Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES: Can the Redskins defense survive the Orakpo/Carriker injuries?

themurf

Not being able to deal with success is a **** excuse that applies to teams without stud QBs or veteran coaching staffs. We can rise above that in the coming years.

But, to be honest, I don't see us tasting much in the way of success in any capacity this season with these horrendous injuries. With Meriweather back, we might suck marginally less in the secondary, but any NFL QB will see through our Swiss cheese secondary with enough time to look at it. There's so much unnecessary pressure being placed on RG3 with the D being as awful as it is, but hey, it's not like we were a playoff favorite heading into the season. If he can navigate us to 9-7, I'll be extremely pleased.

D. Hall talking further on 106.7 said:

1. Some players lost their edge coming into the game on the high of winning the Saints game, celebrating and being self-congratlatory

2. M. Williams watched the tape of the Rams game real closely and told D. Hall the defense looked real soft on tape. Williams has played for M. Lewis and told D. Hall that Lewis is going to tell the Bengals to play the Rams intimidation style game and expect the Redskins to back down. So D. Hall said they better be amped for that type of game.

D. Hall talking further on 106.7 said:

1. Some players lost their edge coming into the game on the high of winning the Saints game, celebrating and being self-congratlatory

2. M. Williams watched the tape of the Rams game real closely and told D. Hall the defense looked real soft on tape. Williams has played for M. Lewis and told D. Hall that Lewis is going to tell the Bengals to play the Rams intimidation style game and expect the Redskins to back down. So D. Hall said they better be amped for that type of game.

I'm usually a pacifist, but week 2 ruined me.

The league more closely resembles the XFL than anything right now, so I think that's a great call. Part of me believes Josh Morgan had the right attitude, though he went about it the wrong way and at the wrong time. LeSean McCoy commented earlier that Ray Lewis and co. were going out of their way to intimidate the refs, so what can I say? Let's go home and get the biased, incompetent refs on our side (shouldn't be difficult) and knock some heads together. Abuse AJ Green all day and force a relatively inexperienced Andy Dalton to make his reads. I doubt the Bengals will have any answer for our offense, besides asserting their own.

Everybody needs to relax.

We finally have a home game and can play in our Burgundy over Gold uni's.

What we need is Garcon back.

We will be fine.

We have the #4 highest QB rated player, as our commander and leader.

Who also is the #19 leading rusher in the NFL of ALL players.

If we can keep him healthy, we will be in every game!

Thats a big if though. They keep running him like they are and there is no chance he stays healthy for the entire season.

The defense is going to suffer.

We don't have a D-Line that is dominant, and the Secondary is SUSPECT! Watch out for the deep ball, and quick scores with a pass rush.

Want proof! Take a look at how of D played against the Rams. Pathetic.

And, Danny and his SPECIAL TEAMS are a JOKE!

Not impressed with Cundiff. Kickers all over the league are kicking FG and making them from 50 plus yards. Cudiff can't even scratch that!

I'm usually a pacifist, but week 2 ruined me.

The league more closely resembles the XFL than anything right now, so I think that's a great call. Part of me believes Josh Morgan had the right attitude, though he went about it the wrong way and at the wrong time. LeSean McCoy commented earlier that Ray Lewis and co. were going out of their way to intimidate the refs, so what can I say? Let's go home and get the biased, incompetent refs on our side (shouldn't be difficult) and knock some heads together. Abuse AJ Green all day and force a relatively inexperienced Andy Dalton to make his reads. I doubt the Bengals will have any answer for our offense, besides asserting their own.

They shouldn't. Their defense (especially secondary) is even more suspect than ours.

Going into the season on defense the secondary appeared to be the only potential problem and now with these two injuries the defense is going to be challenged every week as a unit. Many fans will begin to worry more about the defense responding and less about the offense now that our quarterback has demonstrated that he can get the job done from game to game. Last year our offense was just awful by any meaningful standard.

Thats a big if though. They keep running him like they are and there is no chance he stays healthy for the entire season.

I can't believe they're running RG3 as much as they are--he seems great at everything else, so I don't get why it's necessary. Guess they have a lot of faith in Cousins?

Our D did look soft Sun. Football's a game of emotion and adrenalin as much as it is talent; we were on fire v. N.O. and flat against St. L. You could see the difference in their body language between plays that their energy level, mental game, and confidence were down. I expect them to bounce back.

Orakpo will be a bigger loss than Carriker, but when they were both in there the defense didn't look good anyway. I believe that we can still perform ok without them, now is the chance for someone else to show that they can get the job done.

I disagree. Carriker gets injured on what, the second play of the Rams game? So I think it's hard to say when he was in it didn't look good anyways because the only time he was actually in was the Saints game and we played incredible as a unit.

I don't think he gets the love he should. Especially with the improved depth and ability to rest I think he would have been a huge asset this year. Orakpo is our second best OLB, but I think the drop off in production will be greater on the DL with the loss of Carriker. On the one big run where Wilson had that nasty collision saving the touchdown, Golsten was swallowed up and that created the massive hole for the large gain. I am positive that it would have been a completely different play had 'Bane' been in there.

The defense should survive, but it's going to take some serious adjustment within our playbook. With Jackson and Wilson (and White) I think we're just going to have evaluate them on pass rushing, coverage, and run stopping, see if anyone is proficient at two of those three, and then scheme around the weak spot. Pass rushing I would rate as most important honestly, unless we want to switch where we create pressure from the outside to the middle with only 4 rushers. If we keep coming from the outside, we're going to need someone to compliment Kerrigan, or else it'll be 2010 all over again.

Thread title implies the redskins D wasn't already in bad shape with Both Carriker and Orakpo on the field.

Revised title: "How low can you go?"

It wasn't that bad off. The two weakest spots were safety and scheme adjustment. And our secondary played well week one. Week two was just a mess all around, and the injuries will make things more difficult, but we were a solid D prior to those injuries, and our depth might allow us to not fall as far as it looks like we will.

Time to go to the 4-3....

Lets play Bowen/Coefield , Jenkins, Carrigan and Wilson/Jackson on the D-line.

Riley, Fletcher and Keenan Robinson at LB

This puts Carrigan's hand in the dirt every play which he is more comfortable with. And this puts Chris Wilson and Rob Jackson back in their original positions rushing the passer. They are liabilities in coverage, so we need to put our most athletic linebacker on the field in Robinson. This solves the pass rush issue and maximizes our talent on the roster!

BTW.. Chris Wilson is going to tear it up! Mark my words!! He is a nightmare on the edge and will force QBs up in the pocket toward Carrigan and the interior. I'm still very encouraged.

Ebb and flow of FA. We beefed up the offense through the draft and FA at the expense of our defense. Weve scored more and have more average yards by a mile. Our offense has improved dramatically. We did the opposite last year and our Defense improved at the cost

of offense. We are not deep at all in our secondary let alone talented.

I'm not saying directly that carriker/orakpo didn't look good, the unit as a whole doesn't look real good and that neither player has really stuck out so far. Do I think that there will be a drop off in talent, yes, but with our depth I don't think that it will be a significant drop off. The point is that players get hurt and now it's time for other guys to step up.

It might be the homer in me but I think our Defense will be ok. Rob Jackson is a speed rusher like Chris Wilson and they can certainly bring the rush, its the coverage side I'm worried about at OLB.

Jarvis Jenkins is not yet at the level he was before his injury but I'm confident he can hold up at DE especially against the run. I'm sure Golston can help out with rotation and hopefully get Worthington in the mix to keep Jarvis fresh.

Alot of people is writing our D off because of Carriker and Orakpo's injuries but my gut is telling me that we will be alright.

The secondary on the other hand...

Archived