Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official Redskins Preseason Overlooked Secondary Battle Until Death Thread

TSO

Hmm... interesting, I didn't pay attention to him at all. I usually just watch the ball the first go around. I'll be sure to notice now, thanks!
20. Some other thoughts on linemen: Willie Smith had a solid game, though he was bailed out a couple times by Cousins’ quick decisions. Smith looked better than he had much of the summer

http://washingtonexaminer.com/redskins-vs.-bears-game-review-offense/article/2505318#.UDFTCKOvQQE

That is great news. I've been sorely disappointed hearing how poorly he's been doing in TC. It's one thing to hear that, but then to see our coaches putting virtually any guy we get off the street in front of him was real damning. It always bothered me why Tyler Polumbus was taking the RT spot by default and Smith wasn't even threatening him. Then he got hurt. Hopefully, he can keep improving and get back in it. I like his abilities better than Polumbus' even though Polumbus is the more sound technique-wise right now.

Ok, this thread has officially been derailed. I'm going to post update 3 very soon (within the next few hours) to get this thing back on topic, lol. :)

Has anyone heard if Kevin Barnes will switch with Cedric Griffin to get the outside corner reps when Hall's in the slot for next game? Because we really need to see if someone can manage to do anything better than Griffin.

Yeah, I wish one of the reporters asked Shanahan that today. Someone mention it to one of them... I just can't believe the coaches are willing to stick with Griffin like this after all this time. Maybe Barnes hasn't really taken it from him yet in their minds.

My question: If our squad ends up ranked near the bottom of the league in pass defense, what does that mean for Raheem Morris?

Obviously it would be foolish to place all of the blame on the position coach, but look what Mike Tice did with that OL in Chicago....

I highly doubt thatll happen but if it does it'll be a lack of talent at the position more than anything Raheem caused or didn't cause.

My question: If our squad ends up ranked near the bottom of the league in pass defense, what does that mean for Raheem Morris?
IIRC our pass defense wasn't near league bottom last year and I don't think it will regress.

But, I doubt it would bode well for Morris especially if Tanard Jackson is part of the reason the secondary hypothetically slips.

Sorry for the lack of a second half update, guys (if you haven't checked out the last update I posted, be sure to do so), but there really wasn't much to report on. Our entire second/third-string secondary; including David Jones, Dejon Gomes, Reed Doughty and especially Brandyn Thompson and Richard Crawford, played really well and were clearly a big reason as to why we were able to mount a comeback so quickly. If I were to pick one guy out of them who was the weakest link it'd be David Jones, but he wasn't bad at all... only that he gave up a couple insignificant catches as well as a pass interference while the other guys shut their men down. Travon Bellamy didn't really play at all. I was so happy to see Brandyn Thompson return to form considering my high expectations for him. He looked, arguably, just as good as Crawford out there and as I've already stated before I hope we can find a way to keep both guys.

But here's the really interesting thing... Barnes barely played a snap. In fact, I'm not sure he ever went in. I don't know what that means, exactly, but I have a feeling we're going to see more of him than Griffin against the Colts. I know our coaches are fair, so I'm assuming they wanted Griffin to play a lot this game and are going to evaluate Barnes by giving him the same amount of playing time next game. At least I hope this is the case.

I highly doubt thatll happen but if it does it'll be a lack of talent at the position more than anything Raheem caused or didn't cause.

If that's the case, then why don't head coaches get the same free pass? (Unless you are Marvin Lewis if course.) I think it will be hard to justify what GHH has suggested if our defense- particularly our secondary-- underperforms this year.

IIRC our pass defense wasn't near league bottom last year and I don't think it will regress.

But, I doubt it would bode well for Morris especially if Tanard Jackson is part of the reason the secondary hypothetically slips.

We were 15th last year and I just don't see how we are going to get any better. Crawford may end up being the steal of this draft, but we need to throw his ass out there with the starters this week and get Ade Jim--- oh, i mean

off the damn roster. Like, now.

TJ has been a project all along in my opinion... We basically said, "This kid flashed talent at one point, let's kick the tires." I will be shocked if he makes the roster. Dude is 27 now and has literally pissed his career away with cloudy piss, poor workout habits, and tackling that wouldn't even be acceptable if he were still at Bullis.

A bump upto DC regardless. Book it.

Hail.

Jim Haslett has been coaching since 1988 and has only lasted longer than 2 years in a gig ONCE... So there is no doubt in my mind that he will be gone next season. The question is, will we look at RH's performance after this season and say, "Yes. He definitely deserves to take over this defense."?? IMO, the only way that happens is if the pass defense is our shining spot-- and I just don't know how that will be possible.

We were 15th last year and I just don't see how we are going to get any better. Crawford may end up being the steal of this draft, but we need to throw his ass out there with the starters this week and get Ade Jim--- oh, i mean

TJ has been a project all along in my opinion... We basically said, "This kid flashed talent at one point, let's kick the tires." I will be shocked if he makes the roster. Dude is 27 now and has literally pissed his career away with cloudy piss, poor workout habits, and tackling that wouldn't even be acceptable if he were still at Bullis.

*shrugs* I actually agree with everything you've said.

I'm not a fan of our 'additions' to the secondary.

But if they were 15th with Doughty and Gomes basically played half the season then I don't see them regressing with the current crew.

*shrugs* I actually agree with everything you've said.

I'm not a fan of our 'additions' to the secondary.

But if they were 15th with Doughty and Gomes basically played half the season then I don't see them regressing with the current crew.

I think how our pass defense ranks this year will have a lot more to do with how the front 7 performs than the secondary. We are not good on the backend and need what was a good pass rush last year to be even better this year to hold or improve that pass defense ranking. I also think we will be tough to run on consistenly so teams are going to gameplan to be pass heavy against us which will be a test.

I can really see us having trouble against the better QBs who get the ball out of their hands quickly negating the pass rush. Drew Brees opening day is not a good match up for our defense.

If that's the case, then why don't head coaches get the same free pass?

Good question, but I think the simple answer is they do get passes, all the time. In fact, one could argue that Mike Shanahan has gotten a pass for the last two years because we know just how poorly talented and mismanaged we've been, right?

I can see us getting better by virtue of our front seven alone playing better. I have trouble seeing us regressing and I think Raheem will be able to coach our secondary to make at least a few more plays on the ball than last year. So far this preseason we've gotten our hands on the ball a ton of times and just can't hang on... that's not good but it's better than last year when once the ball was in the air it was usually a completion or just an inaccurate throw that hit the ground. We're in position more now, just have to capitalize.

It's still too early to judge him as a Redskin, though, but your point is valid. He should be way better than he is by now but, hey, that could be an awesome blessing for our team since if he was where he should be at in his career we wouldn't have gotten him on the cheap. Maybe he'll become that as a Redskin and there's no reason right now to give up on him, a couple missed tackles or not.

Jim Haslett has been coaching since 1988 and has only lasted longer than 2 years in a gig ONCE... So there is no doubt in my mind that he will be gone next season. The question is, will we look at RH's performance after this season and say, "Yes. He definitely deserves to take over this defense."?? IMO, the only way that happens is if the pass defense is our shining spot-- and I just don't know how that will be possible.

If Haslett has a top 5 defense this year, I don't see us getting rid of him no matter how much we may think we want to right now. I believe what our insiders have said about Morris coming on and being told/implied to/hinted at that he has a future promotion here but I also don't believe anything is guaranteed. Now, if we end up finishing high on defense mainly because of our secondary play that'll be different, but otherwise, I think it's more that Haslett is getting one more chance this season to prove he's the guy for the job and if he doesn't then it goes to Morris. In my mind, I think Shanahan is a genius for setting it up this way because we win no matter what; either Haslett takes it to the next level and becomes the next elite defensive coordinator in the league (which means our D becomes elite this year) or Morris (who has amazing potential to be that guy) gets a shot at it next year and we know that Haslett isn't the guy. Either way, Shanahan isn't leaving much up to chance.

Archived