Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Cooley’s options could include a return to the Redskins

I love Chris Cooley, and all that he has done for the Skins.

However, with age and injuries over the past few season, Cooley has been a shadow of his former-self. He has lost a step, and with $6 million in cap hit, I can see why the Skins cut ties.

A sad day in my opionion to be a Redskins fan. I've been a diehard Skins fan for 40 + years and I don't believe I've ever uttered those words. Even when the Skins were down, way down did I ever say it's a sad, sad day to be a Redskins fan. Thanks for all the memories chris c.

Really? Like you didn't see this coming? A sad day for me was when Taylor was stolen from the Skins, his family and life. Cooley is just a football player, albeit one we all admired, but he made some mad money and he will go on. I think you should consider that. It is not a permanent job, it is just a job. Him leaving is not life or death. Again as always, JMO>FWIW.

Love Cooley but totally understand the move. It's a tough business.

It's clear he thinks the future clearly looks bright here -- that's what must be killing him the most.

Also, the Washington Post should fire Lavar the moment Cooley even hints he wants a job doing, you know, whatever it is Lavar does.

Cooley will be missed by a lot of fans who remember his good days. He was a real pro and did not complain during the losing seasons. If there is a way for him to return then I am all for it even though he would not be the starter. As for Lavar, whoever hired him at the Post should be released tomorrow if they can get Cooley. I bet after football Cooley will do broadcasting. It pays better.

I think we have a better chance of being refunded our 1st round picks we traded for Griff than to see Cooley come back in a blue and silver uniform. He may come back, he may not. As heartbroken as he sounded at that press conference, I expect to see a retirement notice here soon. With his colorful demeanor, a host of networks will probably be calling for him to hold a microphone.

Best of luck to you Chris. We love you!!!

Hail

Their conversation in my mind:

Coach: Well Chris, you did stay healthy.

Chris: I'm so glad, I'm ready to play.

Coach: We can't pay you that money as a back-up.

Chris: I'm a starter.

Coach: Fred is the starter, not you. We want you to stay but not for that money.

Chris: I want to stay but I'm not playing for minimum, I am starting caliber.

Coach: We'll release you to see your value, just give us first refusal.

Chris: Fine, but I want a press conference in case I don't come back.

Coach: That's the least I could do.

See you after week 1 so we don't have to guarantee anything.

I think he'll be back, but you never know who may offer him a job.

I wish, but being from NY, they were ALL OVER the Cooley talk today. Saying that the Giants and Jets should both be interested. I think there is going to substantial interest around the league for his services.

Never been a question of money? When our cap room is non-existent and we're facing a second penalty of 18 million next year? You don't think that makes his aging or lack of starting ability here all that more stand-out-ish? He wanted to start, whether here or elsewhere, but in the NFL. And the Redskins can't afford a backup at 4million.

Yeah, by that i meant we'd of re-structured and found a way to pay him and afford him. But he had to have worth to merit that. He didn't. If he could still preform in this O, to what they now expect, they'd of found a way.

Hail.

Their conversation in my mind:

Coach: Well Chris, you did stay healthy.

Chris: I'm so glad, I'm ready to play.

I hope he comes back I really do

Coach: We can't pay you that money as a back-up.

Chris: I'm a starter.

Coach: Fred is the starter, not you. We want you to stay but not for that money.

Chris: I want to stay but I'm not playing for minimum, I am starting caliber.

Coach: We'll release you to see your value, just give us first refusal.

Chris: Fine, but I want a press conference in case I don't come back.

Coach: That's the least I could do.

See you after week 1 so we don't have to guarantee anything.

I think he'll be back, but you never know who may offer him a job.

---------- Post added August-29th-2012 at 08:12 AM ----------

I hope he comes back I really do he is a true skin. if he does not come back he will be missed greatly

There is just something wrong with thinking about a Redskins team that doesn't have Cooley on it.

I know it's hard to do, but we went through this with Monk going to the Jets, Sanders to the Falcons and Clark to the Cardinals. Riggins, Mann, Manley (Cards and Bucs), Butz, etc. You greive, you get over it, you move on. I'm sad that he isn't on the roster. I wanted one more year for him, but for the team, I'm ready to take the next step. Go back and research all the Cooley thread, you'll see where Califan007 and myself defended Cooley making the team until our fingers hurt from typing. It's time.

By all accounts Cali, not to the requirements of what they now want to fully do with this scheme. I think their set to go all in, and fully open this up for better or worse and let the young guys grow with it. A guy with no speed now, through no fault of his own, is more or less a redundant guy out there for us in this O.

Hail.

Well, I'm not sure if this is correct or not... but if it is correct, then Lavar Arrington is 100% right that they mistreated him. His speed not being top-flight was common knowledge early in the offseason... if he wasn't a realistic contributor, he should have been released early in the offseason. You don't hold onto a respected veteran in the same fashion you hold onto a guy like Jonathan Crompton as some sort of extreme insurance policy.

But like I said, I'm not sure if the premise of your argument is correct.

It's never been a question of money.

It's always been a question of an ageing, injury hit guy no longer being able to do what this scheme asks of him. Specifically in terms of speed and athleticism. If he could still contribute, he wouldn't be gone, regardless of salary.

Hail.

Exactly!! Cooley's not coming back.. i remember before last season the Ravens let go of Mason and Heap. They also said "a return to the team is possible", but it didn't occur, and it won't occur with Cooley.

It's never been a question of money.

It's always been a question of an ageing, injury hit guy no longer being able to do what this scheme asks of him. Specifically in terms of speed and athleticism. If he could still contribute, he wouldn't be gone, regardless of salary.

Hail.

Well, yes, it is a question of money. Chris has been injured the past two years, couple that with his age and he is definitely slowed down and is past his prime. I agree if he could still play at the level the staff wants they'd not have a problem paying him the money. However, he was owed 3.8 mil this year, the Skins didn't want to pay him that kind of money to be a back up. So, yes, it's absolutely about the money,..or I should say it factors in heavily.

If he only wants to be a starter I don't see any way he comes back.

I'm not sure I believe Shanahan's comment that Chris wanted to be a starter on this team. I mean, of course everyone wants to be a starter, but I think Chris would have wanted to contribute in anyway he could. Even if that meant diminished playing time and/or filling in at FB.

So with that said, after looking at possible other teams I could see Chris coming back at a lower salary to be a part of the team.

For a good update read the Washington Post column by UnWise Mike today entitled "Cooley’s cut, and the fans bleed". It reveals that Cooley was very diplomatic on how he exited. I agree with Wise they could have let him know sooner than waiting this long to release him. This is the better column to read by UnWise Mike today- "Chris Cooley: The Redskin you could count on when you couldn’t count on the Redskins"

Archived