Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

IF Shanahan is let go, who do you want as the new head coach and GM next year?

NIKKI8

Interesting Head Coach pick... I'd be in on that one, but lets see how well he does for a few years. He's obviously overcome a lot this year, but Charlie Weis looked like the real deal, as well as Josh McDaniels in their first season.

I'm a PSU fan. I love O'Brien to death. He has done a remarkable job at PSU. I hope he stays at PSU as long as possible, but if he does leave for the NFL, I hope it's for the 'Skins!

The team has tried every approach: top college coach, legendary coach, regular season champion, up-and-coming assistant, Super Bowl winner...Who knows where to go if Mike doesn't work out?

I'm starting to wish they nabbed Pete Carroll years ago, which is sad.

Edit: up-and-coming assistant was kind of tongue-in-cheek

Agreed. I'm sick of the "has-been" coaches and players landing in Washington after someone else figured out that they are washed up and passes the trash off to us. People can split hairs all day long about what is wrong but for me, the bottom line is the scoreboard. Ws or Ls. How long have we been rebuilding with these people? I would be satisfied with a no-name as long as the job gets done.

I'm a PSU fan. I love O'Brien to death. He has done a remarkable job at PSU. I hope he stays at PSU as long as possible, but if he does leave for the NFL, I hope it's for the 'Skins!

He looks great right now. But... from a Notre Dame fan... give it a year or so. I think O'Brien has a different approach and seems like more of a football guy than Weis did, but Weis looked like the second coming in his first season as HC for Notre Dame. The offense continued to improve and the defense continued to get worse. From what I have seen of Penn State so far, that hasn't been the case. But in hiring a head coach for an NFL team, that's something that should be considered. I hope he does well for you, as hard as I wanted to root against Penn State this year, he's made it very difficult and he's been just what the doctor ordered for that college.

Chip Kelly- HC

Probably get some slack because he is a college coach, but he is totally different than Spurrier,,,Spurrier did not want to work and just tried to get by.

Look up how Kelly runs his practices....

I think Tampa asked about him and he said no, didn't he?

Maybe if he wins the BCS this year he'll want to talk... it'll be interesting. We definitely have his kind of QB.

(I'm a PSU fan. I love O'Brien to death. He has done a remarkable job at PSU. I hope he stays at PSU as long as possible, but if he does leave for the NFL, I hope it's for the 'Skins)

I agree, I am a Penn state fan also and can't believe the job he has done under the circumstances he has had to deal with. Maybe he would be the type of person that could come to DC and right this ship.

On a different topic, what is with Shanahan hiring ex-NFL wide receivers as wide receiver coaches. First Keenan McCardell and then he fired him and hired Ike Hilliard. Our WR have sucked since Terry Robiskie got all that he could out of Westbrook and Connell.

If Danny boy were to fire Shanahan this season or off-season I think I would have to swear off the Redskins until he sells the team.

It would be moronic to fire Shanahan for his record with a team as undermanned as this one.

Shanahan isn't the problem. Years of mis-management and overspending by other administrations and the death of the one real superstar player we had before RG3, compounded by our off season gamble and salary cap "punishment" and an incredible string of injuries is.

My criteria:

I don't want anyone who has already won rings.

I don't want anyone over the age of 50.

I want a young hotshot up and coming coordinator.

For the GM, I want a young hotshot up and comer who has experience as a #2 for a winning franchise(like Atlanta's Demetrioff who came from the Pats organization).

If Danny boy were to fire Shanahan this season or off-season I think I would have to swear off the Redskins until he sells the team.

It would be moronic to fire Shanahan for his record with a team as undermanned as this one.

Shanahan isn't the problem. Years of mis-management and overspending by other administrations and the death of the one real superstar player we had before RG3, compounded by our off season gamble and salary cap "punishment" and an incredible string of injuries is.

Thank you! Couldn't have said it better. People on this board are insane sometimes after a loss.

Oh and just say no to Chip Kelly. College coaches with gimmick schemes won't cut it in the pros.

Lets stop trying to reinvent the wheel. The winning formula is easy. Build with the draft. Hire a GM with a personnel background from a winning team. Let him choose an up and coming coordinator to coach. Even the Detroit Lions figured that out.

Thank you! Couldn't have said it better. People on this board are insane sometimes after a loss.

I think I'm very even keeled... but I think that Mike has looked more and more to have a big defeatists attitude the last two weeks and I just don't think he comes back from it. When you doubt yourself... especially as a head coach... it's time to hang them up.

Look at it this way. Is this the guy you want to be around Griffin for the next 10 years? If not, why not make the move now?

Archived