Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Jill Stein arrested...again

thebluefood

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/green-party-candidate-jill-stein-arrested/2012/10/31/0f309970-2373-11e2-8448-81b1ce7d6978_story.html

Green Party presidential candidate Jill Stein was arrested Wednesday morning in east Texas while attempting to bring food and Halloween candy to protesters camping out in trees to oppose the Keystone XL pipeline, according to anti-pipeline activists. Stein was taken to the Wood County jail and charged with criminal trespassing, a class B misdemeanor, said Kim Huynh, a spokesman for the Tar Sands Blockade.

One comment from Dr. Stein got my attention due to recent events:

Before her arrest, Stein said in a statement that “the climate is taking this election by storm, breaking the silence of the Obama and Romney campaigns that have been bought and paid for by the oil, coal and gas companies.” She added, “Hurricane Sandy is just a taste of what’s to come under the climate destroying policies of Romney and Obama.”

This is Dr. Stein's third arrest since her campaign started. This woman is official the honey badger of the election: she just doesn't give a **** and I have to applaud her for that.

Yeah, though I don't agree with her on a lot of her ideas, this woman has more guts than Obama and Romney combined.

Easy to do when you have nothing to lose. For example, I've been saying for the last several years that I'm not going to vote because both parties are worthless and nearly identical. I lived in MD when I came to that conclusion. Now I live in VA, a battleground state where my vote actually can make a difference. I'm having a much harder time justifying my position and am fairly certain that I'll be at the polls voting for one of the goddam republicrats. Suddenly that nuances in that "nearly identical" seem more important now that my vote can actually have an effect. Similarly, if Stein ever had a snowball's chance in hell of actually enacting and being held accountable for energy policy, the nuances involved across a whole spectrum of areas would likely make her current position less tenable.

For example, I've been saying for the last several years that I'm not going to vote because both parties are worthless and nearly identical. I lived in MD when I came to that conclusion.

Completely OT, I know, but I want to make the point that people should STILL vote, even if you vote for NOBODY. The two parties would LOVE to have three people vote in each state:

1 that votes R, 1 that would vote D, and one that goes back and forth.

Trust me on this, the parties LOVE disinterested and disaffected voters.

Large numbers of people showing up to the polls and not voting for either of their candidates scare them.

If you aren't happy with the status quo, not voting does not affect change. Go vote and even don't press a button for President at all if you aren't happy with any of the options (I'd suggest voting for SOMETHING. I'm not sure what they do with a ballot that isn't marked at all. Take some of your local races and randomly pick people if you have no who you prefer.).

If everybody that said they weren't happy with the choices actually DID go vote, we'd get different choices.

Polls, ads, and policies are shaped by on what politicians think the people that are going to show up and vote want.

On the current topic of voting 3rd party, I'd love it if we moved to popular vote with a runoff election. People would have no problem voting 3rd party if they knew they'd have a 2nd runoff vote coming a few weeks later if nobody obtained a majority.

I'd actually love that.

I still like the idea of one house of Congress (I'd say the House) should be proportional.

Besides doing away with gerrymandering, here in Florida, 3% of the vote would be enough to get a Libertarian in Congress. (7% or so of the vote would get two of them.)

Suddenly, voting third party actually counts.

Here's the thing I want everyone to learn about Stein... and any 3rd party candidate, for that matter...

The only time she ever makes the news is usually b/c of something outrageous. Is it b/c she's outrageous? Or... is that all the news wants you to see? Why doesn't the news give as much attention to her speeches, debates, platform, etc, as they do these outrageous acts that result in arrest?

The moderate quality news networks have been giving the American public a heavy dose of Romney and Obama. And yes, they report on the more colorful antics of these candidates as well as the other state level candidates. But they report on almost nothing about Stein or Johnson or other candidates.

I do not think that's fair at all. People get their news primary from a small source of outlets... namely network news and cable news... and it's almost impossible to get your name out there unless your a.) a Republican, b.) a Democrat, or c.) rich enough to spar with them.

I can tell you that Dr. Stein is not an outrageous person. It's unfortunate she has to participate in stunts like this to get the news to notice her. I applaud all that she has done in this election cycle. I agree with much of her platform, although some of it is too 3rd rail. And let's be honest, if she was elected (and I know she wouldn't be) most of the 3rd rail issues wouldn't even be possible.

I fully intend to vote for her. The only wasted vote is the one not cast. I believe in what she wants to do far more than the duopoly. I believe we're in need of a major shake up in Washington. I'm not so naive that I believe the Green party can and will shake up Washington over night but I know (and all of you do as well) that the more we vote for 3rd party candidates, the more the major duopoly will be forced to evolve and change. They will be forced to notice a shift of votes going to a new party. And they won't like it.

I voted 3rd party in 2008. I intend to do the same this election. I wish more people in this country were either...

1) smart enough to know that there are more options then being a lemming to the two party system

2) had the balls to go against the grain

3) know that like Ellis above said, that actually not voting is a wasted vote

I'd like to see changes to the debates. I think we talked about this in another thread. Let everyone who is running for President in on the debates. Ross Perot was able to get in on the debates because he had money. Why can't we have more than 2 people in a debate? They do it with the primaries.

I might vote for a 3rd party someday...if they're positions weren't worse than the other two.

;)

I'm running in 2016 on a platform to turn all homophones into homonyms to eliminate spelling errors. Their, they're, and there will all be spelled "there" if I am elected. I trust I have your vote.

I'm running in 2016 on a platform to turn all homophones into homonyms to eliminate spelling errors. Their, they're, and there will all be spelled "there" if I am elected. I trust I have your vote.

You know, I looked at that a bit and thought it looked odd.

For some reason my grammar (and judgement) must be worse with only two hours of sleep.

Odd that.

:)

The moderate quality news networks have been giving the American public a heavy dose of Romney and Obama. And yes, they report on the more colorful antics of these candidates as well as the other state level candidates. But they report on almost nothing about Stein or Johnson or other candidates.

I do not think that's fair at all. People get their news primary from a small source of outlets... namely network news and cable news... and it's almost impossible to get your name out there unless your a.) a Republican, b.) a Democrat, or c.) rich enough to spar with them.

The 3-4 networks choose who is going to get the nomination pretty much. They just don't give time to the ones they don't like. Ron Paul for instance had about 85-90% of the online vote for who won the Fox News debate last year but Fox News just acted like he was a nutcase and then later removed the poll results from the website and said that 2-3% favored Ron Paul and some other dude who I can't remember had everybody talking, when nobody was talking about the guy lol . This Stein person I've never even heard of but out of the ones I have I'd vote for Johnson but he get 0 time and 99% of the voters have no idea who he is either.

I live in California though. I have been not voting for years but maybe I'll show up this time since I'm actually here in the US and can vote. It's not going to stop Obama from getting like 60% of the vote here though lol.

I live in California though. I have been not voting for years but maybe I'll show up this time since I'm actually here in the US and can vote. It's not going to stop Obama from getting like 60% of the vote here though lol.

I'm sure you know this, but there are other candidates and issues on the ballot. It's not just about the presidential election.

Archived