Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brandon Banks Performance Issues/WR Position

skins4ever17

I think he can be a serious threat if we had him running the right routes. I get so frustrated when hes run just a straight fly or something over the middle. We need to get him in a position where the D is chasing him. For example how many time has D-jax beat us on the long post from the opp side of the field for a TD. Just about everytime we play them. That should be his play. He may never turn into an all around WR but there are def plays out there for him..JMO

Let's not pretend that he set the world on fire as a returner last year, because he didn't. Dude was average at best. I just don't see any way he makes the team and I'm fine with that.

Yeah, I wanted him to make it last year, but I'm not overly concerened this time around, now that we've added more playmakers at that position, and have a few guys who are more than capable of returning kicks/punts.

Blaming Rex and 'bad quarterback' play is closing your eyes to the obvious.

Brandon Banks is NEVER going to be an NFL receiver. That was painfully apparent out there last night. He's 5'7, and a buck 55. He can neither go up for high balls, nor get any separation when he's tightly covered. He just doesn't have ANYTHING bodily behind him to pus off from defenders. Unless it's a go route and he's burned his DB (and even then the throw has to be on the money), he's not pulling much of anything in. He was targeted what, 9 times out there last night. And came up with a whopping 2 receptions for 7 yards.

It's hard for me to blame him for not coming up with a jump ball. Like u said, he's 5'-7". No guy 5'-7" is going to beat anyone for a jump ball.

And i think it's safe to say this is his first real season getting reps as a WR. And he has yet to even have RGIII throw him the ball. Maybe thats why the coaches are in love with him at practice? B/c he has a guy putting the ball in the right spot for him.

I agree, but last year we were terrible with yards after the catch and big plays because Rex is incapable. Banks only real use is the big play because of his size and speed. Get him in the slot is too much of a fumble risk, and too many tall LBs in the way.

Anyone think there is any chance Banks gets a shot with the 1st teamers eventually? I know that deep route he ran would have been 6 if the deep ball from Cousins would have been better. I think if RG3 threw that it's 6 and we're all praising Banks.

It's hard for me to blame him for not coming up with a jump ball. Like u said, he's 5'-7". No guy 5'-7" is going to beat anyone for a jump ball.

And i think it's safe to say this is his first real season getting reps as a WR. And he has yet to even have RGIII throw him the ball. Maybe thats why the coaches are in love with him at practice? B/c he has a guy putting the ball in the right spot for him.

I think it's also safe to say he's not getting hit in camp practice. Or having to separate that 155lb frame from guys far bigger and stronger than him. Put that body out onto an actual field, in live action against pro footballers, and, well ..... this aint' training camp anymore.

Hail.

I think it's also safe to say he's not getting hit in camp practice. Or having to separate that 155lb frame from guys far bigger and stronger than him. Put that body out onto an actual field, in live action against pro footballers, and, well ..... this aint' training camp anymore.

Hail.

Yea, i hear ya. I just think going off what happened last night its hard for me to give up on him just yet. Let me see 1 quarter with him on the field with RGIII and if he still can't get it done i would be fine with letting him go. I mean its not like i have a say or anything :ols: but just saying i would like to see what he can do with a guy who can throw the ball out there. And get the ball to him on time. I dont think he is better than Garcon, Moss, Hank, Morgan but if we can get him the ball on the run i think he could def help us out.

Nobody on the Skins roster is bigger or stronger than he is? lol...

You know what I meant man.

He's not getting the same close up, physical attention one-on-one from our guys in practice that he did last night and having to use his 'strength' (said with tongue FIRMLY in cheek) to either separate or fight for the ball.

Hail.

Yea, i hear ya. I just think going off what happened last night its hard for me to give up on him just yet. Let me see 1 quarter with him on the field with RGIII and if he still can't get it done i would be fine with letting him go. I mean its not like i have a say or anything :ols: but just saying i would like to see what he can do with a guy who can throw the ball out there. And get the ball to him on time. I dont think he is better than Garcon, Moss, Hank, Morgan but if we can get him the ball on the run i think he could def help us out.

I think the Shanny's have more than enough to make a decision. I do agree with giving him a shot with Rg. But Rex and Cousins put balls that an adequate reciever could've made plays on. Would RG give better passes??? He threw six balls, and in training camp he has been wildly inaccurate. Banks is nothing more than a gimic player. His speed is great but he truly lacks size and ability to play WR.

I didn't see the game but I will try to this weekend . That said . I really fear for Banks on the team . He seems to have grown up emotionally and you cannot say he has not put the work in.

But he is always going to be limited by things he can do nothing about . His height and size . The difference between 5-7 and 5-9 is big ... when you are going up against DBs who are 5-11 + that difference is HUGE . You are not only giving up too much in height but reach as well and while Banks has all the speed you could want, he isn't know for a massive vertical jump .... A couple of times i read in the camp write ups where the QB would make a fairly standard pass which for most WRs is gravey to complete, they move their body to sheild the ball from the DB .. but with Banks the DB can play through him so even well placed balls can be easily broken up or even picked off ..

I really want Banks to succeed but I strugle to see it... unfortuantly i have not seen that much from Austin or Robinsion either ...

The coaches seemingly really wanted to see what Banks could do. They gave him many opportunities to shine and be the man. It's only one snapshot, but he hurt his stock. Him and Niles Paul really blew their chances last night. Luckily for both, they have the opportunity to bounce back and prove themselves.

Yes, they both get 3 more preseason games, but the difference is, Paul will make the roster no matter what. Banks might not.

Hail.

I am sure that is why he was targeted last night so much. They wanted tape on him to see how he handled the live action and even though I thought the throws were horrible to him, I don't think he helped himself in this game. I will be rooting for him, but really may the best six men win.

With Banks last night, twice he slipped at the top of his route and the third time his lack of size allowed the DB to come through him as the ball arrived (the throw might have been a tad late) and another incomplete. His lack of size hurts him on these inside stick routes and he needs to find a way to keep his feet under him because slips often result in picks.

I know this is no excuse, but didn't they have some rain on the turf before the game? Sorry, I didn't see the game, but I know during the pregame on NFLN, they said there could be some weather in Buffalo. I'm watching the game this evening.

I like Banks but he's a liability as a WR. Too small, too easily pushed around as others have mentioned already, etc.

I like what he has shown he can do as a returner, but do they have the luxury of burning a roster spot for a 1-dimensional ST player that may only be marginally better than someone else?

Blaming Rex and 'bad quarterback' play is closing your eyes to the obvious.

Brandon Banks is NEVER going to be an NFL receiver. That was painfully apparent out there last night. He's 5'7, and a buck 55. He can neither go up for high balls, nor get any separation when he's tightly covered. He just doesn't have ANYTHING bodily behind him to push off from defenders. Unless it's a go route and he's burned his DB (and even then the throw has to be TOTALLY on the money), he's not pulling much of anything in. He was targeted what, 9 times out there last night. And came up with a whopping 2 receptions for 7 yards.

And worse, even worse than that, is that over the past year, he's become more or less totally ineffective as a return guy. It wasn't lost on me that two years ago, against the very same Bills in Coach Mike's debut, this undersized, undrafted pocket rocket burst onto the scene with his punt returns, electrifying us by taking one to the house for 77yds. Flip forward two years, against the same opponents, at the same stage of pre-season, and nothing. Nada.

I love Banks. I wrote an impassioned piece on him around this time last year comparing him to our greatest ever returner: http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?351005-The-case-for-Brandon-Banks.-the-Mike-Nelms-of-the-new-millennium.

But there's ZERO way I could justify a place on this roster after both his regression as a return man since then, and his more or less total ineffectiveness as an NFL wide receiver. Last night did nothing to change that view. Of all the guys that took to the field in Buffalo, Brandon did nothing to improve his chances of being around here much longer than the next three games.

Face facts. Bar a miraculous turnaround (including a growing and size spurt ..... in a 24 year old); the Brandon Banks career in Washington, and probably on the whole as a pro with much of any effectiveness, is over. It was good whilst it lasted.

Hail.

I don't understand the over the top love affair with Brandon Banks . Team tried to feature him last night against 2nd and 3rd team defenders and he proved again he can not play WR on a NFL level. Banks will be a camp cut as has been said for months.

You don't have to be the tallest guy to be a productive wide receiver in the NFL. Desean Jackson is generously listed at 5'10 and does pretty well for himself

Jackson's not trying to develop as a WR though. His WR skills are much more developed than Banks. Banks is pretty much learning to play WR at this level.

---------- Post added August-10th-2012 at 08:51 AM ----------

Short wr's can do well in the NFL provided they can jump high and contest balls and fight for the ball in traffic. Didn't look like banks could do either last night.

He's a screen, short pass WR that needs the ball in space. Trying to go downfield with Banks against even remotely tight coverage seems like it's going to be an exercise in futility.

...Face facts. Bar a miraculous turnaround (including a growing and size spurt ..... in a 24 year old); the Brandon Banks career in Washington, and probably on the whole as a pro with much of any effectiveness, is over. It was good whilst it lasted.

Hail.

Could not have stated it any better. All his limitations were painfully obvious last night. If he gets a roster spot it speaks more to the poor play of Robinson (who shined by the way), Armstrong, Brizcoe, etc.

Listen, This is a really bad game to judge Brandon on. Most of those throws were absolutely horrible

This is pretty much what I'm thinking.

I'm hoping Cousins, who will probably throw the most next week too, connects with Banks. I really want BB on this team, and last night, from what I saw, was more poor throwing than BB not getting open.

Are you sure that all the throws to Banks were QB failures? What is the possibility that Banks wasn't were he should have been, thus making it appear that the throw was off, when in fact it may have been Banks who was off?

None of us can be sure. That's for the coaches / players. I'm just saying what I observed. It looked like the balls were off...thrown too high, too low, too far to the left, too far to the right, etc...But yeah, it's entirely possible it was poor route running and totally BB's fault. Most likely it was a little of both.

Archived