Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2012 Fantasy Football Thread

MattFancy

I always do one warm-up draft for my serious leagues, except this time I forgot I wanted to draft this morning. :doh

Here is the results:

Stafford

Roddy White

Maclin

Stevie Johnson

Ray Rice

Doug Martin

Vernon Davis

Bench:

Big Ben

Shonn Greene (Bout to cut him)

Lance Moore

Jermaine Gresham

Laurent Robinson

David Akers - K

DEF: Pats and Feagles (Bout to drop one and get my skins)

I've been doing a few mock drafts for the 12-team league I run with a bunch of friends. Standard scoring. Here's the team I like best and will hope to imitate come draft-time (next Sunday).

QB: Stafford

WR: Fitzgerald, M. Wallace

RB: Doug Martin, Reggie Bush

TE: Vernon Davis

WR/RB: DeAngello Williams or Santonio Holmes

K: John Kasay

DST: Seattle

BN: RGIII, James Starks, Kyle Rudolph, Alshon Jeffery, Doug Baldin

No. To me an elite RB > elite QB. The difference in points between elite RBs and solid RBs is much more drastic compared to the point difference between elite QBs and solid QBs.

I would keep Rice over Brees. I would keep Rice, Foster, & McCoy over any QB this year.

Agreed. A starting RB is a rarer commodity these days, and you have to start 2 of them, so they merit early attention.

Since none of you are in my leagues, here's some players who i think are good later-round options:

Redman, RB, Pitt - going as late as 9th round in a lot of leagues, Benson is worth a late rounder since he was picked up by GB, also SD's back-up RB due to Matthews, and hardesty of CLE since Richardson is already dinged up slightly and Cleveland is cursed with no. 1 picks

Matt Ryan or Matt Schaub, can be had 7th-10th in most

Garcon, Moore (now the 2nd WR in NO), Nate Washington can all be had 10th or later right now. Meachem is likely #1 in SD and is going low, VJax is being slept on in TB.

Detroit's kicker can be had in one of the very last rounds

Skins D is going to be better than non-Skins fans think and can be had with your very last pick

I too do not like to draft before at least the 3rd week of preseasons games has passed

I think the best strategy as far as looking at draft site player rankings is to simply use the one that your league will use to draft since people will mostly go off of that come draft time. So if your league uses yahoo, use their ranking, if your league uses ESPN, then use theirs.

One league did theirs early, it's free and just for fun, here's what I got:

QB: RG3, Matt Ryan

HB: MJD, McFadden, Gore, Ryan Williams

WR: Wallace, Meachem, Wayne, Nate Washington, Heyward-Bey

TE: Gronkowski

D: Baltimore

K: Hanson

One league did theirs early, it's free and just for fun, here's what I got:

QB: RG3, Matt Ryan

HB: MJD, McFadden, Gore, Ryan Williams

WR: Wallace, Meachem, Wayne, Nate Washington, Heyward-Bey

TE: Gronkowski

D: Baltimore

K: Hanson

Wow thats a pretty sick lineup, had to be a 10 team league right? I enjoyed your insight on some sleepers too, def agree about Lance Moore. Who's Mathews' backup in SD? Definitely want to try and snag him as my 3rd or 4th RB.

To add to elkabong's sleepers I have a few of my own:

Peyton Hillis, RB: Charles has never really been the "main" guy in KC and has never scored more than 7 rushing TDs in a season. Hillis will more than likely be their goal line back and vulture some TDs. Plus with Charles coming off ACL surgery, there's no telling how ready he is. You can easily get Hillis in the 9th or 10th rounds.

Titus Young, WR: maybe not really a sleeper, but someone you can get in the later rounds that has a ton of potential. Playing across from Megatron will do nothing but help him. Doesn't hurt that the Lions are pass happy either.

Greg Little, WR: sure he plays for the Browns, but someone has to catch passes there. He had 30 catches in his last 7 games last year. Would be a nice WR4 or WR5 in a PPR league with a chance to be a WR3.

Jared Cook, TE: if you're looking for the next breakout TE, here he is. His last 3 games last year: 21rec for 335yds.

---------- Post added August-14th-2012 at 10:26 AM ----------

Nice Matt, i think Cutler is gonna have a really good year. Thats a nice team

Thanks man!

I'm not entirely sold on Cutler being a QB1 this year, but he certainly has top 10 potential with Marshall and Jeffery at WR now.

I guess it would depend on how your league scores. We are a league that emphasizes yardage from the RBs and WRs. Say you start Gore and Foster. Gore has 54 yards and 1 TD and Foster has 100 yards and 1 TD. We take the total yardage (154 and divide by 18) and that gives you 8 points, plus the 2 TDs get you 10 points from your RBs. Each position gets it whole number (QB, WRs/TEs, K) and we get a possible score of say, 40. Then I use the oppositions defense to take points away. So say I score 40, his defense takes away 9 points (Ints, fumbles, sacks, etc) my final score for that week is 31.

We get actual game scores with the formula that I use. I've noticed in our league within the last few years, that we tend to follow the trends in the NFL. In order to win my league you need exceptional QB and WR play. That gets you the most points. When we were doing this in the 90s, RBs were at a premium.

I guess it would depend on how your league scores. We are a league that emphasizes yardage from the RBs and WRs. Say you start Gore and Foster. Gore has 54 yards and 1 TD and Foster has 100 yards and 1 TD. We take the total yardage (154 and divide by 18) and that gives you 8 points, plus the 2 TDs get you 10 points from your RBs. Each position gets it whole number (QB, WRs/TEs, K) and we get a possible score of say, 40. Then I use the oppositions defense to take points away. So say I score 40, his defense takes away 9 points (Ints, fumbles, sacks, etc) my final score for that week is 31.

We get actual game scores with the formula that I use. I've noticed in our league within the last few years, that we tend to follow the trends in the NFL. In order to win my league you need exceptional QB and WR play. That gets you the most points. When we were doing this in the 90s, RBs were at a premium.

Hmm, thats different. Never heard of that before.

Hmm, thats different. Never heard of that before.

Here's an example of one of my teams lineups vs my other teams lineups:

Brees 350 yds 3 TDs (1 pt for every 50 yards over 250 and 3 pts per TD pass)= 12pts (he can get pts for rusning yards, rushing TDs and 2 pt conversion- rushing only)

S Jackson 90 yds rushing 1 TD

Helu 40 yds 0 TD (90 + 46 136 divided by 18) = 8 pts (7 for yardage 1 for TD- can get points for receiving TD, 2 pt conversions rushing or receiving)

Bowe 102 yds 1 TD

Colsten 100 yds 1 TD

F Davis 50 yds 0 TD (252 divided by 18) = 16 (14 for yardage and 2 TD- can get pts for 2 pt conversion)

Gostkowski 5 XP 1 FG = 8 pts

Mike Shanahan- 1 pt for coach winning

Thats 45 total offensive points

San Deigo Defense 4 sacks (-4), 1 INT (-2), 1 Fumble rec (-2) 1 safety (-2) and 0 shuout (-1)= -10

So,

Say the other teams offense put up 40 (I don't feel like coming up with another lineup and stats, but you get the drift above) and their defense scored -8

I would take the 45 from Brees team and minus 8 (from team #2 above) for a final score of 37

Team 2 scored 40 and Brees defense took away 10 for a final score of 30.

Final score- Brees team 37 Team Two 30. 37-30

We get real scores. Been doing this for 22 years. I found it in a magazine. Very rarely, like in the NFL does a team score above 50.

I would take

Alright so first trade question of the year: Would I be giving up too much if I offered Nicks and Locker for RG3 and Austin?

Heck no. Take that immediately.

RG3 has more weapons than Locker and you know wants Dez starts getting going, Romo sits to pee will turn back to his original butt-buddy. Take it. :2cents:

How are you guys viewing Stevan Ridley this year?? His ADP is right around 70--but thats hard to judge since leagues could be 8, 10, 12 or 14 teams.

---------- Post added August-14th-2012 at 01:00 PM ----------

Heck no. Take that immediately.

RG3 has more weapons than Locker and you know wants Dez starts getting going, Romo sits to pee will turn back to his original butt-buddy. Take it. :2cents:

Kenny Britt, Kenny Wright, Nate Washington, Jared Cook, Chris Johnson -- not sure the Redskins have more weapons than them. But I would take RG3 over Locker simply because he is starting and won't be benched this year, not to mention higher upside.

Here's an example of one of my teams lineups vs my other teams lineups:

Brees 350 yds 3 TDs (1 pt for every 50 yards over 250 and 3 pts per TD pass)= 12pts (he can get pts for rusning yards, rushing TDs and 2 pt conversion- rushing only)

S Jackson 90 yds rushing 1 TD

Helu 40 yds 0 TD (90 + 46 136 divided by 18) = 8 pts (7 for yardage 1 for TD- can get points for receiving TD, 2 pt conversions rushing or receiving)

Bowe 102 yds 1 TD

Colsten 100 yds 1 TD

F Davis 50 yds 0 TD (252 divided by 18) = 16 (14 for yardage and 2 TD- can get pts for 2 pt conversion)

Gostkowski 5 XP 1 FG = 8 pts

Mike Shanahan- 1 pt for coach winning

Thats 45 total offensive points

San Deigo Defense 4 sacks (-4), 1 INT (-2), 1 Fumble rec (-2) 1 safety (-2) and 0 shuout (-1)= -10

So,

Say the other teams offense put up 40 (I don't feel like coming up with another lineup and stats, but you get the drift above) and their defense scored -8

I would take the 45 from Brees team and minus 8 (from team #2 above) for a final score of 37

Team 2 scored 40 and Brees defense took away 10 for a final score of 30.

Final score- Brees team 37 Team Two 30. 37-30

We get real scores. Been doing this for 22 years. I found it in a magazine. Very rarely, like in the NFL does a team score above 50.

I would take

So r you on a site that does all that for you? Or do you use a spreadsheet?

---------- Post added August-14th-2012 at 01:08 PM ----------

Alright so first trade question of the year: Would I be giving up too much if I offered Nicks and Locker for RG3 and Austin?

IMO

I like Nicks a lot more than Austin. But it looks pretty fair to me.

Another pre-draft trade question:

The league is a 12 team, 4-division, non-PPR keeper league.

We can keep up to two keepers, and those would supplement rounds 1 & 2. These keeper rounds are NOT snaked.

With my "1st" pick/keeper, I'm keeping Ray Rice. With my second, Darren McFadden. I'm not very high on McFadden and have considered dropping him for a second round pick (pick #3 in the second round).

A dude proposed a trade to me. He would like McFadden in exchange for his 2nd round pick (pick #10 in the second round...3rd round and onward starts snaking) and another pick.

If I were to accept this, what would be fair? I was thinking for McFadden, I would get his 2nd round in addition to his 3rd round (so I'd have two 3rd round picks). To keep an even 16 draft picks, I would trade him a later round pick.

What would be fair compensation to me for this trade? Or, should I not do it at all?

Thanks for the responses. I'm seeing both sides to this, tough decision. FWIW, the keepers (as of now) are (in no particular order):

Drew Brees

Chris Johnson

Calvin Johnson

Michael Vick

Ray Rice

McFadden

MJD

Cam Newton

Matt Forte

Larry Fitzgerald

LeSean McCoy

Adrian Peterson

Aaron Rodgers

Arian Foster

Jimmy Graham

Tom Brady

I think I'd keep McFadden. He's usually going in the 1st so you'd essential have 2 1st round picks.

McFadden is really good...when healthy easily a top 5 back. With Ray Rice as your RB1, it's worth taking a "risk" on an injury prone stud like him. I'd pick up a reliable back sooner than later to fill in for a few games that he may miss--and you could always snag the healthy Cedric Benson later on.

McFadden is really good...when healthy easily a top 5 back. With Ray Rice as your RB1, it's worth taking a "risk" on an injury prone stud like him. I'd pick up a reliable back sooner than later to fill in for a few games that he may miss--and you could always snag the healthy Cedric Benson later on.

There's definitely risk involved with McFadden, I had him last year! But just the potential of having 2 top 5 RBs is worth the risk IMO. You'll have a leg up on the rest of the league at RB and can focus on QB and WR instead.

Archived