Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official Redskins Preseason Overlooked Secondary Battle Until Death Thread

TSO

Ok, bump for the 2nd (massive) update. If GHH is the only one reading this my keyboard is going to pay!

Great read here TSO. I read your first write-up in the compton thread the other day and GHH is right that it deserved it's own thread. I like the fact that you expounded on it more here.

I don't have the football savvy that you have when it comes to evaluating talent, but the question I have is: How does Barnes compare to Carlos Rogers or S. Springs as a cover corner? Everyone considered those two to be shut-down corners. Does Barnes have the same talent, or does he just have the skill set to play well on the outside in a zone?

Again, thanks for the great info. I feel much better about our secondary this week after just one scrimmage.

Hail

Great read here TSO. I read your first write-up in the compton thread the other day and GHH is right that it deserved it's own thread. I like the fact that you expounded on it more here.

I don't have the football savvy that you have when it comes to evaluating talent, but the question I have is: How does Barnes compare to Carlos Rogers or S. Springs as a cover corner? Everyone considered those two to be shut-down corners. Does Barnes have the same talent, or does he just have the skill set to play well on the outside in a zone?

Again, thanks for the great info. I feel much better about our secondary this week after just one scrimmage.

Hail

It's waaaay too early with waaay too little of a sample size to honestly compare Barnes to those two. :)

I think both Springs and Rogers had/have more God-given talent, though... Barnes isn't built like those guys are. That's not to say his size isn't good enough, but there's a reason why those guys were higher draft picks.

I can say that in the last game he showed more awareness of where the ball was in the air than Rogers the majority of his time here, lol.

'K, two games in ...... Observations:

If Cedric Griffin makes this team, then the corner situation is even worse than it first appears. He'll get embarrassed out there at regular season pace.

What is it with NOT being able to hold onto INT's with this team? Josh Wilson the latest with a sure fire pick-drop. If this D doesn't become a play-making D, and start turning it over and helping the O, it's gona' be a LONG year for RGIII.

If Hall dedicated himself to his craft as freely as he runs his mouth, he'd be a HECK of a corner. As it is, since he's ceased being a play-making corner over the past year or so, he's not much of anything out there. Seeing him totally whiff on a tackle for a big gain, AGAIN, in pre-season said it all about him. Sadly, by default, he'll start opposite Wilson.

Crawford is manic. A total pocket rocket that just has a nose for the football. This kids a keeper, and will, to quote the Great Man, be a 'core Redskin' for years to come.

Safety's still pretty much up in the air, though I'd still bet on Jackson and Merriweather being the starters. And on that, here's praying Merriweathers MRI is not serious tomorrow. I'd honestly rather Orakpo's MRI throw something up and lose him for a spell than Merriweather given our safety situation. And hopefully Gomes injury isn't too serious as well. The last thing the safety's need is loosing those two guys.

Not much to say on everyone else as we need to see more of them the next two games. Save to say not many have covered themselves in glory thus far out on the field in the secondary.

As we currently stand, I shudder to think what damage Brees and co will do back there on opening day.

Hail.

We have issues in our secondary. Josh Wilson is solid and Hall is, well Hall (will make some big plays and give up some). Behind these guys we have bunch of guys of whom Barnes is probably the best right now if we play him outside and Crawford has looked like a guy who can develop. The rest - meh.

Our secondary is going to need a lot of pressure on the QB because if we cant move the QB off his spot and better get some sacks there are going to be some long days ahead against the pass. You can say that about most teams in the NFL to be fair, but its especially true for us IMO.

Did Barnes play tonight? I thought he played well on the outside last week. He missed a couple of int chances, but was around the ball and used his length well. I didn't notice today but I did see a lot of Griffin getting torched. I'm hoping its a case of Shanny giving one guy extensive work one week, then flip flopping the nest.

---------- Post added August-19th-2012 at 08:05 AM ----------

I'm not optimistic about Merriweather. He was having a real hard time on that knee. It's too bad cause i think he was going to rebound and cause some turnovers for us. I like Tanard also and this is a good opportunity for him. That being said, he's better at free safety and Brandon was playing SS.

I don't think I really need to make an update when it comes to C. Griffin. Just awful. I'll be taking a closer look at Barnes and the rest of the guys though and I'll let you all know what I see soon... but, for now, take solace in GHH's observations as they're definitely solid. :)

I was surprised we didn't get much pressure on Cutler last night, which could of helped some. I guess the Bears OL has improved dramatically. Griffin was getting beat badly. Any news if we are going to bump anyone up? I keep hearing Barnes, Crawford etc...

I was surprised we didn't get much pressure on Cutler last night, which could of helped some. I guess the Bears OL has improved dramatically. Griffin was getting beat badly. Any news if we are going to bump anyone up? I keep hearing Barnes, Crawford etc...

Yeah... my God does the Bears Oline look like a completely different unit or what? It's really amazing what time gelling will do for an Oline. Those guys were just awful last few seasons. That's why I actually like our Oline and what they'll be able to do as they grow together. The only clear need I see on our Oline is RT and Shanahan knows that (considering the solid sources that have stated we wanted Eric Winston but the cap penalty ruined it for us)... so once we address that (in all likelihood) next offseason, I see an Oline that is just going to take off when guys like Gettis, Compton and Leribeus find their places as well.

Yeah... my God does the Bears Oline look like a completely different unit or what? It's really amazing what time gelling will do for an Oline. Those guys were just awful last few seasons. That's why I actually like our Oline and what they'll be able to do as they grow together.
But to be fair they didn't just gel they added the right pieces like Gabe Carimi. (some others fell into their laps like our Edwin Williams)
so once we address that (in all likelihood) next offseason, I see an Oline that is just going to take off when guys like Gettis, Compton and Leribeus find their places as well.
Hopefully there is an answer at RT this season and I think Willie Smith could be that guy. It would be ashame to amass all this talent and be held back by the OL.

---------- Post added August-19th-2012 at 04:35 PM ----------

Cedric Griffin all but proved that he can't play in our scheme.

Imo replace Griffin with Hall/Wilson and the outcomes are different.

But to be fair they didn't just gel they added the right pieces like Gabe Carimi. (some others fell into their laps like our Edwin Williams)

Hopefully their is an answer at RT this season and I think Willie Smith could be that guy. It would be ashame to amass all this talent and be held back by the OL.

Ahhh, I didn't know they added Gabe. Edwin has been on their team though, no? Still, only one true addition and the rest of their Oline just seems worlds better. In my mind, that's mostly due to time together more than anything else.

And about Willie Smith... I can't wrap my head around what happened with him. Why is he so behind in camp? He looked good at times last year starting against some good competition, I don't get it.

Oh, and one last thing about the Oline before the thread gets derailed even further, lol... is Adam Gettis a joy to watch or what? I swear, football isn't comedy but watching him is hilarious (and I don't mean that in a bad way). People should just watch him play for a while instead of watching the ball. He flies around wildly. There was one play with 6:39 on the clock in the 1st Quarter that he just makes a hit at the end for no reason . :ols:

Happy Eid, by the way! :)

---------- Post added August-19th-2012 at 02:43 PM ----------

[/color]Cedric Griffin all but proved that he can't play in our scheme.

Yeah, I think it's a shame we might not be able to actually see how Hall would do in the slot for a year because of Griffin. It's looking more and more like our plans about our nickel package are going to be scrapped entirely unless either Barnes takes hold of the job or some how Griffin goes off the next few weeks. The latter just seems impossible right now.

Ahhh, I didn't know they added Gabe. Edwin has been on their team though, no? Still, only one true addition and the rest of their Oline just seems worlds better. In my mind, that's mostly due to time together more than anything else.
Yeah, Edwin had been on the team but they stumbled upon him towards the end of the season due to injury and he wound up as their highest rated OL.

And while Carimi might only be one 'true' addition its the type of addition that has a ripple effect along the OL.

One person on an OL that doesn't require help is a huge help for the other schlubs.

I guess were gonna disagree on this one, no matter how long the previous pieces of that OL played together the end result would never be good.

Jay and the playcalling would just get used to their level of suck.

Jay's ability to play with utter chaos around him is very underrated imo.

And about Willie Smith... I can't wrap my head around what happened with him. Why is he so behind in camp? He looked good at times last year starting against some good competition, I don't get it.
I was jotting down notes during last nights game, that I will go over again.

But, per my notes and maybe I missed something but Willie Smith was the best OL on either unit.

His worst play was giving up a little ground on a positive run he didn't give up a sack, a pressure or get pushed back to the point that it had a negative impact on a run.

Happy Eid, by the way!
Que? Thanks? not sure what Eid is...
Yeah, I think it's a shame we might not be able to actually see how Hall would do in the slot for a year because of Griffin. It's looking more and more like our plans about our nickel package are going to be scrapped entirely unless either Barnes takes hold of the job or some how Griffin goes off the next few weeks. The latter just seems impossible right now.
I'm not sure though.

Barnes imo has far more potential as an outside CB then an inside corner.

And Crawdog is on the come; dude is killin it in the preseason games.

Last night he broke up a pass and got 2 blitz pressures/hits coming in off the slot.

*also in a real game against Marshall they would probably scheme more, maybe give him bracket or banjo coverage if not play man-under with safety help to his side of the field.

Yeah, Edwin had been on the team but they stumbled upon him towards the end of the season due to injury and he wound up as their highest rated OL.

And while Carimi might only be one 'true' addition its the type of addition that has a ripple effect along the OL.

One person on an OL that doesn't require help is a huge help for the other schlubs.

I guess were gonna disagree on this one, no matter how long the previous pieces of that OL played together the end result would never be good.

Jay and the playcalling would just get used to their level of suck.

Jay's ability to play with utter chaos around him is very underrated imo.

Nah, we're not really in disagreement... I didn't know Edwin came on late last season and I agree one addition to the Oline can make a big difference. I just was shocked to see just how well they looked after watching how awful they've been. :)

And, yeah, I even think Jay is underrated in many ways, not just that one.

I was jotting down notes during last nights game, that I will go over again.

But, per my notes and maybe I missed something but Willie Smith was the best OL on either unit.

His worst play was giving up a little ground on a positive run he didn't give up a sack, a pressure or get pushed back to the point that it had a negative impact on a run.

Hmm... interesting, I didn't pay attention to him at all. I usually just watch the ball the first go around. I'll be sure to notice now, thanks!

Que? Thanks? not sure what Eid is...

Check your pm. :)

I'm not sure though.

Barnes imo has far more potential as an outside CB then an inside corner.

And Crawdog is on the come; dude is killin it in the preseason games.

Last night he broke up a pass and got 2 blitz pressures/hits coming in off the slot.

*also in a real game against Marshall they would probably scheme more, maybe give him bracket or banjo coverage if not play man-under with safety help to his side of the field.

Agreed on everything here. I just hope Barnes takes a hold of the job with absolutely no doubt left in anyone's mind he deserves it, ya know? I don't want it to be because Grifin looks so bad more than him just taking it over. So far, Barnes is clearly doing a better job but he's playing against weaker opponents.

I just was shocked to see just how well they looked after watching how awful they've been.
One huge factor that we didn't mention was addition by subtraction.

Mike Martz and his deep drop passing certainly didn't make it easy on the OL, so there is that.

I just hope Barnes takes a hold of the job with absolutely no doubt left in anyone's mind he deserves it, ya know?
;) Inshallah
I don't want it to be because Grifin looks so bad more than him just taking it over.
I assumed they Griffin was just here as a camp body, just a guy.

One huge factor that we didn't mention was addition by subtraction.

Mike Martz and his deep drop passing certainly didn't make it easy on the OL, so there is that.

;) Inshallah

I assumed they Griffin was just here as a camp body, just a guy.

lol, inshallah ("God willing" for those of you who are like "whaaa!?!").

I don't know about Griffin, though... they've played him as the top guy behind Hall and Wilson all camp. Tough to call that a "camp body", but he's played like one, that's for sure, lol.

Cedric Griffin all but proved that he can't play in our scheme.

So who do you like outside Griffin, after Hall and Wilson?

Do you think Barnes or Crawford. Thats all I can think. Do we just give crawford a chance, or are they going to bump someone up to see in preseason?

---------- Post added August-19th-2012 at 08:12 PM ----------

Yeah... my God does the Bears Oline look like a completely different unit or what? It's really amazing what time gelling will do for an Oline. Those guys were just awful last few seasons. That's why I actually like our Oline and what they'll be able to do as they grow together. The only clear need I see on our Oline is RT and Shanahan knows that (considering the solid sources that have stated we wanted Eric Winston but the cap penalty ruined it for us)... so once we address that (in all likelihood) next offseason, I see an Oline that is just going to take off when guys like Gettis, Compton and Leribeus find their places as well.

Yes, I think after this season with guys like Gettis, Compton, Leribeus and even Smith getting more reps, plus adding another OL then I think we can get better. I was surprised at our D-Line not getting pressure, Cutler had a field day:( I hope someone can step up in our secondary. I think Wilson has played pretty well and maybe we can see someone get bumped up to first team this preseason to see

Archived