Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Question for everyone: "IF" God exists, why did he create us?

Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created. Rev. 4:11
Because it pleased him to do so.

Is that the same as saying "because he wanted to"? lol...

---------- Post added August-10th-2012 at 01:51 PM ----------

He was bored.
Drunk and bored is the only reason I can think of.

The answers are coming in pairs lol...

By the way, when you're drunk do you create things?...I tend to get sleepy and make embarrassing phone calls...

---------- Post added August-10th-2012 at 01:53 PM ----------

I don't know, we certainly haven't helped the planet.

That's why I don't believe God exists. Too much strife.

But this is having us assume beyond doubt that He DOES exist...so within that, you'd have to come up with a reason why all the "strife" exists.

Did it on a dare...

Seriously though, it's kind of a tricky question that people can answer a lot of different ways that may satisfy them. I'm pretty sure we're talking about the Judeo-Christian God, so let's go with that assumption.

I think human limitation could also throw some people off in the fact that time is a human concept and if you believe in God then you obviously believe he operates outside of time. If you're a Christian then you believe God loved you before you were born, but if God doesn't view time like humans do, then that concept is simply there for human understanding. The point being that he always loved you, there was never a time before he loved you. The whole idea of "deciding" to do something at a certain point in time is a really human way to look at things.

Did it on a dare...

Seriously though, it's kind of a tricky question that people can answer a lot of different ways that may satisfy them. I'm pretty sure we're talking about the Judeo-Christian God, so let's go with that assumption.

I think human limitation could also throw some people off in the fact that time is a human concept and if you believe in God then you obviously believe he operates outside of time. If you're a Christian then you believe God loved you before you were born, but if God doesn't view time like humans do, then that concept is simply there for human understanding. The point being that he always loved you, there was never a time before he loved you. The whole idea of "deciding" to do something at a certain point in time is a really human way to look at things.

"When" God decided isn't the question, but "why"...that can be answered without needing to frame it within the concept of time...

I do think that a lot of people don't tend to seriously think about this question, or at the very least don't seriously think about their answer.

---------- Post added August-10th-2012 at 02:20 PM ----------

It is a recognition of the soveriegnty of God. Why you want you to be more important?

That doesn't really address the question, though...

"When" God decided isn't the question, but "why"...that can be answered without needing to frame it within the concept of time...

I do think that a lot of people don't tend to seriously think about this question, or at the very least don't seriously think about their answer.

Why did he? Because he loves you. You always existed to him. Sorry if I didn't make it more clear. The reason I went into the "when" concept was because the idea of loving something before it ever exists is odd to people.

Like I said before, it may not be a very satisfactory answer for you but like I mentioned, different people are going to have different answers that satisfy them, and some may never be satisfied.

Doing something because it's pleasing is fulfilling a psychological need or desire. It seems to me a perfect, complete God would be apathetic about almost everything.

So if God is indeed apathetic about "almost" everything (why "almost"? lol), why did He create us?

---------- Post added August-10th-2012 at 02:34 PM ----------

Why did he? Because he loves you. You always existed to him. Sorry if I didn't make it more clear. The reason I went into the "when" concept was because the idea of loving something before it ever exists is odd to people.

Like I said before, it may not be a very satisfactory answer for you but like I mentioned, different people are going to have different answers that satisfy them, and some may never be satisfied.

God created us because He loved us..? Could you go further into that answer?

And it's not about "satisfying" anyone with your answer..it's about having a sincere discussion on what I consider to be the singular most important question we could ever ask, and answer.

Yes, like I said, it is a recognition of God's sovereignty.

Are you saying that God's creating us is the way He expressed his sovereignty?

---------- Post added August-10th-2012 at 02:43 PM ----------

I only use almost because I dislike using absolute statements. Why did he create us? Assuming God exists the best answer would be I don't know. To me God seems to be a contradiction of his own nature.

That's an interesting point...

Then again, if God is everything and everything stems from Him, then He is both "here" and "there"...which is by definition contradictory. So in order for God to exist, he may by default have to be contradictory.

Which might go a long way towards answering the question lol ;)...

He can be flawless and we could still be a byproduct of his creation without the universe specifically being created to host us.

You said we were an "irrelevant", unimportant "byproduct"...meaning, we exist not because God wanted us to exist...but because we're a residue of sorts that He didn't consider when creating everything else. You're in essense saying that God can create something that he never intended to create.

Archived