Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Moment of Truth for Ryan Kerrigan

armada58

Dont forget his forced fumble too.

If/When this team gets a handful more 'Ryan Kerrigan's', we'll be a force.

Believe that!

Merriweather looked like a force yesterday.... it looked like we played with 10 guys on defense instead of the normal 9 we've had all year.... just need another safety!!!

That was a good game yesterday from ryan, loved the overall impact. I just want to see it duplicated against competition with the same pedigree as him. With the somewhat surprising play of Merriweather I think we'll be able to dial up some more blitzes to compensate for the loss of orakpo. I'd love to see Kerrigan get a sack or two on Romo sits to pee.

Kerrigan had a solid game today. Some of the same complaints that I have read against Rak, I now see about Kerrigan. It is far easier to plan on how to stop one guy (i.e. Kerrigan in this case) than on how to stop two guys i.e. Rak and kerrigan. We do not have another stud apparently on our Dline that causes opponents to gameplan for them....so Kerrigan is getting the full attention of each offensive coordinator every week.

That said, I thought he would have stepped up a little more in the losses to the Steelers and the Panthers. Players make plays after all. Well, yesterday he made plays, and key plays at that. He could have had more QB hurries/pressures/sacks but on several pass rushes I saw him hold up to try and contain the screen/short passing game of the Eagles that was effective on the first couple of series for them. I saw him clearly beat his man, but instead of continuing onto Foles, he was wary for the screen.

Good job by Ryan....and the D as a whole....yesterday. Hope he gets his fill of the Romo sits to pee turkey on Thanksgiving.....

I never thought Kerrigan was going to be an elite defensive player. Having said that I don't think you need a elite players as much as you need a large number of good players, great leadership, and a great defensive coordinator. If you have that your defense is a strength and if you add one or two allstars your defense starts to dominate.

The skins have too many holes for me to worry about good players being elite. The secondary is in shambles and the defensive coaching staff is out of ideas. That needs to be fixed. The redskins got a ton of pressure last season and I think with the right coaching staff and a few additions on defense the unit can be good enough sooner than later.

So, why do you think the Skins got a ton a pressure last year?

I see Rak as a one dimensional power pass rusher, and Ryan as an all around play maker at the position. He creates fumbles, deflections, scored 2 TD's in less than 2 seasons BY HIMSELF, he gets pressure, makes solid tackles, can play recognize well, and strips well. He's a monster.

That was a good game yesterday from ryan, loved the overall impact. I just want to see it duplicated against competition with the same pedigree as him. With the somewhat surprising play of Merriweather I think we'll be able to dial up some more blitzes to compensate for the loss of orakpo. I'd love to see Kerrigan get a sack or two on Romo sits to pee.

Well, thats just it. How can Haslett dial up blitzes if the secondary can't cover? All the fingers have been pointed at Haslett. Not really fair when Orakpo, Carricker, Merriweather have been out. Jackson was suspended. Haslett didn't count on all of that happening. But....................

---------- Post added November-19th-2012 at 12:27 PM ----------

I see Rak as a one dimensional power pass rusher, and Ryan as an all around play maker at the position. He creates fumbles, deflections, scored 2 TD's in less than 2 seasons BY HIMSELF, he gets pressure, makes solid tackles, can play recognize well, and strips well. He's a monster.

I agree. The problem has been that Orakpo has been out. So, the OL can focus on Kerrigan.

---------- Post added November-19th-2012 at 12:25 PM ----------

The Skins need depth at OLB. I want Mario Addison to see more action.

---------- Post added November-19th-2012 at 12:26 PM ----------

Merriweather looked like a force yesterday.... it looked like we played with 10 guys on defense instead of the normal 9 we've had all year.... just need another safety!!!

Have to build around Merriweather.

Well, thats just it. How can Haslett dial up blitzes if the secondary can't cover? All the fingers have been pointed at Haslett. Not really fair when Orakpo, Carricker, Merriweather have been out. Jackson was suspended. Haslett didn't count on all of that happening. But....................

I don't want to make this into another haslett bashing thread, but I'd like to think a player with 1st round pedigree can be a bit impactful even without a fully healthy lineup. Merriweather's play yesterday was very encouraging, and I think if Haslett wants another D-coordinator job he'll be able to use Kerrigan in some more interesting ways. Now I don't know how much of yesterday was that defense finally played better or that the eagles are just hot garbage, but I'm assuming its somwhere in the middle. If we can duplicate this sort of performance against cowboys (even though they haven't been an offensive juggernaut this season) then there will be some reason to sip on some kool aid.

---------- Post added November-19th-2012 at 12:27 PM ----------

I agree. The problem has been that Orakpo has been out. So, the OL can focus on Kerrigan.

---------- Post added November-19th-2012 at 12:25 PM ----------

The Skins need depth at OLB. I want Mario Addison to see more action.

---------- Post added November-19th-2012 at 12:26 PM ----------

Have to build around Merriweather.

I do feel you about the depth. Although I absolutely LOVE Rob Jackson right there at depth man #1. His swim move is sick, and he's made plays. Has 2 INT's, a Touchdown, 1.5 sacks, 3 pass deflects. And I think he came from Cerrato

I do feel you about the depth. Although I absolutely LOVE Rob Jackson right there at depth man #1. His swim move is sick, and he's made plays. Has 2 INT's, a Touchdown, 1.5 sacks, 3 pass deflects. And I think he came from Cerrato

He and Fred Davis are the only two left from that 2008 draft. :ols: :doh: I think having Rob Jackson, Ryan Kerrigan and a healthy Orakpo opens up all kinds of possibilities though.

While I am disappointed that Kerrigan hasn't developed into more of an elite player, I think yesterday showed that he's a guy who cannot be ignored on the field and someone who can take advantage of mismatches.

He was drafted by Cerrato....go figure.

My sentiments exactly,Kerrigan is being held quite often in that same choke that has been used against Orakpo his entire tenure in Washington.That same hold that the NFL apparently deems legal.I see him held game after game but somehow he needs to learn to break that hold,as it is not going to be called.

Clearly, the NFL doesn't consider it a hold.

But the bigger question is whose job is to coach these guys.

They both have the SAME issue, and I don't see any other pass rusher that runs into the same thing as nearly as often.

Heck, it doesn't happen to Rob Jackson nearly as much.

Do Orakpo and Kerrigan just happen to have the same physical limites to their game or is the problem coaching (were Jackson had other coaching at the NFL level before the current regime took over)?

Or is this a coaching issue? Who is coaching pass rush technique for the team, the LB coach, the DL coach, somebody else, nobody?

Acutally, Greg Blache was the one who gave the greenlight to draft Jackson. Vinny's a complete dolt. Still laugh at the posters that defended him for so long.

I'm not and haven't defended Vinny because I don't honestly know.

But it seems to me that some people want to put every bad decision made in that era on Vinny and every good decision on somebody else (Gibbs, Williams, Blache, etc.)

If you are only looking at Kerrigan's sack numbers are are missing a lot of other things he is doing out there, with little help.

He is blowing up screens, he is batting down passes, he is getting into position in the flat to tackle RB's at the point of the completion.

He also is the one who caused the fumble to pretty much seal the game against Philly.

Dude is making plays all over the field.

Would it be nice if he was more dominant against double-teams and got 2 sacks every game? Sure, but he is not a "get sacks or nothing" type of player.

Also, that neck hold is one of the most inconsistently called holds in the NFL, it seems like it happens on every single play that a Pass Rusher beats his man around the corner, but it is only called in certain circumstances.

I remember during on of our games they called in the NFL rules guy, and he said it is legal to do that if the arms are positioned in a certain way, but illegal if they are positioned in another way. It was pretty confusing to me.

I'm not and haven't defended Vinny because I don't honestly know.

But it seems to me that some people want to put every bad decision made in that era on Vinny and every good decision on somebody else (Gibbs, Williams, Blache, etc.)

In an effort to be fair, I'll agree with you. Gibbs needs to shoulder some blame too and Dan for that matter. Vinny wanted to trade 2 #1 picks for Chad Johnson. IMO, this only serves as more evidence confirming his incompetence and total inability to build a viable team. If we had a competent GM, we could have hadt an excellent foundation from which to build upon for years during his tenure. The mismanagement of and total lack of regard for the draft is a huge reason why we have struggled for as long as we have IMO.

Archived