Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are "we" still the best fans in the NFL?

Widget_5

I appreciate that there are going to be a lot of people on this board that are going to blast me for this thread, I understand that & accept it.

However, for years we have taken credit for 'being the best fans in the NFL' and I think that we do so wrongly. I fear that actually, we are some of the worst.

Don't get me wrong obviously during the Hail days of Gibbs I, we supported our team with pride, but I wonder whether the last decade has caused a lot of our so called "fans" to be fair-weather.

Yes, I know some of the teams haven't been great (or maybe even good) but they are still ours, for better or for worse.

Just take a look at some of the threads that are on this board bashing players & coaches, do any of you actually truly believe that players or coaches are deliberately playing/coaching to loose? We even booed our backup QB at HOME!

What makes things even more apparent is that if we go on a five game winning streak and the media don't annoint us SB contenders, then there will be post saying (as there already has been) suggesting that the media hates us and don't give us any credit.

Why should they, when we don't ourselves.

I know that we could of played better in the last game, and I know that we have improvements to make as a team, but if WE are a TEAM, the that includes us!

For those that can't get on board with this concept (and here's where some people will kick back) there are 31 other teams you can choose to 'support'.

So can we please stop all the negativity, stop the bashing and start supporting our team, this is a fresh RGIII lead era of Redskins football, let's get the stadium rocking on Sunday for a must win game and believe in the TEAM.

HTTR

I'm not sure that any fan base can really take that title. Every NFL team has good and bad fans, rabid and casual fans, patient and impatient fans. I'm sure at some point during the 80s we believed we were the best there had to offer and I'm sure there were reasonable points in our favor. But I would think that 15-20 fan bases believe they are the best in the league. From Green Bay to Pittsburgh (successful teams) to Kansas City and Cleveland (struggling teams) you'd be hard-pressed to really determine who wins out.

To say any fanbase is the best is foolish. We were never the best. We had a great team in close knit stadium that won a lot and celebrated a lot of glory together rooting for a team that had likeable "good" guys and a great classy coach.

That built up a lot of goodwill amongst fans, which the team has spent the better part of 20 years ruining by repeatedly slapping them in face and humiliating them.

I don't think we are any better or worse than we were in the good old days. We have just been losing and society as a whole has changed causing a lot of the different temperments and attitudes among fans.

Just my take though I never lived through the good old days.

Just my take though I never lived through the good old days.

I did. And our great fans ripped Gibbs after losses back then (on radio instead of over the Internet) for being too conservative, starting the wrong QB, etc. Fans are like your pre-school kids (if you have them), no matter what you give them they just want more. Give them some of the Skittles you're eating and they just get mad at you once they devour them and you don't immediately have more for them.

Jerks.

What were we talking about?

Interesting, I didnt know you were elected to designate who can be a fan and under what restrictions.. thats awesome. Congrats!

I have a few titles in mind for your new position...

Who cares who is the best or the worst.

People are passionate about the Skins, whether it be positive or negative at times... its all for love of the team. Why does it bother you?

I think only a Cowboy fan would suggest something as lame as what you have written, so go kiss Jerry's arse.

While I really like and agree with you, I must say that if this board is any indication, then the majority of Skins fans are only fair weather fans and nothing more.

I also get it that the team should be better than they are and it is our right to question the leadership and also the players. But really, with the advent of social media, it becomes easy for anyone with a thought to express it, no matter if it is right/wrong/or based on any kind of fact (I have been guilty of this at times).

I do believe that Skins fans are craving a team that is able to compete and win on any given Sunday, and so far this franchise has not been able to produce one. It has become frustrating to no end and the fans are expressing their frustration.

While I really like and agree with you, I must say that if this board is any indication, then the majority of Skins fans are only fair weather fans and nothing more.

I also get it that the team should be better than they are and it is our right to question the leadership and also the players. But really, with the advent of social media, it becomes easy for anyone with a thought to express it, no matter if it is right/wrong/or based on any kind of fact (I have been guilty of this at times).

I do believe that Skins fans are craving a team that is able to compete and win on any given Sunday, and so far this franchise has not been able to produce one. It has become frustrating to no end and the fans are expressing their frustration.

please tell me when in the last 19 years of my life have the skins EVER had fair weather?

are you kidding me?

Ppl maintain accounts and post a million times a day on a team that has sucked and been a laughing stock for 20 years. Come on man

Just take a look at some of the threads that are on this board bashing players & coaches, do any of you actually truly believe that players or coaches are deliberately playing/coaching to loose?

When, on the heels of giving up a 77-yard game winning TD bomb against the Giants, the defense allows the Steelers to march up and down the field like nobody's business, do you honestly expect folks on here to be singing Jim Haslett's praises?

We overrate ourselves as a fanbase like most fanbases do, but all in all, it's clear that the Redskins can boast of a fanbase that is at least in the top 1/4 or so of the league. Most pro sports franchises that suck for as long as we have develop apathetic fans. No one goes. No one cares.

With the Redskins, the passion still burns for the most part. 20 years of misery lends itself to that passion manifesting itself in some pretty ugly ways... The fanbase is pretty angry and jaded and cynical. We turn on each really quickly and you can sense the tension and feeling of impending doom when you attend games at FedEx. It's not a happy, jovial, fun, "make the stands shake" fanbase anymore, but they are still there, which is more than you can say for most teams who have been this lousy this long.

I never thought we had the best fan base in the NFL. In fact, I think we have a below average fan base. This is mainly due to the transient area, the success of the ravens, Mr. Snyder's bad press, and the performance in the last 20 years.

Are things turning around? Absolutely! In fact I have this feeling that we may turn into the team with the bandwagon fans in the next 2-3 years.

For those that can't get on board with this concept (and here's where some people will kick back) there are 31 other teams you can choose to 'support'.

So HTTR

I was OK with the post until this little diddy. Getting tired of people telling me who to root for if I don't agree with everything that happens with this team.

I wonder if we're ever gonna see a trend toward more intimate stadiums trying to create a home field advantage, rather than just bigger, and more elaborate. Kinda like what baseball's done since Camden Yards trying to replicate a feeling, but with all the modern amenities. Like if FedEx were built to evoke RFK only much nicer and more modern.

I think we will...though we don't really have any new stadiums due to be built. I think the trend over the next 20 years will be smaller stadiums. The main driver, in my mind, is that stadiums are competing with how nice the football product is in HD.

In related news, the Cowboys are seeing that the home-field advantage in their new digs isn't taking shape:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-cowboys/headlines/20121027-is-it-that-bad-cowboys-beg-ticket-holders-to-stand-up-and-cheer.ece

I wonder if we're ever gonna see a trend toward more intimate stadiums trying to create a home field advantage, rather than just bigger, and more elaborate. Kinda like what baseball's done since Camden Yards trying to replicate a feeling, but with all the modern amenities. Like if FedEx were built to evoke RFK only much nicer and more modern.

There is a time and a place for negativity. I personally think that we have a GM in place now b/c of all the negativity surrounding the team and Snyder.

Things are better now but putting lipstick on a pig is something that most of us 'fans' are just not going to do anymore.

To the OP do you have any specific examples of said 'negative' behavior?

A quick glance -

fire Haslett thread (worth discussing at the least)

the Kerrigan thread (OP is gettting clowned as he should be)

Keading Kicker thread (again the consensus in the thread is a change would be dumb)

Pretty much par for the course around here after a Sunday loss.

I rank fan bases by dedication through good and bad, attendance at their stadium and some road presence, and the majority of the fan base being intelligent about the sport + their team.

For instance GB will always have the best fans in the NFL. You could talk to anyone, male or female, WI born and bred or from anywhere in the country and their fans know their stuff, pack their stadium and any stadium anywhere close (like here in STL).

St Louis would be the exact opposite. Dumb football fans, only show up when the team is good and its because they all stop being fans when the team isnt good. (having their team leave might have a lot to do with this)

I think the Skins fans are better than middle of the road but not in the same class as GB. I meet smart and dumb fans, people who wont spend the time to go to a game if the team is bad and I meet people like me who haven't missed a snap of a game since my Wedding day ... Stupid Saturday football!

First of all, there's no such thing. Second of all, almost no team in the NFL has gone through what Redskins fans have over the last 20 years. 4 playoff appearances after winning the SB in '91 and never getting to the NFC championship game. Particularly in the last decade we have been nothing short of an embarrassment. Frankly, fans can only take so much. I consider myself to be a diehard fan because I follow the team year round and watch every game despite this insane losing trend, but you can only expect a fan base to have a decent amount of fair-weather fans when not just winning the Super Bowl is far-fetched, but even competing for a playoff spot has been out of the question for the majority of seasons over 2 decades!! Yes, people are going to quit on the team. You want to know why the Steelers fans and Packers fans are so great? It's not just because they've won Super Bowls recently, it's because they contend every single year. Even if they aren't the Vegas favorites to take home the Lombardi trophy, their fans understand that the team will be run well and will give them a chance for success year in and year out. As everyone on this board clearly knows, this has simply not happened in Washington for a long time. You are going to lose fans. That's the nature of sports.

I live in New England right now and I can't possibly tell you how many people I talk to that always say "wow it's going to be tough to watch the Pats when Brady and Belichick are gone... I don't know what I'm going to do..." Well no *****, they won't be contending year in and year out. The Skins will get to that point eventually. If management can put some pieces around RGIII, it might happen sooner rather than later, and then you'll see fans worthy of being called the most subjective title in sports of "best fans in the league". But it's just unreasonable to expect that fans are going to be raucous at every home game and travel to tons of away games when the team doesn't compete, people don't want to spend their money on a useless product.

In related news, the Cowboys are seeing that the home-field advantage in their new digs isn't taking shape:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-cowboys/headlines/20121027-is-it-that-bad-cowboys-beg-ticket-holders-to-stand-up-and-cheer.ece

Something I was thinking about earlier today, after listening to LaVar and Chad (who I find more tolerable these days) is something LaVar said about the Eagles and their free agent shopping spree.

The Eagles and Cowboys had prime examples of what not to do in their own division. The Redskins bringing in high priced big name free agents every year, which most of the time failed miserably, and Fed Ex Field which basically took all the best parts of what made RFK so great and flushed them. The Eagles after years of excellent drafting and team building decided to go after a bunch of big name free agents, and have clearly ruined their team chemistry. Jerry built "Jerruh World" a stadium so damn big, with so many opposing fans ALWAYS in attendance that any home field advantage they had at Texas Stadium has been totally lost.

As for the best fans in the NFL, I don't think anybody can claim such a distinction. How do you decide what parameters are in place on which to base such a decision? I think every fan base has their "die hards." I think the indigenous population of the DMV largely lives and dies with Redskins football. Generations of Redskins fans have lived here, and brought their kids up to root for the team. They are part of our local culture, it's ingrained in us. However, places like Green Bay and Pittsburgh have very loyal fan bases also, we aren't the only ones.

I think a lot of people are just fed up with losing. Everybody deals with that differently.

This thread looks like a nice way to tell fans to stop ****ing after a loss. Fans are Fans, they complain,*****,moan, etc... with a loss, multiple losses add fuel to the fire and with a win it's like putting a pacifier in a baby's mouth.

The negativity can be annoying at times, but like other posters have stated we all love this team. Some fans deal with the adversities different than others.

I live in New England right now and I can't possibly tell you how many people I talk to that always say "wow it's going to be tough to watch the Pats when Brady and Belichick are gone... I don't know what I'm going to do..." Well no *****, they won't be contending year in and year out. The Skins will get to that point eventually.

Good post and I'll add to the "Patriots Mystique" that they've had such a rabid fanbase. Prior to Brady and Belichick, they had blackouts at Sullivan Stadium. They did have a couple of years when they had a SB run (86 and 96) but the Patriots were never considered elite. In the late 70s and early 80s, the Pats competed for the #1 overall pick many times with the likes of the Colts and Buccaneers. Their phenomenon that they do things the "Patiot Way" or somehow their FO and fans have been the best in the NFL is total BS.

I think the Packers fans have to be the best in the NFL along with the Browns fans. Green Bay had some really lean years from 1970 until 1996 with a few playoffs sprinkled in. They lacked a franchise QB and now, low and behold Favre and Rodgers happen along and they have been good for quite a while.

I can honestly say Pittsburgh probably has been the model franchise since 1970. They've probably had the fewest "lean years" out of any franchise in the NFL. I can recall from 1985 (last few years of Noll) to the early 90s (when Cowher finally got it together) that Pittsburgh had some lean years. Otherwise, they've been contenders for quite a while now.

Cleveland fans have been some of the best, despite the garbage they've put on the field since expansion. They had some good teams in the 80s, but couldn't get past Denver and Elway. I saw a guy wearing a Browns hat and jersey here in Charlotte yesterday. That was different.

This is never discussed here.

Ever.

---------- Post added October-30th-2012 at 03:31 PM ----------

Good post and I'll add to the "Patriots Mystique" that they've had such a rabid fanbase. Prior to Brady and Belichick, they had blackouts at Sullivan Stadium. They did have a couple of years when they had a SB run (86 and 96) but the Patriots were never considered elite. In the late 70s and early 80s, the Pats competed for the #1 overall pick many times with the likes of the Colts and Buccaneers. Their phenomenon that they do things the "Patiot Way" or somehow their FO and fans have been the best in the NFL is total BS.

I think the Packers fans have to be the best in the NFL along with the Browns fans. Green Bay had some really lean years from 1970 until 1996 with a few playoffs sprinkled in. They lacked a franchise QB and now, low and behold Favre and Rodgers happen along and they have been good for quite a while.

I can honestly say Pittsburgh probably has been the model franchise since 1970. They've probably had the fewest "lean years" out of any franchise in the NFL. I can recall from 1985 (last few years of Noll) to the early 90s (when Cowher finally got it together) that Pittsburgh had some lean years. Otherwise, they've been contenders for quite a while now.

Cleveland fans have been some of the best, despite the garbage they've put on the field since expansion. They had some good teams in the 80s, but couldn't get past Denver and Elway. I saw a guy wearing a Browns hat and jersey here in Charlotte yesterday. That was different.

Packers fans shouldn't count. Cheering for that team is like going to church and everyone in that stadium has had their season tickets willed to them by a relative who died in 1965.

People in Cleveland are broke, it snows in June, and the team has no hope. And they keep going.

I would argue that Steeler fans are maybe the worse in the NFL. Go to one of their message boards.

They have the same number of "Fire ____" and "Cut _____" as we do.

They get mad when they don't like the margin of victory in a Super Bowl. "We weren't dominant enough."

They are turning on Mike Wallace as we speak because he wants to make a lot of money and dropped a pass once.

---------- Post added October-30th-2012 at 03:34 PM ----------

First of all, there's no such thing. Second of all, almost no team in the NFL has gone through what Redskins fans have over the last 20 years.

Browns and Bills fans would like to punch you in the junk.

Archived