Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Adam Schefter Twitter: Goodell recuses self in bounty case, passes it to Tagliabue

terpskins10

Could he be doing this to counter the defamation cases? Perhaps he's discovered that being the only decision maker resulted in an unforeseen level of personal responsibility which has resulted in a lawsuit directed at him. Could Tags weighing in change this from something Roger is doing to something the NFL is doing, legally?

WOW. What a ***** move. So he simply tries to wash his hands of it and pass responsibility on to Tagliabue putting him in a lose lose situation. If Tagliabue sides with the players, he pretty much obliterates any credibility Goodell has left. If he sides with Goodell, some people may accuse him of just having Goodell's back. Take some responsibility for your actions and have a backbone Goodell.

WOW. What a ***** move. So he simply tries to wash his hands of it and pass responsibility on to Tagliabue putting him in a lose lose situation. If Tagliabue sides with the players, he pretty much obliterates any credibility Goodell has left. If he sides with Goodell, some people may accuse him of just having Goodell's back. Take some responsibility for your actions and have a backbone Goodell.

...and if he did "have a backbone", you would be saying something along the lines of "GOD-dell making the decisions as judge, jury, executioner, and appeal hearer again. What a ****ing joke of a commissioner".

You can't have it both ways.

...and if he did "have a backbone", you would be saying something along the lines of "GOD-dell making the decisions as judge, jury, executioner, and appeal hearer again. What a ****ing joke of a commissioner".

You can't have it both ways.

The commissioner has always had that power to be judge, jury and executioner. I think that's kind of a product of the system. It's always been that way. Goodell has drawn flak for it because of all the fines and suspensions he's subjectively given out for hits and things of that nature. In this case, I think he actually has some credibility and support because of what was happening in New Orleans. These few players continue to appeal their case because they have the "right" to do so, although I think they certainly had some part to play in what happened.

So in this case, you would be wrong and I think he should maintain responsibility. Goodell has earned his critics not because of the power he holds, but because of how he's chosen to wield it. Tagliabue held the same position but handled it so well that if he ever was in a tough situation, he had the players' and fans' respect and benefit of the doubt in his decisions. So I am not trying to "have it both ways." Goodell has done his thing his way since taking the position. Right or wrong in his decision he has always just gone with it. So why step out of the position now and hand off an extremely volatile situation to Tagliabue?

To be honest, I'm not even really sure how this happened. I thought Tagliabue was retired and no longer held any official position of authority within the NFL?

Yeah, I'm sure Goodell had the "Hey, you're going to find them guilty, right?" chat with Tags before making this decision. There is no question how this will turn out. Goodell just makes it look like he made the decision to let someone else make the already made decision.

• 1 month later...

Boy...did you guys hear the interview on CBS pre-game show with Anthony Hargrove....going by what was discussed there, it looks like the NFL may eat another boatload of **** on quite a bit of this bounty gate stuff...won't try to repeat all the details (there were so many) but very interesting...hopefully some clips or transcripts become available for posting and discussion.

Boy...did you guys hear the interview on CBS pre-game show with Anthony Hargrove....going by what was discussed there, it looks like the NFL may eat another boatload of **** on quite a bit of this bounty gate stuff...won't try to repeat all the details (there were so many) but very interesting...hopefully some clips or transcripts become available for posting and discussion.

I read an article on espn about the players again rejecting a settlement. I can help but wonder if the bounty gate players are victorious how that will affect the "spirit of the cap" ruling and any court challenges related to it.

Archived