Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are "we" still the best fans in the NFL?

Widget_5

I have no idea what fans are the best but when I watch games on TV and think "man that stadium is going crazy!" it's often a Seahawks home game. I want to fly there and attend a game and sit in that strange little triangle they have built into that awesome stadium.

centurylink1-600x450.jpg

I have no idea what fans are the best but when I watch games on TV and think "man that stadium is going crazy!" it's often a Seahawks home game. I want to fly there and attend a game and sit in that strange little triangle they have built into that awesome stadium.

http://www.seattlerex.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/centurylink1-600x450.jpg

I love their stadium. It is so unique and charming among NFL architecture and yet it still shows a modern design without being too big and ugly. I also love the overhang to keep the noise in soccer style.

If the Redskins ever built a new stadium I hope they would follow along the lines of something creative like that over the standard "huge ugly bowl" of modern stadiums.

I don't give my children trophies when they bring home B's on their report card either. They do however know that I love them and will never leave them
This is genius. Sums up my feelings about the Skins perfectly. :)

Mine as well. This has been my team my whole life and will be till I'm gone.

Sidenote: Monday, we voted first thing (I was wearing my RGIII jersey). The lady who checked me in was a Steelers fan, and we spent time talking about football. She commented on how good RGIII's fakes are, etc. Then I had to do some shopping. Got great comments all day, both on our QB and the jersey...obviously not familiar territory. It seems everyone, even fans of other teams, are wishing us well. Good feeling.

not sure if our fans can be matched with excitement and interest but our fan base lacks football knowledge. We seem to be one of the few stadiums that makes all kinds of noise while we are on offense. It gets even louder during big plays. The Steelers had the ball on O and it was completely quiet at stadium. Simple understanding of the game, I'd rank us low.

not sure if our fans can be matched with excitement and interest but our fan base lacks football knowledge. We seem to be one of the few stadiums that makes all kinds of noise while we are on offense. It gets even louder during big plays. The Steelers had the ball on O and it was completely quiet at stadium. Simple understanding of the game, I'd rank us low.

That's what happens when you have 90,000+ seats. No sense of exclusivity.

Sure we are. I have a relative that moved into the area last year, and he told me. You guys cheer for your team no matter what their record is. You say we're going to the superbowl. Well I live in Pa and if the Eagles win just 2 games in a row I hear "We're going to the Superbowl" . But let them lose the next week and It's Fire the coach, fire the QB ..They suck! Redskins fans are loyal... extremely loyal. Heck we have to be, because we have SUCKED for many years and we still support our team.

---------- Post added October-31st-2012 at 03:31 PM ----------

I'm not sure the noise coming from our fans. In my section ( upper deck, visitor side), it's almost quiet when we on O accept for those of oppsite fans. HTTR.

I have Phanavision and I have noticed.... it sounds far louder on the radio and tv than it actually is in the stadium.

I don't think we are #1, but we are in the top because us fans have put up with loads of **** in the last 20 years & still remain loyal.

Every team has it's fair weathered fans and it's bandwagon fans. Especially winning teams such as Pittsburgh which is the best example of a fan base that is consistently full of fair weathered fans.

I think most if not every fan base has its group of knowledgeable fans with some combination of dedicated, traveled, die hard, etc..then you have fair weather fans, douche bag fans, bandwagon fans, negative disgruntled fans, homer fans..etc. etc. The Steelers have a pretty great reputation as great fans..and it shows to me..they travel well..and watching the game...it was pin drop whisper quiet on offense when Ben was working....yet at Redskins home games sometimes it's loud on offense with chants of RG3..smh. Steelers very loud on defense...us...certain sections are..but not good enough. We just need a team that has a chance at the play offs most every season and I think some of the better support will come. Idk httr!

I've always admired Skins, Broncos and Browns fans...total die-hards win or lose..although Skins fan had a few defections to Baltimore which was sad...

The best I have ever heard the fans in the new stadium was when RGIII ran the TD against the Vikings..totally reminded me of the old days of RFK.

2nd best was the blocked FG against Dallas with Sean Taylor.

However, for years we have taken credit for 'being the best fans in the NFL' and I think that we do so wrongly. I fear that actually, we are some of the worst.

HTTR

First, let me just say, if you are still a fan of the Washington Redskins, then there is no such thing as "fair-weather". You have lived thru the Norv years, the Spurrier experiment & Zorn wagon. There's no way a person can come thru the decade of defication this team has handed us year in year out & be fair-weather.

As far as "best fans" goes...? I don't know. I have to say no. We (as a fanbase) have found better things to do with our time on Sundays then waste our time in the stadium surrounded by drunken idiot opposing team fans (or on far too many occasions, our own fans) looking for trouble, & let's face it, most of us grow up. It's one thing when you're single, in your early 20's & have no ambition in life, but to destroy brain cells & anything not wearing your colors. But then, you get married, start a family, start realizing that going to work the following morning is far too painful after a Sunday of boozing & losing. So, many Skins fans stay at home, watch the game from the comfort of their homes, maybe still drink a few, but it's a lot easier to recover at home then on the way home. In that traffic.

However....Skins fans are knowledgable & know their football. Better than most fans I've come across. The Redskins are not what I consider a bandwagon team. In other words, people aren't going to jump on our bandwagon even when we start winning (notice I said when, not if). People have taken a solid stance against us for years for a number of reasons & they aren't about to change their minds now or ever.

But, there are Skins fans EVERYWHERE. Down here in Mobile, Al. there are pockets of Skins fans from back when they were the "team of the South" & our fight song was "Fight for ole Dixie" not "DC". So, There are also transplants, like me.

Best fans? No. But, we are far from the worst either.

It's funny how these days, thanks to media and technology, the fan base is no longer just the city and nearby. Used to be, you move away from your team's city, you don't watch them anymore, period, unless you have a friend from home mail you a VHS. On top of that, season tickets are sold to just whoever from wherever, and it's not necessarily the same home town people at the game every week. (maybe this was still true in the past, but not nearly as much without internet)

So it's a lot harder to judge a fanbase for, well, anything. Hell, message boards like this one might be just the place to do it these days, and if that's the case, oh boy lol. But just think: people have always been dumb, lol. If the ability to type out random thoughts to the world was available back then, everyone would have been doing it, and every team would appear to have fickle, ignorant fans. Remind yourselves people: there is not ONE team in the NFL who has 100% perfectly happy fans. Not even close.

Vinny's shenanigans were uniquely bad, and laughable and that's hard to shake off, but it needs to be done. That's what I got from your OP anyway, let's remember we're starting anew with RG3, and 2 years with Shanny before that really isn't a long time. It's still just starting.

Given a hard enough look, every team's message board will make that team's fans look ridiculous. If anything, we currently have a lot of 'rah rah' fans just waiting for RG3 to do another 80 yard touchdown run. That's fine, let them have their fun. I just wish the home crowd itself was a little more...better. But hey, last time we were at home, that very 80yd touchdown run happened and the crowd was louder than I've probably ever heard it. Maybe things started improving at just that moment. We'll see Sunday.

Archived