Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Dale Jr.: Why I Love the Redskins

I_Bleed_B&G

Thought this was an awesome article by Dale Earnhardt Jr.

Introduction by Marty Smith, ESPN NASCAR reporter:

Few personal qualities are more admirable or inspiring than honesty. The reason is simple: scarcity.

These days, press conferences ooze with enough predetermined, clichéd, monotone drivel to drive the Tasmanian Devil into hibernation. And because it’s so rare for public figures to spill truth -- real truth, with candor and excitement and raw emotion, the kind that makes you vulnerable --- we’re plumb-awed when they do.

And when a star spits vulnerable truth, the impact is even greater. Dale Earnhardt Jr. is NASCAR’s biggest star. He is among sport’s biggest stars. He is articulate, thoughtful and honest when answering questions. When he talks, sport listens. Not just NASCAR. Sport.

I received a call from Junior on Tuesday, giddy as a schoolgirl to detail his experience at the Redskins-Giants "Monday Night Football" thriller. He was so excited, in fact, that he felt compelled to put his thoughts and emotions on paper. He was bursting with feelings that had to live in the written word. Sometimes saying it just doesn’t suffice. You must write it.

I can relate. It happens to me every day.

So Junior wrote. And what he wrote encapsulates the oft-intangible importance of sport, from the ultra-unique perspective of a man who both consumes that emotion -- and provides it to millions.

Read the rest here:

http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/fandom/post/_/id/15037/dale-jr-why-i-love-the-redskins

From the comments section:

I've been a Dallas Cowboy fan most of my life. That automatically made the Redskins a bitter rival. After Troy's retirement I began thinking more about the Redskins since they were your favs. RGIII graduated from Baylor, about 15 miles from my home. I'd followed him during his college days and enjoyed his skill and talent. When he went to the Skins all the pieces came together, and I've become a full-fledged Redskin fan. During the pre-game show Monday night, the camera showed a picture of you in the owner's box. During the game, I felt your excitement and anxiety, because it was exactly what I was feeling. The win was a fist-pumping, blood-churning experience we both enjoyed. Now who are the Dallas Cowboys?

Haaaaaahahahaha! I think this sums Dallas fans up nicely. They don't REALLY care about the Cowboys, they're just band-wagoners who follow the hype.

I was the last one to comment on this post, I can't stand fans who just automatically switch over to our side because of some success. Would they have been fans if we had a 3-8 record.

ginger70

I've been a Dallas Cowboy fan most of my life. That automatically made the Redskins a bitter rival. After Troy's retirement I began thinking more about the Redskins since they were your favs. RGIII graduated from Baylor, about 15 miles from my home. I'd followed him during his college days and enjoyed his skill and talent. When he went to the Skins all the pieces came together, and I've become a full-fledged Redskin fan. During the pre-game show Monday night, the camera showed a picture of you in the owner's box. During the game, I felt your excitement and anxiety, because it was exactly what I was feeling. The win was a fist-pumping, blood-churning experience we both enjoyed. Now who are the Dallas Cowboys?less

3 fans like this.

1 Hour Ago · Like · Reply · Quote · Flag

bgregory714

How can you just switch to your bitter rival? That doesn't make sense to me, a lifelong Redskins fan.

4 Minutes Ago · Like · Reply · Quote · Flag

Arrguendo

Sounds like you woke up and found some common sense. Good for you.

2 Minutes Ago · Like · Reply · Quote · Flag

calebjblair

I'm sorry but Cowboys fans can stay away, don't need bandwagon fans, I do not accept you as a fan.

I was the last one to comment on this post, I can't stand fans who just automatically switch over to our side because of some success. Would they have been fans if we had a 3-8 record.

ginger70

I've been a Dallas Cowboy fan most of my life. That automatically made the Redskins a bitter rival. After Troy's retirement I began thinking more about the Redskins since they were your favs. RGIII graduated from Baylor, about 15 miles from my home. I'd followed him during his college days and enjoyed his skill and talent. When he went to the Skins all the pieces came together, and I've become a full-fledged Redskin fan. During the pre-game show Monday night, the camera showed a picture of you in the owner's box. During the game, I felt your excitement and anxiety, because it was exactly what I was feeling. The win was a fist-pumping, blood-churning experience we both enjoyed. Now who are the Dallas Cowboys?less

3 fans like this.

bgregory714

How can you just switch to your bitter rival? That doesn't make sense to me, a lifelong Redskins fan.

Arrguendo

calebjblair

I'm sorry but Cowboys fans can stay away, don't need bandwagon fans, I do not accept you as a fan.

People trying to make someone who is feeling good about our team feel bad via the internet. Small actions, and a real shame.

That must have been a good prom if that's the first thing that comes to mind of someone at 35 :ols:;)

We did it big, man. Still best friends with most of my boys from HS. We knew how to ensure a good time was had by all. ;)

I feel you on that for the most part but, one less dallas fan in the world is a good thing.

If a friend of mine pulled a switch-a-roo like that, I wouldnt respect such a move. I certainly couldnt take that person seriously.

But again, one less cowturd fan makes the planet a better place.

Not trying to make anyone feel bad, I would say this to someones face if they told me the same thing. Just protective over my team who hasn't been good in a very long time and starts gaining some success and people want to say they like them now, sorry if that bithers you but it bothers me when people do that. It's just sports, not like I was telling them they are a horrible human being and should die.

We did it big, man. Still best friends with most of my boys from HS. We knew how to ensure a good time was had by all. ;)

I feel you on that for the most part but, one less dallas fan in the world is a good thing.

If a friend of mine pulled a switch-a-roo like that, I wouldnt respect such a move. I certainly couldnt take that person seriously.

But again, one less cowturd fan makes the planet a better place.

ginger70

3 fans like this.

bgregory714

Arrguendo

calebjblair

Note to calebjblair, nobody needs your permission to cheer for the Redskins, you do not own the team and even if you did, you still don't have any right deciding who can and can't like them.

At least she came out of the darkness, "of the gloomy the Dallas Cowboys" to the light of the Washington Redskins! I think it's awesome that even Dallas fans are dumping the self proclaimed Americas team and jumping on the Redskins bandwagon! What an awesome testimony! Hopefully all the rest do as well.

From the comments section:

Haaaaaahahahaha! I think this sums Dallas fans up nicely. They don't REALLY care about the Cowboys, they're just band-wagoners who follow the hype.

I was a little disappointed by the people telling him off. Sure he's a bandwagoner, but look at it like we just switched a vote in a swing state in a Presidential election. We should welcome him, try and get him to be a permanent fan, and use him to snag any other disillusioned Cowboys fans.

If we play our cards right in a decade half of Cowboys stadium could be Skins fans chanting RGIII. How sweet that would be!

First, great article and thanks for sharing.

Second, I don't understand this "rejection of fans" concept. How is one supposed to become a Redskins fan if they weren't born one to begin with? Or if you were not lucky enough to be born with that fandom, are you just out of luck?

The person who wrote in the comments about becoming a fan had a reason associated with it, RG3 was the final piece that drew her in. I've got news for you - she won't be the first or last person drawn in by Robert. What you have to hope for is that these new fans, like myself, remain fans of the team even in the down years. Almost all fan bases go through ups and downs depending on whether they are winning or losing, and I don't think it hurts to acquire more fans during your good years.

Jr. is a die hard fan, no doubt about it. It's not like he just checks the box score, knows who our coach is, etc. He knows just as much about our team as most here on ES do. He bleeds the B&G, and it's always awesome when they interview him and he talks about it.

When someone talks about "I-70 chip"...the fairweather fan argument goes completely out the window. :)

I don't mind new fans who really don't have a team coming and joining us. What bothers me is when someone says there were a fan there entire life of one team (ex. Cowboys), our most hated team and switching to us. People would kill a Skins fan if they decided to jump over to a Dallas fan. Just stating my opinion about crossover fans, I'm loyal and expect the same from others, if others don't get it oh well, not trying to change your minds, just how I feel.

I was a little disappointed by the people telling him off. Sure he's a bandwagoner, but look at it like we just switched a vote in a swing state in a Presidential election. We should welcome him, try and get him to be a permanent fan, and use him to snag any other disillusioned Cowboys fans.

If we play our cards right in a decade half of Cowboys stadium could be Skins fans chanting RGIII. How sweet that would be!

heh,...reading these posts its ironic both teams are 6-6. You'd think the Skins were 12-0 and the Cowboys 0-12.

Archived