role model and great example of discipline and dedication London is. That's the foundation of winning... that's what a lockermate can teach the pups. That's why it is so good to still have a gray beard about...

Riggins and Fletcher equal inspiration.

I was too young to remember much about Riggo, but I can tell you that the '87 and '91 Super Bowl wins are burned into my memory. The Hogs were amazing... nobody wanted to play us, but we were ready for all comers. That feeling is starting to come back. It's just so refreshing to WANT to play another team instead of worrying about how we could squeak one out.

I do think there is a difference though... London has always been a model teammate, leader, etc. he has always been a team first guy and from everything I have heard he practices as hard as he plays.

Riggo had a rep for being difficult on coaches and even rubbed some teammates the wrong way. I want to say it was Mark May (or one of the hogs) that said he would frustrate them during the week with some of his lax practice and of field habits, but they knew he would be ready to go gameday so they didn't really care.

I think the parallels between Riggo in 85 and London now might be similar, but overall, I view them as very different players and personalities. London is a warrior. A role model in every aspect. Riggo was a star and someone who was able to elevate his game on the biggest stage. But he was also pretty self centered and could be difficult to deal with. He was a showman.

I remember riggo like it was yesterday. He was the man. I had a stray tomcat show up that could kick any cat or dog's ass in the neighborhood. We called him riggo. Everybody knew why too. Ahh the fun bunch those were the days. I hope and feel they may be right around the corner again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:) feels good to be this optomistic again.

LOL, Mark May criticizing Riggo. I love me some Mark May, but I'd prefer to hear it from Grimm or Jacoby. IIRC from May's own book (which is quite good, though short), he was badmouthing Randy White in a game against Dallas and Grimm told him to stop or he (Grimm) would beat May up (something like that). As Grimm told it, he was dealing with a HoF DT while May had the luxury of dealing with a stiff (John Dutton). I doubt that if they weren't in the tank for the Diesel they'd have followed him into that shed....

London would've fit in well with those 80s and early 90s Skins squads.

I can't think of a LB from that era to compare him to, though. In terms of his spiritual and intellectual role on the field and in the clubhouse, his overall character, durability, reliability, and unappreciated greatness, I'd say Charles Mann is the best comparison.

The best LB I've ever seen in a Redskin uniform was Wilbur Marshall... Specifically the 1992 season. That was quite possibly the best defensive season I've seen from any Redskin. Wilbur was a very underrated player from the mid 80s through early 90s. He didn't have the ironman streak or longevity of London, but if you asked me who was the best I ever saw at LB in a Skins uni, Wilbur would be my answer. London ranks second... Although I do think he brings as much in the intangible dept as I've ever seen.

Ken Harvey is also on the list... And although I don't like the guy, Lavar was outstanding in 2001 before declining quickly. LB has generally been a strong position for the Redskins... The Gibbs units were always very solid, although not laced with stars (guys like Kaufman, Neal O, etc.). And even during lean years we had one or two good players at the position...we've done well in FA there (Wilbur, Harvey, Marvcus Patton, Marcus Washingon, London)....

Complete and utter nonsense.

NFL Films style mythmaking at its worst.

Do you even remember 1985? Riggins was a disinterested player who was phased out of the offense during the season in favor of George Rogers. Riggins didn't even play in the final two games because Rogers had supplanted him.

Hero worship without facts is a sad thing.

I do think there is a difference though... London has always been a model teammate, leader, etc. he has always been a team first guy and from everything I have heard he practices as hard as he plays.

I don't disagree with that at all and I was thinking about it as I was writing, but in this one quality grit and being injured all week and then giving it all they could on the field they were similiar.

It was just a quality that seemed worth noting and one that seems both amazing and one that is kind of special. I will say that while Riggo was a difficult teammate... he was also one that inspired the guys he played with and they loved and fought for him despite his deficiencies and partying. London too, is a leader, though he's certainly an easier one.

---------- Post added December-14th-2012 at 07:00 AM ----------

You beat me to it.

Pretty sure Riggo took a couple of bows. I also remember him taking another that was at the end when he knew it was likely his last game.

Do you even remember 1985? Riggins was a disinterested player who was phased out of the offense during the season in favor of George Rogers. Riggins didn't even play in the final two games because Rogers had supplanted him.

That's what I was thinking when I read the OP. I knew that the bow took place in the Jan '83 playoffs, and I pretty much remember Riggo being phased out as the '85 season wore on.

Riggo was great to watch on the field, but he was never a team leader like London is today.

If memory serves, the bow took place vs the Vikings as others have noted.... Then at the Ring of Honor Ceremony (1990 maybe?) Riggo surprised everyone by coming out in full uniform, where he may have bowed again.... Joey T asked him what the hell he was doing and Riggo said "I had to hear it one last time." Like I said, Riggo was a showman.

Riggo had a rep for being difficult on coaches and even rubbed some teammates the wrong way. I want to say it was Mark May (or one of the hogs) that said he would frustrate them during the week with some of his lax practice and of field habits, but they knew he would be ready to go gameday so they didn't really care.

I think the parallels between Riggo in 85 and London now might be similar, but overall, I view them as very different players and personalities. London is a warrior. A role model in every aspect. Riggo was a star and someone who was able to elevate his game on the biggest stage. But he was also pretty self centered and could be difficult to deal with. He was a showman.

I could not have said it better. I see very few parallels between Fletcher and Riggins. Fletcher is and always has been the consummate team player and professional while Riggo was all about his ego.The only real similarities are both are/were highly competitive on the game field.

Different types of leaders, but Riggo was a leader. He was able to put the team on his back and people would follow and believe. London does it through prep, and understanding. Riggo did it through charisma and will power. That's why he was an honorary hog and Joey T wasn't. That's why when we think of the glory 'skins... we still think of Riggins even though he was only there for a fairly small portion of it.

Mind you, I also think that the myth and legend may be as important as the truth. I think the legend of Fletcher will similarly grow 20 years from now. I think he'll be even smaller and slower in our memories and become our Rudy... our player from nowhere who through intellect, courage, and effort became a Redskins hero.

For me, that's all right.

I'm a bit confused. In clips from Riggins an NFL Life there are a few people interveiewed who say he had a very strong work ethic and kept himself in top shape with gruelling workouts. Is this something they just made up? I mean, hearing some of you tell it, it sounds like he went into the shed, sat in a recliner, then had 12 beers and 2 frozen pizzas for dinner before polishing off a tub of ice cream.

Which is it?

Archived