Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brandon Banks Performance Issues/WR Position

skins4ever17

Well, he is the best returner on the team. And I think that just one game isn't going to be the telling factor. Banks has had a very good camp.

---------- Post added August-10th-2012 at 10:07 AM ----------

What has Robinson done to be on this team?

He caught 2 nice passes from Cousins last night. It's only his second year. Recievers often take 3 years to develop. There's still a lot of potential in Robinson, where as, I think we are now getting a full picture of what Banks brings to the team, and it's really not all that much. He almost seems like a liability as a WR, because what would be possible receptions to other recievers will be INT's with him. (any passes that are off or too high)

Let's not pretend that he set the world on fire as a returner last year, because he didn't. Dude was average at best. I just don't see any way he makes the team and I'm fine with that.

And the dude was hurt last year, after having knee surgery. He wasn't 100%.

---------- Post added August-10th-2012 at 10:14 AM ----------

He caught 2 nice passes from Cousins last night. It's only his second year. Recievers often take 3 years to develop. There's still a lot of potential in Robinson, where as, I think we are now getting a full picture of what Banks brings to the team, and it's really not all that much. He almost seems like a liability as a WR, because what would be possible receptions to other recievers will be INT's with him. (any passes that are off or too high)

Not true

Bye bye Banks.

How does a guy with no weight lose his balance?

he tries to cut, runs out from under himself... and then topples over?

His upper half weighs all of 80 lbs.

No hands.

No feet.

No height.

No weight.

No way.

~Bang

So, 90% of the fans want Banks gone. We all know that Hank, Moss, Morgan, Garcon will be on this team. Who are the other 2?

---------- Post added August-10th-2012 at 10:22 AM ----------

Bye bye Banks.

How does a guy with no weight lose his balance?

he tries to cut, runs out from under himself... and then topples over?

His upper half weighs all of 80 lbs.

No hands.

No feet.

No height.

No weight.

No way.

~Bang

So, after 1 game, its time to get rid of Banks? You can't do that.

A. Robinson and A. Armstrong.

I like Briscoe instead of Armstrong. He's shown in games (in Tampa) he can get things done, he's brings a taller receiver to the team, which we don't have, and can run decent routes. Armstrong, and Alridge are similar receivers in the sense, they are both straight line burners (obviously a big difference in size), but Robinson can do KR, and PR also, so he would have the edge.

So, 90% of the fans want Banks gone. We all know that Hank, Moss, Morgan, Garcon will be on this team. Who are the other 2?

---------- Post added August-10th-2012 at 10:22 AM ----------

So, after 1 game, its time to get rid of Banks? You can't do that.

No, it's after two seasons and one game.

the guy is a kick returner, and kickoff returns are becoming quite scarce.

He's not a wide receiver. Last night he iced that pretty clearly.

it wasn't just mistakes,or drops,, he just isn't built for it, and he hasn't got good enogh WR skills to beat out anyone on the team.

(I've seen people say "Small guys can do it,, look at Steve Smith." Smith has 30 pounds of muscle on Banks. 30 lbs is significant)

Last night they obviously shoowcased him, wanted to see what he could do.

And what he could do was nothing.

He fell down coming out of his breaks. A 150 pound man had such a problem controlling his momentum thart he fell twice coming out of breaks and missed passes. (How is that even possible?)

He completely missed the toe-tap on his best play of the night, and Rex's best throw. he had the sideline, no DB on him, all he had to do was catch the pefect pass that hit him dead in the hands and tap his toes. He failed.

He could not shake their cornerback.. he's too small. Their average sized backup cornerback towered over him, and on the two deep balls, was able to get higher than Banks and swat the ball away. (Granted, bad throws. but in the NFL you better be able to make a play on a bad throw, because you're going to have to. Banks could not, and looked like a little kid trying to do it. he got shoved away, boxed out, no chance at all.)

Small receivers have to be physical.. Steve Smith again,, small, but brings the punch. (again, 30 pounds makes a big difference.) Banks gets knocked over by the breeze.

Banks gets knocked dwn by a strong breeeze.

On a deep route a guy Banks' size needs a perfect down-the-chiney pass, or he needs to get at least two steps .. because his height means he's still not open after one.

Drops that hit him in his hands.. he had several.

the thing is, banks can be a weapon on a quick screen or another play designed to get the ball to him quickly with a block.

And you don't keep a guy around to use once a game when there's better players to choose from who can play in more situations.

I could be wrong, but after one game he's at the bottom of the depth ladder, and hanging on by an eyelash.

~Bang

i disagree with the consensus here. i think he can be effective at WR, and has real playmaking ability ... when he doesn't have grossman throwing him the ball. the two slips were unfortunate, but i think those were flukey. he was clearly getting separation. i'm definitely rooting for him. robinson and austin do nothing for me.

he was clearly getting separation. i'm definitely rooting for him. robinson and austin do nothing for me.

I think he almost needs to get more separation than a typical WR to "be open" though. I was actually surprised that he only separated from a DB once or twice. I expected him to get behind guys pretty easily (especially since he was out there against the second-string D).

he was clearly getting separation. i'm definitely rooting for him. robinson and austin do nothing for me.

Yes, he got separation. But then lazy hands and mediocre routes allowed defenders to recover. Getting separation isn't the answer. Getting it and keeping it is.

Look at Garcon. He got separation, sold his route then broke it off and kept that separation. Banks' route running isn't good enough to do that.

I'm not writing him off, but he has to improve.

Austin? LOL! I can see Robinson.

Robinson has shown you nothing, but Austin has.

Austin in his limited preseason action in the last two seasons has shown himself to have better hands, better moves and understands the position of WR better than Banks, and he's still on the outside looking in..

he can also tackle on special teams, and the very idea of banks trying to tackle anyone is laughable.

Banks has one skill, and it's a skill no longer required.

May as well tell me he can drop kick, so we should keep him.

I'm going to have to rewatch the game, because I saw NO separation on the deep routes.. i saw that CB laughing at him most of the night.

and the one time he did get clear on an out route he missed a routine toe-tap.

~Bang

Issue is that banks requires a perfect ball and then can do really good things. Can we really expect him to get a perfect ball every throw he lost every contested ball in that game. The defender pretty much got his hands on the ball first every time. Its one game so will need to see how he does in the others but to be honest i would not rate his performance very high in the last game.

I agree here totally. I would give him another game with the same amount of reps to see if it was Banks stinking it up or the QB to WR connection. Half the time, I couldn't even be mad at him, because he just couldn't fight through the coverage. It felt like he HAS to be wide open to be a threat. Robinson was making catches in traffic and getting some YAC.

Other receivers who did not impress what so ever were Niles Paul at TE, and Austin. All three are in the dog house IMO

Archived