Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Barry Cofield: "I don’t feel like we’re a rebuilding team. I don’t feel like we’re a team that’s a year away."

themurf

6497030543_3d52a39186.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

The 2011 season was an up-and-down campaign for Washington Redskins defensive tackle Barry Cofield. While he was happy to come to Washington and take on a more vocal leadership role with his new team, he also had to learn a new position and suffer through a disappointing 5-11 season.

One year later, things look much better for the future of the Redskins, as far as Cofield is concerned. Not only did the franchise make the bold decision to trade several high draft picks for the right to select Robert Griffin III in the 2012 NFL Draft, but just as importantly to the nose tackle, they didn’t make any sweeping changes to the defense’s front seven.

With that type of continuity, Cofield is confident the defense front is capable of great things in ‘12.

“I’ve got big aspirations,” he said. “I don’t feel like we’re a rebuilding team. I don’t feel like we’re a team that’s a year away. We’re ready to compete this year, and the goal is to win and be a playoff team this year. We want to win every game we play. On defense, we’ve got guys who have spent a year together now. We’ve got veteran guys. We’ve got leaders and we’ve got some really talented players.”

As far as head coach Mike Shanahan is concerned, Cofield is definitely someone who falls into the talented veteran player category.

“With Barry, it was probably just an adjustment mentally, mindset-wise, of going from a 4-3 one-gap defense to being a 3-4 nose tackle,” said Shanahan. “It’s a totally different mindset where it’s not just run gap, ‘take that gap’ stuff like that. It’s a little bit more running sideways, stuff like that, keeping the linemen off the linebackers, realizing that you’re probably not going to be making a ton of plays. So as a guy you kind of have to change your thought process, but I thought he did great with it.”

So while casual sports fans might look at the box score and not see monster numbers next to Cofield’s name, his coaches and teammates know that his impact on a game goes far beyond a box score. Linebacker Perry Riley, for example, said when the guys up front are doing their jobs, the middle linebackers “pretty much run around free.”

“Realistically it’s not going to be a ton of big plays,” Cofield said. “That’s just not what the position entails. The one thing that I do rest on from last year is that [middle linebacker] London [Fletcher] led the league in tackles and made it to the Pro Bowl. He obviously appreciated the work I did up front, but I just feel like I can do it better. I feel like I can make a few more big plays. I feel like I can be in the quarterback’s face.

“We’re doing some things differently up front that are going to hopefully get the nose tackle some one-on-ones to be able to push the pocket and harass quarterbacks and even get some sacks,” he added. “Last year I think I had two, three sacks. That’s not horrible for a nose tackle, but I feel like with the skill set I have I can improve and I want to get a couple more.”

While the defense has made some subtle changes this offseason, it’s not like these players are having to learn an entirely new system. Cofield, for one, believes having a year under his belt is only going to make him more effective in Washington.

“I think it’ll make a huge difference,” said Cofield. “Honestly, I go back and review myself last year and I’ve played a lot better than that. It was a growing process. I gave myself some leeway for that, but having a true offseason this year, being able to watch a lot of tape and do all the learning and having this training camp and us as a unit.

“The great thing is that they brought [defensive end] Adam [Carriker] back,” he continued. “I think that did a lot for continuity. Then you add [defensive end Jarvis] Jenkins back into the mix and Chris Neild played well. We’ve got a lot of guys and I think our depth is going to be surprising to a lot of people.”

It’s understandable that some players are going to be tougher on themselves than others, but is there a specific aspect of Cofield’s game that he felt like should have been better last season?

“Nothing specific, just doing everything better,” Cofield said. “I go back and watch a lot of Casey Hampton Steelers tape throughout the years. He’s kind of the godfather of the nose tackle position as we play it today and he did it well. He did some things better than me and there are some things that I can do with my natural ability, with my athleticism, that I bring to the position that not a lot of other guys can do. So it’s just getting better at everything and have everything be second-nature. By the time I left New York, everything was second nature. People had to catch up with me. Last year, I felt like I was playing catch-up. I can already see a difference in the beginning of camp.”

Shanahan said he can already tell that Cofield feels more comfortable with what he’s being asked to do this year, compared to last season when the 28-year-old was transitioning into his new role.

Click here for the full article.

so barry cofield is saying that the skins are a mediocre team.... that's news to me.

it's good to know that we have an even keeled leader on the team. if we can keep this group together we have a solid core and a few good leaders in the making

so barry cofield is saying that the skins are a mediocre team.... that's news to me.

it's good to know that we have an even keeled leader on the team. if we can keep this group together we have a solid core and a few good leaders in the making

I believe that by saying "I don't think we're a team thats a year away" he means that he believes we aren't a year away from competing in the division/league and that we can do it this year.

Did you read the actual article, or just the Title?

I for one love Cofield. I was a bit nervous last year that he wasn't quite big enough to be a NT, but if he can keep eating up linemen, then it doesn't really matter.

He pretty much said the opposite of that. I don't know how you got "mediocre team" from reading that.

Did you read the actual article, or just the Title?

I for one love Cofield. I was a bit nervous last year that he wasn't quite big enough to be a NT, but if he can keep eating up linemen, then it doesn't really matter.

Probably only read the title and thought he knew what the entire article was about. People like having kneejerk reactions.

It's exhilarating to know that last season Cofield was just learning the system last year. I thought he looked rather respectful. Provided that Jenkins can live up to his potential from last season I suspect he could supplant Carriker opposite Bowen. Regardless I like the depth we've established up front.

Probably only read the title and thought he knew what the entire article was about. People like having kneejerk reactions.

Huh?

The title doesn't come to the conclusion that the above poster made..

:ols:

Barry is saying we're ready to compete now. It reads that way in both the title, and the article.

I guess that whole "reading" fad never got you, huh?

Huh?

Barry is saying we're ready to compete now. It reads that way in both the title, and the article.

In most cases when someone says, " they're not a year away" it's a negative statement. Meaning it'll take more than one year to get things fixed. Obviously the person didn't read past the title.

Huh?

A rebuilding team is a bad team, we're not rebuilding so we're not bad. A team that is just a year away is usually pretty good. We're not just a year away we're not that good. Not bad, not good= mediocre.

I'm pretty sure that's the logic

In most cases when someone says, " they're not a year away" it's a negative statement. Meaning it'll take more than one year to get things fixed. Obviously the person didn't read past the title.

Yea. I guess its just the optimist in me that took it as a positive. And hearing other quotes from Barry this offseason, he's definitely excited about what this team can do.

A rebuilding team is a bad team, we're not rebuilding so we're not bad. A team that is just a year away is usually pretty good. We're not just a year away we're not that good. Not bad, not good= mediocre.

I'm pretty sure that's the logic

Well said. The quote without any context could be interpreted two ways and I think you've summed up the negative way here.

Where, exactly, did you read that Cofield said the Redskins are a "mediocre team" in this article?

Murf, maybe I'm the first to say that I really miss your camp coverage. Having to rely on tweets is incredibly obnoxious. I always felt like I got a very thorough overview of what transpired during the practice. What the wide-wide-world-of-sports happened?! :)

I feel like with the attitude the players and coaching staff have we might surprise some people this year. Maybe I'm just dreaming but I feel good about our team this year,real good.

HTTR

The only reason you feel you're dreaming is because the Redskins have given us similar hype but just packaged differently. This one comes in the form of a rookie QB who could very well change the game. It's no dream, it's a set path and we're just trying to see if were gonna stay on that path and get those wins. I think we can go as high as Griffin will take us.

The underrated things Griffin can do for us this year that no one has done here in a WHILE:

1.Keep defense off the field.

2.Energize the entire team due to it being the most important position in all of sports.

3.Deliver kill speed, leaving the defense being honest - benefiting the run game - benefiting the pass game - benefiting the O-line

4.He is hype, he is hope - and everyone will rally around that. Everyone will play better around him because the lights are on.

Archived