Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SOW| Can Santana Moss Be to RG3 What Steve Smith Was to Cam?

rd421

tana-piece.jpg

The story of the 2012 Washington Redskins to this point has been new talent acquisition.

When Bruce Allen confirmed that the Redskins had traded with the St Louis Rams for the 2nd overall pick in the draft, the attention of Redskins nation immediately turned to surrounding that pick with a supporting cast that could build the explosive offense that Mike and Kyle Shanahan coveted.

Pierre Garcon and Josh Morgan have been touted as the saviors of the Wide Receiver unit in DC, but the key to the Redskins offensive success in 2012 may have been on the roster all along.

After a rough 2011 season, which included missing significant time due to injury, Santana Moss very well could have been on his way out in DC. Moss appeared to have lost a step last year; worse than that, he seemed to have lost the fire that made him the Redskins most electrifying playmaker for the better part of a decade.

It is no secret that the loss of Sean Taylor rocked this franchise to its core, but no two players were hit by the tragedy as hard as retired running back Clinton Portis and Moss, both of whom were teammates of Taylor while at the University of Miami.

During his retirement press conference last Thursday, Portis admitted that Sean’s passing affected his passion for the game. No one could blame Moss if Taylor’s death has had a similar affect on his career.

To be completely transparent, when news broke that former Mike Shanahan receiver Eddie Royal was having dinner with the Redskins brass at Morton’s, I thought Moss was as good as gone. Santana carried a pretty hefty cap number, and the Redskins had just lost close to $40 million in cap space. Additionally, the younger Royal beard a closer resemblance to the 2005 Santana Moss than the 2011 Santana Moss.

Surprisingly, Royal left Morton’s without agreeing to a deal with the Redskins (something that generally does not happen) and chose to sign with the San Diego Chargers. This opened the door for Santana to do what he has done his entire career – prove everyone wrong.

Moss reported to OTA’s in what Mike Shanahan called “excellent shape”, weighing 15 pounds lighter than he did last year. He immediately impressed coaches with his regained burst and agility that made him a playmaker early in his career.

“I think Santana new that he had to lose a little weight to come back and play at a certain level to help the team win, and that’s what he did” Shanahan told reporters during training camp “he looks like a different guy out there”

The question here is if the 2012 Moss will return to the Moss of old on game day, not just during practice.

I am not going to sit here and blow smoke up your backside, pretending that Pierre Garcon isn’t going to be the first option – he absolutely will. But with the addition of Pierre, the emergence of Leonard Hankerson as a threat and Santana’s move to more of a slot role, he very well could be in line for a huge year.

With teams spending their time game planning for other receivers, Moss will finally get what he has been begging for since 2005?

Continue Reading Here

nice writeup and i really hope santana has a good year but honestly, i never believed santana was as good as a receiver as steve smith. he doesn't have the ability to go up and grab a ball from two defenders like steve smith does. steve smith plays like he's 6'3, 220.

that said, i believe there is a good chance that santana will have a good connection with RG3 and continue to shine this year

nice writeup and i really hope santana has a good year but honestly, i never believed santana was as good as a receiver as steve smith. he doesn't have the ability to go up and grab a ball from two defenders like steve smith does. steve smith plays like he's 6'3, 220.

that said, i believe there is a good chance that santana will have a good connection with RG3 and continue to shine this year

Yeah, I agree this is comparing oranges and apples. Steve Smith is a one receiver that stills breaks double coverage. Garcon would have been the better comparison in my opinion.

It will be interesting. I haven't seen anything out of Hankerson. Is he actually a threat? I would put Armstrong higher on my list as a threat than Hankerson.

Great call, I was a little thrown off in wk 3 when Hankerson was the #2. Personally I think the offense will be unstoppable w/ Moss in the slot. If Hank doesn't pan out then maybe Morgan or even Briscoe will fill in. We could employ Miss just like Sea Walker. I'll take Santana over any team's nickel or LB if we could scheme that one up.

I get what you mean, although I don't think that's the best example you could have chosen to make your case. Only one defender there.

And I'll agree that Steve Smith is better in those types of situations. But Moss can do it, and has done it.

I couldn't find a video where he beats two defenders but I have seen him go up like that on multiple occasions and rip the ball away from two defenders.

I don't think Santana is any where near as fast as he once was. This may be his last year anyway. I wished we could have seen what Banks was like in the slot with the first teamers in Preseason. I think there isn't any comparison between Moss and Smith. I think Steve Smith has a deeper desire at this point than Moss. IMHO.......

Archived