Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Friday 8/10: Morning After Tweets (and mostly what-not)

Jared X.G. Anderson‏@JaredXGAnderson

#redskins #preseason 10thoughts 1). RG3 showed he was capable not phenomenal. His audible & command of offense were impressive.

2). #Bills #Def played as vanilla as Skins offense, but #RG3's mobility did impact their pursuit to attack

3). #O-Line surprised, #Polumbus held his own against Super #Mario. #Gettis looked solid.

4). #Rex came in the game & immediately made #RG3 performance look better.

5). #RB play had shaky start, wouldn't panic about #O-line #Royster #Helu or #Morris

6). Skins #def has impressive depth! Some guys who get cut will play for other teams.

7). #Crawford made a case last night. If he maintains level of play he'll knock someone off the roster.

8). I wonder who's more chubs right now, #mcnabb or #rocca #?!

9). #Skins #goal-line #def was stout. Keeping 1st team #bills #offesnse w/o touchdown was impressive.

10). Nothing electric overall but they won w/o major #injury & they proved #RG3 fundamentally capable. #win

Dan Daly‏@dandalyonsports

For the non-night owls, my take on #RG3's encouraging cameo in his #Redskins debut. http://bit.ly/S6l80B #NFL #Baylor #Bills

Say this for Robert Griffin III: The kid knows how to make an entrance. Even behind a offensive line missing three starters Thursday night, he ran the Washington Redskins offense with confidence and polish. As crazy as RG3 Mania has been up to now, you get the feeling we ain’t seen nuthin’ yet. If he keeps playing the way he did against the Buffalo Bills in the preseason opener, it won’t be long before fascination gives way to obsession.

Nobody would have been too bothered if Griffin, in his first appearance on the NFL stage, had shown occasional signs of being, well, a rookie. That is, if he’d overshot a receiver because his adrenaline was pumping too hard. Or if he’d misread a defense and thrown a ball where he shouldn’t have. There’s so much riding on him at the age of 22, so much invested in him, that it would only be normal if his performance sometimes reflected the weight of those expectations — never mind his relative inexperience at the most important position on the field.

As we’re quickly discovering, though, there’s very little that’s normal, athletically, about Robert Griffin III. And in the 7-6 win over the Bills at Ralph Wilson Stadium, all he needed was 14 snaps to remind us of that.

WGR 550‏@WGR550

BUSCAGLIA: Sideline Reactions: Redskins 7 - Bills 6 http://bit.ly/OVeX1I

The Bills came out on offense and didn't run the ball. Not once -- and here's why: The team went with a no huddle look and Chan Gailey entrusted Ryan Fitzpatrick to make all of the calls. They want to highlight his skill-set consisting of his intelligence in reading the defense and finding holes in it. The Redskins started off in their base 3-4, and never came out of it. Despite all the receivers out on the field, the Redskins stood pat. At that point, so did Fitzpatrick. Had they brought in a nickel corner on first or second downs, there likely would have been a run play mixed in. There wasn't, so the Bills didn't.

I thought Chan Gailey running no-huddle out of the gate for pre-season showed a lot of panache, maybe too much panache.

:ols: :applause:

---------- Post added August-10th-2012 at 05:12 AM ----------

Richard Cullen‏@Rcullen587

Couldn't be happier about the skins debut… not as pleased about the collared shirt look on the jerseys http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/redskins-vs-bills-a-lot-to-like-about-rgiii-other-problems-still-need-to-be-addressed/2012/08/09/e57fcd0e-e26c-11e1-ae7f-d2a13e249eb2_story.html

Couldn't be happier about the skins debut… not as pleased about the collared shirt look on the jerseys http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/redskins-vs-bills-a-lot-to-like-about-rgiii-other-problems-still-need-to-be-addressed/2012/08/09/e57fcd0e-e26c-11e1-ae7f-d2a13e249eb2_story.html

yeah, the collars looked retarded. They need to make them all one color

*Groan* :ols:....(adds it to his ES venacular)

Oh, I knew that was a bad one going in. I couldn't get of the way of the panache train. :ols:

Those collars were god awful, truly the worst thing we saw on the field last night, hands down. If anything, it's business time and the collar should have been closed with a tie (not a bow tie, I hate those. stupid irony) which would look equally as dumb. What next, put a feather on the helmet that looks like everybody has a mullet? turrible, just turrible.

How ugly were those? I couldnt take my eyes off them it was so bad.

The more what not the better.

Surprised not to be hearing even MORE about the refs from last night... what a joke.

Strangely, though they were complaining about too many penalties being called. It was a breath of relief finally to see our defense get some holds on some headlocks.

Replacement officials booed in Buffalo after muffing call on touchback

Bills punter Brian Moorman hit a 49-yard punt, which Buffalo’s Ruvell Martin downed at the Redskins 4-yard line. Back judge Craig Burd, however, ruled it a touchback.

The only Bills player who entered the end zone was Brad Smith, who never touched the ball.

Fans began booing when the ball was placed at the 20 and they got louder when a replay was shown on the scoreboard.

Coach Chan Gailey challenged the play, which was reversed shortly after referee David Scott reviewed it.

The NFL is using replacement officials after locking out its regular officials, whose contract expired.

There was another miscue at the end of the first half, when the Redskins’ offense was penalized for delay of game with 5 seconds left and Washington out of timeouts. Scott marched off the 5-yard penalty to prepare for the next play, when Gailey had a brief conversation with line judge Rondell Taylor at the sideline.

Taylor quickly ran over to the referee, and Scott announced the half was over because, under NFL rules, 10 seconds had to be run off the clock because the penalty occurred in the final two minutes of a half.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/replacement-officials-booed-in-buffalo-after-muffing-call-on-touchback/2012/08/09/602439c6-e283-11e1-89f7-76e23a982d06_story.html

Ok, how in the bloody hell did they screw up that punt call?

Strangely, though they were complaining about too many penalties being called. It was a breath of relief finally to see our defense get some holds on some headlocks.

Yeah, but the keystone cops stuff was pretty bad... and Orakpo literally coulnd't have been held any worse on that first play... but eh... got the sack.

I am with you though, they did seem to call more penalties as the game went on and I enjoyed seeing guys like Baker and Neild benefit.

Replacement officials booed in Buffalo after muffing call on touchback

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/replacement-officials-booed-in-buffalo-after-muffing-call-on-touchback/2012/08/09/602439c6-e283-11e1-89f7-76e23a982d06_story.html

Ok, how in the bloody hell did they screw up that punt call?

One of the worst officiating calls i have ever seen. The ball bounced real high up at around the 7 yard line and the bills player caught it around the 5 yard line. Somehow, they called it a touchback? Even i was saying how the hell did they miss that??

Jared X.G. Anderson‏@JaredXGAnderson

#redskins #preseason 10thoughts

3). #O-Line surprised, #Polumbus held his own against Super #Mario. #Gettis looked solid.

LeRibeus was in the game quite a lot - his name has not come up much. For an OL, that is usually a good thing.

Anyone watch his play more closely and have a comment?

LeRibeus was in the game quite a lot - his name has not come up much. For an OL, that is usually a good thing.

Only thing I remember hearing about him was that he blew his block on a Cooley carry, leading to him being stuffed.

If that's the only thing he did wrong, then yay lol...

---------- Post added August-10th-2012 at 06:09 AM ----------

Some more what-not:

Emmanual Benton‏@Roccoskins

Washington Redskins: Breaking Down All Of Robert Griffin III's Throws : http://www.rantsports.com/washington-redskins/2012/08/10/washington-redskins-breaking-down-robert-griffin-iiis-pre-season-debut/

Throw #1:

■Shotgun trips left - Leonard Hankerson lined up as a single on the far right, with a “trips” look on the left with Santana Moss, Fred Davis, and Pierre Garçon.

■Perfect protection by the offensive line. It should be noted that Mario Williams played over the right tackle, Tyler Polumbus on this play.

■3 step drop, throws an accurate pass to Garçon who ran an “out” route. The catch was ruled incomplete, due to Garçon not getting two feet in. Hard to tell from the replay if he did or didn’t, but it was a good throw.

Throw #2:

■Pistol formation – Two receiver set with Garçon and Leonard Hankerson.

■Solid protection with Mark Anderson on Trent Williams and again, Mario Williams over the right tackle – Tyler Polumbus.

■Griffin – catch, rock, and throws to Hankerson on an “out” route. Play results in a competition of 12 yards, mostly due to Hankerson’s YAC (yards after catch).

Very next play, the hand-off between Griffin and Royster was muffed. That’s typically on the quarterback and Griffin took full responsibility for not making sure the hand-off was secured. Though Royster defended his quarterback saying he should have held on to the ball.

Throw #4:

■Single back, two receiver set – designed QB running play with an option to dump off.

■Play action – Robert notices a defender with a free shot at him and wisely chooses not to run, but instead throws it to Niles Paul – the designed check down. Play results in a incomplete, and was the first of many drops for Niles. Robert displayed his variety of delivery points by throwing side armed. Showed great athleticism and decisive decision making on the play.

Throw #5:

■Pistol formation – Two tight end/receiver set.

■Protection, again was great. Mario Williams was over the right tackle – Tyler Polumbus, who held his own. Adam Gettis and Will Montgomery did a great job keeping Kyle Williams’ bull rush under control. Maurice Hurt handled Marcell Dareus as well.

■Two step drop, Robert looks to his first option and moves on through his progression making a decisive and accurate throw to Pierre Garçon who ran (what looks to be) a “6″ route. Play results in a gain of 19 yards.

Throw #6:

■Shotgun formation

■Screen pass over the 6ft 4 Mark Anderson, into the hands of Pierre Garçon who went 20 yards for the only touchdown of the game. It should be noted – in ’11 the Redskins only scored once through the air with a ball caught in the field of play. That displayed the lack of playmakers that can create YAC and is the reason Washington brought in guys like Garçon during the off-season.

■Trent Williams and Maurice Hurt did a great job pulling out and making blocks on the second level.

Throw #3 seems to be missing...

Yeah, but the keystone cops stuff was pretty bad... and Orakpo literally coulnd't have been held any worse on that first play... but eh... got the sack.

I am with you though, they did seem to call more penalties as the game went on and I enjoyed seeing guys like Baker and Neild benefit.

I missed the first quarter of the game...nfl.com listed Kerrigan with the sack - was it Orakpo? Kinda disappointed they don't have that play in the game highlights...

Not terribly impressed with LeRib... he flat out whiffed on defenders right in front of him at the snap several times, and got pushed around quite abit several others.

Hope he is able to improve as time goes on

There was a rumor last night that Trent Williams was hurt. Is there any truth to that? If so, any news on him?

Yes Trent got hurt but it does not seem too serious. According to Trent he was just stepped on while blocking on Garcon's TD catch (x-rays were negative)

So this preseason package for 20 bucks on NFL.com is awesome. I am replaying the game right now. So when Royster fumbles that ball and the bills pick it up, if you watch when Griffin gets to the tackle, he pops the ball out....and looks like it would have been a touchback because he may have popped it right out of the end zone. What a great hustle play even though it was ruled dead. Who isnt going to want to play for this guy? 100% effort all the time. I love it

Archived