Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Cooley’s options could include a return to the Redskins

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/28/cooleys-options-could-include-a-return-to-the-redskins/

I don't realistically see him coming back, but one part of the article was a bit interesting:

Though it’s unclear whether the Redskins’ decision to cut Cooley was preceded by a request to reduce his base salary of $3.8 million, an important factor was absent from the normal take-a-pay-cut-or-take-a-hike protocol: Cooley has no agent.

His agent, Gary Wichard, died March 11, 2011, the day the player lockout started. NFLPA records still list Wichard as Cooley’s agent.

Shanahan did say that they didn't discuss money...whether or not that's true, I dunno. I tend to think it is. But still, Cooley has no agent? There's nobody for other teams to call right now besides him? lol..

It's never been a question of money.

It's always been a question of an ageing, injury hit guy no longer being able to do what this scheme asks of him. Specifically in terms of speed and athleticism. If he could still contribute, he wouldn't be gone, regardless of salary.

Hail.

Not quite.

Cooley CAN still contribute...but if he were a free agent brought in for vet min + incentives, there's a realistic chance he could still be on the team. He'd be seen like Donte Stallworth...a fill-in who can help you out temporarily while the rest of the team keeps gelling and growing.

Not quite.

Cooley CAN still contribute...but if he were a free agent brought in for vet min + incentives, there's a realistic chance he could still be on the team. He'd be seen like Donte Stallworth...a fill-n who can help you out temporarily while the rest of the team keeps gelling and growing.

Exactly. Plus with Niles Paul not really being impressive in the preseason and Davis 1 strike away, it wouldn't hurt to have some insurance.

Not quite.

Cooley CAN still contribute...but if he were a free agent brought in for vet min + incentives, there's a realistic chance he could still be on the team. He'd been seen like Donte Stallworth...a fill-n who can help you out temporarily while the rest of the team keeps gelling and growing.

By all accounts Cali, not to the requirements of what they now want to fully do with this scheme. I think their set to go all in, and fully open this up for better or worse and let the young guys grow with it. A guy with no speed now, through no fault of his own, is more or less a redundant guy out there for us in this O.

Hail.

We'd probably get hit with loss of more salary or draft picks from Goodell/Mara, for circumventing the release & sign honor code to save cap money.

lol

I'm still bitter about all that...

What are the formal rules about being released and coming back? Will it really save cap space or will Cooley count against the cap for his former salary regardless of any new contract?

By all accounts Cali, not to the requirements of what they now want to fully do with this scheme. I think their set to go all in, and fully open this up for better or worse and let the young guys grow with it. A guy with no speed now, through no fault of his own, is more or less a redundant guy out there for us in this O.

Hail.

There have already been numerous posts as to how this scheme can still effectively use guys who don't possess sub-4.5 speed but do possess good route running, good hands, good blocking and some veteran savvy, so I won't go into that again lol...there are numerous teams out there who could effectively use a player like Cooley if he came for vet min + incentives, regardless of what scheme they run. But he's not gonna go to anyone for that, not even the Skins. So I do think money played a role, as I think it still would have played a role even without the cap penalties. The salary structure was out of whack.

At any rate, I do believe that if--IF--Cooley indeed does not have an agent, then that lowered his chances even more to make the team than they already were. Cooley seemed to just throw all his eggs into the Redskins basket.

It'd be interesting to see happen, but I think it's unlikely. I don't think Cooley is going to resign with the Skins, unless an injury causes it, until the point comes where he resigns for a day to retire a skin.

Ultimately, I can't blame the skins FOR releasing him. I disagree with the choice from an organizational stand point, but I understand and can't blame them for it. I do blame them for how they went about the release if the near inevitability of it was as great as our insiders were suggesting all this time. I find it a sad mark on our organization, and a sad continuation of a poor organizational stance and mentality despite attempts to portray otherwise, with regards to its treatment of it's long time or homegrown players that they wait until the 4th game of the preseason, after having him play negligably as TE this preseason, to release him and then declare its to "allow him a chance to start somewhere". If it was as inevitable as it was made out to be they should've released him in the off season and given him a legitimate and more realistic shot at catching on with another team.

He's going to sign with the Cowboys due to Jason Witten's injury. I'm completely at a loss right now. Even Robert Griffin tweeted that he was Sad about this move!

I know a jobs-a-job and all, but that's one thing I could NEVER see happening after all the times Cooley's publicly stated his hatred for Dallas.

Hail.

I really doubt that he'd have had such a teary press conference if the move was about coming back at a reduced salary. I don't think we'll see him back (in uniform, at least).

I agree...and Shanahan was choking up as well at Cooley's presser, so both men pretty much know this is it.

I think Cooley's comment about this being his last day as a Redskin "for now" was more about possibly retiring as one somewhere down the road than it was returning to the team within the next two weeks...either that, or him literally staying true to his words and not playing for another team, with the idea that the Skins may call on him during the season if injuries arise (or Davis takes in a Cheech & Chong movie marathon lol)...

Archived