Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The bandwagon effect. Now that we have the NFL's posterboy the bandwagon zombies are arriving. How does this make you feel?

rumplestilskin

You really can't stop fans from rooting for the Skins, but why would you? The only thing to do is accept them graciously and educate them. I say this unless they are blatantly new to the team and show no respect for the proud history of the Skins.

My wife was literally in an argument about this recently. A client of hers was telling her how she is a Skins fan also and that her son is the biggest Redskins fan in all of SWFL and has decorated his room in Redskins swag etc. etc. ? We ran into the pair at Costco (the scene of many fan interactions of mine, as told here before) and the guy Brian was wearing a Ravens shirt. My wife said I thought you were a big Skins fan, he said I am but I root for the Ravens to. I laughed and he said, what are you laughing at? I said Redskins fan never root for the Ravens. He said he was a bigger fan than me and could handle two teams, lol.

I asked how long he lived here in SWFL, he said twenty years now. I asked where he watched the games all those years, he named a Cowboy fanclub bar, lol

At that point not to piss anyone off I just said nice to meet you and left.

You really can't stop fans from rooting for the Skins, but why would you? The only thing to do is accept them graciously and educate them. I say this unless they are blatantly new to the team and show no respect for the proud history of the Skins.

My wife was literally in an argument about this recently. A client of hers was telling her how she is a Skins fan also and that her son is the biggest Redskins fan in all of SWFL and has decorated his room in Redskins swag etc. etc. ? We ran into the pair at Costco (the scene of many fan interactions of mine, as told here before) and the guy Brian was wearing a Ravens shirt. My wife said I thought you were a big Skins fan, he said I am but I root for the Ravens to. I laughed and he said, what are you laughing at? I said Redskins fan never root for the Ravens. He said he was a bigger fan than me and could handle two teams, lol.

I asked how long he lived here in SWFL, he said twenty years now. I asked where he watched the games all those years, he named a Cowboy fanclub bar, lol

At that point not to piss anyone off I just said nice to meet you and left.

Try not to mix business with personal life. I wouldnt be surprised if your wife loses that client.

While we're on the subject of bandwagonism: I live in NC, and another thing that is commonplace here is for 'fans' to like both the Panthers and another team. There's one guy I work with that is supposedly a huge Giants fan, yet he also roots for the Panthers. Another one grew up a Redskins fan, but still roots for the Panthers, too. Another one is supposedly a huge Redskins fan, yet I see him wearing more Panthers gear than Redskins. Another one grew up in the DC area, even had season tix, I believe, but now lives here and has Panthers season tix, yet still roots for the Redskins, too...:doh:

I have two favorite teams: No.1 my beloved Redskins.

No.2 whoever BTSs out of the cowpukes.

Is that OK with you? :)

Btw, these are all just co-workers of mine.:ols: I just don't get the whole "so and so is my favorite team and so and so is my 2nd favorite team"...**** drives me bonkers. Pick ONE team! How hard is it!

---------- Post added December-2nd-2012 at 12:56 PM ----------

Oops! Sorry...my bad.

If bandwagon fans is what comes with having a great team then I'll be more than okay with them. The thought of having a team that would be consider a "lock" every year for a playoff spot would be amazing and well deserved after we've gone through.

And your not suppose to, The more fans we have the better! Let Redskins Nation grow world wide and put to shame the self proclaimed Americas team. All i got to say is all aboard this band wagon, lets fill our stadium and opponents stadium with Redskins fans and make every game our home field advantage.

No problem with that. Like I said, the last 20 years did nothing to build the fan base, so if some want to jump on now as this thing starts to get going, then more power to us. Hope they stay on for the long haul then.

I guess I'm guilty of hopping on the bandwagon... In 1983... when I was 8. I am from Idaho and have never traveled farther East than Columbus Ohio. Never been to the District. From age 2-5 I lived in San Francisco, and had I lived there longer, likely would have become a 49er or Raiders fan. But I didn't, and one year football became interesting and I became interested in a human bowling ball of a running back with an Indian on his helmet. There are plenty of Shoshone, Nez Pierce, Bannock, and Blackfoot native citizens in Idaho so I always had a soft spot for the Redskins in the old Western movies. But I digress.

It was easy to be a Redskins fan in that era and in my youth and naïveté, always assumed they would be more than competitive....then1993 happened... Then 1994 happened... Then 1995... Then 1996... You know how the movie ends.

But I'm still on the bandwagon... And anyone who knows me in the real world KNOWS I am a lifelong Washington Redskins fanatic. So if anyone wants to hop on the bandwagon, go ahead... But are they ready to ride that ************ till the rubber turns to wire? Will they stick around if and when we are eliminated from playoff contention this season? Will they hang around thru a dry spell after a (hopefully) 3 time champion RGIll rides off into the sunset? Time will tell. HTTMFR!!!

I guess I'm guilty of hopping on the bandwagon... In 1983..There are plenty of Shoshone, Nez Pierce, Bannock, and Blackfoot native citizens in Idaho so I always had a soft spot for the Redskins in the old Western movies.

But I'm still on the bandwagon... And anyone who knows me in the real world KNOWS I am a lifelong Washington Redskins fanatic. !

Nothing bandwagon about that story. Plus, as much as I think kid should stretch beyond who is winning, I don't consider a child's picking a team he sees on TV or identifies with as bandwagon. Similar in dynamics in certain regards but less cynical, not a "ploy" just something children would tend to do

maybe we were jealous because we sucked and had no bandwagoners?

May be at least part of the story. ;)

I know when I'm doing the "**** dallas and their bandwagon fans" shtick I'm just hating on the team i hate, in a way where critical thinking, ethics, or logic are not really concerned too much lol.

to a much lesser level of feeling, I don't generally see "bandwagon" fans as my idea of "real" fans. that's why the term was coined.

Dallas bandwagon fans in the DC area from the 80s and 90s were just people rebelling against their redskins fan parents. 2000 era bandwagoners are mostly MD redskins to ravens traitors, who I despise even more I think. That said, the only time I dislike people who bandwagon with my team are when they don't admit it. So I'm ok with new Texas RG3 era Redskins fans, as long as they don't pretend they were with us all along.

I'm still willing to bet money that everyone saying bandwagon fans are fine and dandy (hi George) have often busted hard on Dallas fans for the same thing. ;)

Yeah. As I sit to write an analysis of outputs, outcomes and policy contexts surrounding a certain federal program, I confess to some disappointment that my quasi-academic "practice" post was more or less ignored.

May be at least part of the story. ;)

I know when I'm doing the "**** dallas and their bandwagon fans" shtick I'm just hating on the team i hate, in a way where critical thinking, ethics, or logic are not really concerned too much lol.

to a much lesser level of feeling, I don't generally see "bandwagon" fans as my idea of "real" fans. that's why the term was coined.

They annoy me sometimes but as long as they know they are casual fans (most don't I know), I have no problem. It's when they try to tell me **** ...that's what gets me

People sometimes define bandwagons randomly. You can "jump on a team's wagon" for all kinds of reasons, and if you remain with them (and maybe actually learn about them) through thick and thin over time, then you're not a "bandwagon" fan.

Bandwagon fans come and go with teams that are successful, or have notoriety and image, and usually depart, or move on to another team, after x amount of time if they suck. That's the classic use of the term. It represents no real commitment (as partially reflected in usually having little knowledge of the team or its history), just a desire to bask in some socially positive association.

---------- Post added December-2nd-2012 at 10:52 AM ----------

Yeah. As I sit to write an analysis of outputs, outcomes and policy contexts surrounding a certain federal program, I confess to some disappointment that my quasi-academic "practice" post was more or less ignored.

Nonsense. We were all making fun of it here in the break room.

Can't stop em from "declaring" their new fan hood. And so be it. If we win a Super Bowl then we'll have even more new fans. It is what it is. It's fun when you meet one of these bandwagon fans who know nothing of our history. Just kind of take em to school. But it doesent really bother me. Deep down they know what they are.

Bandwagon definetly picking up in this area too, alot of skins gear is selling faster then normall and alot more from previous years. I don't know how I feel about this. Thinking about picking up a Trent Williams or a Kory Lichtensteiger jersey and we will see who is who.

Nonsense. We were all making fun of it here in the break room.

It's true and I have the pic to prove it.

vlcsnap-19763.png

---------- Post added December-2nd-2012 at 04:37 PM ----------

Try not to mix business with personal life. I wouldnt be surprised if your wife loses that client.

She already did, she didn't like her anyway. Try not to figure out other peoples business. The woman was a wack job and she's glad she is gone.

Archived