Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SOW| Can Santana Moss Be to RG3 What Steve Smith Was to Cam?

rd421

Just to clarify I am not saying Moss is as good or better than Smith, I am asking if he will have the same impact on Griffin that Smith had on Cam. There is a difference

I don't think most people read the article that are making those knee jerk posts.

My answer would be yes for one reason. In the time that we have had Moss we have had many different QB's and they have ALL relied on Moss to be a go to guy. For all the knocks against him he is a consistent target for this team. I think this will help RG3 during his rookie year.

I don't think most people read the article that are making those knee jerk posts.

My answer would be yes for one reason. In the time that we have had Moss we have had many different QB's and they have ALL relied on Moss to be a go to guy. For all the knocks against him he is a consistent target for this team. I think this will help RG3 during his rookie year.

Funny how that usually works out eh regarding people actually reading lol. Griffin definitely has more weapons than any redskins QB I can remember I really think getting Mosd in slot is going to help make him dangerous again.

Additionally, the younger Royal beard a closer resemblance to the 2005 Santana Moss than the 2011 Santana Moss.

I'm curious as to what exactly your thought process was on this one. 2011 was Santana Moss's worst statistical year of his career as a Redskin. It still compares favorably to any season Royal has had in this league. In the same number of games Moss caught 49 passes to Royal's 19. Averaged 12.7 yards to Royal's 8.2

In 2005 Moss averaged 17.7. That's over double what Royal averaged last season. If you combine his averages from 2010 and 2011 you barely surpass that. Moss' 9 TD's that season match Royal's entire career total.

So in my opinion, no, Royal does not more closely resemble 2005 Moss than 2011 Moss. He looks a lot like 2011 Moss but less effective.

Until last year with Cam Newton at QB (and Santana's injury), Steve Smith and Santana Moss were equally productive.

2001-2010

Smith

620 catches 8884 yards, 52 TDs, 14.3ypc

Moss

593 catches 8558 yards, 52 TDs, 14.4ypc

Smith missed an entire season due to injury. 2004.

Good point.

It's not about whether Moss is as good as Smith, but how much RGIII and Moss will work together, and how much Moss will help RGIII have a succesful rookie season.

Great call, I was a little thrown off in wk 3 when Hankerson was the #2. Personally I think the offense will be unstoppable w/ Moss in the slot. If Hank doesn't pan out then maybe Morgan or even Briscoe will fill in. We could employ Miss just like Sea Walker. I'll take Santana over any team's nickel or LB if we could scheme that one up.

Not sue if it is by design, but Hankerson didn't do much in pre-season.

Starting day, the top 3 WRs are Garcon, Morgan, and ' tana ...

It is no secret that the loss of Sean Taylor rocked this franchise to its core, but no two players were hit by the tragedy as hard as retired running back Clinton Portis and Moss, both of whom were teammates of Taylor while at the University of Miami.

Not for nothing, actually for nothing but did Moss play after Taylor arrived at Miami in 2001? I don't seem to think he did, but can't remember. I do know that Phillip Buchannon and Rocky McIntosh played while he was there as well as Brandon Merriweather going there.

---------- Post added August-28th-2012 at 10:04 PM ----------

I actually think Hank starts opposite of Garcon and Moss, Morgan alternate in the slot and some on the outside. JMO, as usual.

It is no secret that the loss of Sean Taylor rocked this franchise to its core, but no two players were hit by the tragedy as hard as retired running back Clinton Portis and Moss, both of whom were teammates of Taylor while at the University of Miami.

Not for nothing, actually for nothing but did Moss play after Taylor arrived at Miami in 2001? I don't seem to think he did, but can't remember. I do know that Phillip Buchannon and Rocky McIntosh played while he was there as well as Brandon Merriweather going there.

---------- Post added August-28th-2012 at 10:04 PM ----------

I actually think Hank starts opposite of Garcon and Moss, Morgan alternate in the slot and some on the outside. JMO, as usual.

These are all good possibilities and I bet that we will see Brisco in the redzone. He just has a knack for that as he led the Buc's receivers (all of them; at 21 years old) in TD's last year. We have a very good mix at wide reciever now. Who'd thunk it? HTTR :logo:

:confused::confused::confused:

I would hope it's by design.

v. Buffalo 1 recption 12 yards

v. Chicago 1 reception 11 yards

v. Indy 1 reception 3 yards

I don't see much of a threat emerging there. :confused::confused::confused:

Prior to last year he had 3 straight years of being healthy and averaged over 1,000 yards per season during that stretch. Every healthy year for him in DC was 1,000+ yards except for 2009, which was still over 900, and with the QB failing to get him the ball much of the time. Will he literally be as good this year as Steve Smith was last year? Doubtful. But will he rejuvinate his career despite getting up in years? I think it's very possible, and THAT is what this comparison is about.

:confused::confused::confused:

I would hope it's by design.

v. Buffalo 1 recption 12 yards

v. Chicago 1 reception 11 yards

v. Indy 1 reception 3 yards

I don't see much of a threat emerging there. :confused::confused::confused:

He's only been targeted 5 times so far in preseason, once in the 1st game, once in the 2nd, and 3 times in the 3rd, so he's 3 receptions on 5 targets. One of the missed passes last game was that botched bomb attempt, which, admittedly was on him for getting tied up with the safety, but those long bombs don't work all that often anyway so I don't assign much concern to it.

Can't remember the 5th target/2nd non-catch though.

Anyways, being targeted only 5 times in 3 games in the pre-season feels like design to me. For comparison, Moss has only been targeted 3 times, and has 2 receptions (one being a TD, but the point is still valid). Or for that matter, Fred Davis, who didn't even log a target in the 1st two pre-season games.

Yeah, I feel like it's by design. Nothing to be worried about.

I think it is more likely that RG3 will be to Santana Moss what Cam was to Steve Smith...a catalyst to a bounce back year. There is no way he will get the numbers Smith got last year, but Santana looked like he was on his way out after last year. I expect him to have a solid, rejuvenated year, around 900 yards, 70 receptions and 5 tds. The Redskins have way more talent at WR than the Panthers had, which doesn't take much.

In answer to the OP no.

I don't think Tana has ever been quite in the same category as Smith and right now in our offense Garçon will be the focal point of the passing game. Add in Davis being a much bigger part of the game panning than we saw in preseason and sharing the targets with Hankerson and Morgan and there is not going to be a huge statistical impact from Moss. But he will be an important part of our passing game running option routes, skinny posts and seam routes from that slot position. That dig route we run to Moss off play action is still money.

I'm kind of surprised no one has touched on this, but the REAL impact of Steve Smith on Cam Newton has nothing to do with what they were able to accomplish together on the field.

Newton's "knock" coming into the draft was that he was ****y and unlikable. Many say the same thing about Steve Smith... However, there are only a handful of players in this league (Ray Lewis, Drew Brees, James Harrison come to mind) who are respected by their peers like SS.

Smith has stood behind Newton since Day 1 and essentially "allowed" him to become the leader of that franchise. Imagine the confidence a 22-year-old gets when the undisputed captain stands up and goes "Our new draft pick is outstanding" last summer.

Unfortunately, Moss has never been a vocal leader like SS and definitely will not have the same impact on Griffin's career initially. From an ability standpoint- I've always compared these two WRs, but judging from what we saw in the preseason I think Moss may have lost the explosiveness that made him so deadly. He will still shred LBs in the slot though.

Good point.

It's not about whether Moss is as good as Smith, but how much RGIII and Moss will work together, and how much Moss will help RGIII have a succesful rookie season.

Exactly, not sure why everyone is comparing or disputing whether or not Moss is as good as Steve Smith, because while both small WR's they both play a completely different game.

Steve Smith is that physical play-making WR that will go up and grab it out of the air and make a play, while Moss is a reliable quick WR who relies on his speed, quickness and route running to find ways to get open.

You can compare all you want and it won't be apples to apples for a number of reasons (system, complementing WR's, QB's, etc.) but you can't deny that Moss has produced about the same as Smith has in his career for a reason, he's a good WR!

Now finally seeing Moss in the slot, where at this point in his career he's best suited, I feel he should thrive and have a come back season and be a reliable go-to guy for RG3 (not saying #1 target for we've seen Garcon should be that) and really help our offense become dynamic. It'll be fun to watch! HTTR

Oh for sure, but what's your take on Hank? All reports were that he was healthy and solid in camp. Which made sense since he was the #2. But his preseason play didn't really speak to that effect. Nor did Davis's play but what do you? Is Hank ready?

Oh for sure, but what's your take on Hank? All reports were that he was healthy and solid in camp. Which made sense since he was the #2. But his preseason play didn't really speak to that effect. Nor did Davis's play but what do you? Is Hank ready?

We ran a lot of 3 TE sets preseason and everyone who wasn't a #1 got limited looks. Morgan got more looks because he also had time to play with Cousins. Hankerson should be our #2.

Anywho, in response to the thread question. No, maybe Garcon can have a Steve Smith like season, thats more likely.

Archived