Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

koehlerlaw.net: Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan Should Fear Owner’s Vote of Confidence

http://koehlerlaw.net/2012/08/redskins-coach-mike-shanahan-should-fear-owners-vote-of-confidence/

It is such a Washington, D.C. phenomenon. You know a beleaguered Administration official is in big trouble the moment the President expresses his support. Nine times out of ten, it means that it is just a matter of time before that official is ushered out the door.

[...]Having lived in the area for a couple of years now, Washington Redskins coach Mike Shanahan must be aware of this phenomenon. And he can’t be feeling too good after reading this morning’s Washington Post headline: “Snyder Expresses Confidence in Shanahan.” After all, despite back-to-back losing seasons since Redskins’ owner Daniel Snyder hired Shanahan to turn around the team’s fortunes, it is not as though there has been a groundswell among Redskin fans for Shanahan’s ouster. That there is any question about Shanahan’s future with the team must be coming from Snyder himself.

Yes, yes, Snyder reassures himself. I was absolutely right in hiring Shanahan, and I am going to see this thing through. Yes, yes, he tells himself, assuming the drafting of Robert Griffin III does not turn out to have been the biggest trade bust since the Minnesota Vikings acquired Hershel Walker from the Cowboys....

i'm a big shanahan guy, but i wouldn't be surprised at all if we go in another direction this year if the skins don't turn out a better product on the field and if RG3 does not impress ...not saying that is right, just saying.

Especially, if the right QB/Offense friendly coach is out there waiting in the wings ...

I

guess i'm the only one who thinks this team is going to be good this year. I was on deployment but they showed a lot of skins games over seas last season. The one thing I noticed is that the skins were in every game just about, with the exception of the Buffalo game and the Last game vs the Eagles. Our defense will carry this team. But if RG3 can manage the game in the beginning of the season, progress through out the rest, Keep the turn overs down. There is no reason the skins should not win 9 or 10 games.

Seriously. Does some 2 bit lawyer's blog/opinion count as 'news' worthy? with his only source of authority consisting of "living in the area for a couple years" If Snyder fires Mike after this year, absolutely no legitimate coach would want to come here.

I just can't see any situation where Shanahan and/or Allen are let go at the end of this season. The team has a rookie QB, a $36 million dollar cap disadvantage (which they didn't create btw, they tried to figure out how to solve a Vinny/Snyder problem in a creative way that the other owners didn't like), have completely re-tooled the roster AND who out there is really going to be better?

Snyder has now tried everything:

1. Stick with it with the guy in place (Norv)

2. Get Mr. Discipline himself to run everything (Marty. Firing him is still the worst move of the Snyder era.)

3. Try the hot college coach. (Spurrier)

4. Convince the legend to come back (Gibbs)

5. Try the "hot young Up-and-comer" (Zorn)

None of it's worked. If Snyder fires Shanahan, what do you do? Get another SB winning coach? (Gruden?) Or Another "Hot Up and Comer?" Those don't work out as well as people think.

No, Shanahan is safe, if only because he's the best coach for this team and there are no other real options.

If Dan Synder fires MS, there is no hope for this franchise. We are going to be the next lions. It takes years to repair 10 years of negligence and a few more years to retool

That's just not true. The NFL will look at a coach being given three years to turn around a franchise and failing and just nod its head. The average career of a successful NFL player is about four years. By year three, a rebuild should be well under way and baring fruit.

Mind you, I think Shanny sees out his contract too and I like what I see so far, but if Shanahan completely flounders this year... giving the guy three years is more than fair and would be in the eyes of most NFL pros.

That's just not true. The NFL will look at a coach being given three years to turn around a franchise and failing and just nod its head. The average career of a successful NFL player is about four years. By year three, a rebuild should be well under way and baring fruit.

Mind you, I think Shanny sees out his contract too and I like what I see so far, but if Shanahan completely flounders this year... giving the guy three years is more than fair and would be in the eyes of most NFL pros.

A regular rebuild takes 3 years to fix. This isn't a typical rebuild. We gave up draft pick after draft pick, no young mixture of talent. Nothing!

If Dan Synder fires MS, there is no hope for this franchise. We are going to be the next lions. It takes years to repair 10 years of negligence and a few more years to retool

^x1000. Unless something catastrophic happens during the 2012 season (RGIII injured while punting, running a swinging gate or something just idiotic like that), Mike Shanahan should be here. If Snyder fires him, it would be time to start attempting to get rid of Snyder.

A regular rebuild takes 3 years to fix. This isn't a typical rebuild. We gave up draft pick after draft pick, no young mixture of talent. Nothing!

I think that regular rebuild clock of 3 years should start this year as year 1. No franchise QB = No real rebuilding.

Seriously. Does some 2 bit lawyer's blog/opinion count as 'news' worthy? with his only source of authority consisting of "living in the area for a couple years" If Snyder fires Mike after this year, absolutely no legitimate coach would want to come here.

This isn't in the "Breaking News" forum...it's in the Stadium forum, where "Paloffs is now!" generates 14,000 posts in a week and a half.

I don't agree. You have to look at the situation of your own. Not the standard of others. Shanahan took a team with no QB, not all the draft picks, and cap problems. It was the owner's fault for that. Not Shanahan's. He has got an direction now with the youngest deepest team we have had in years. If Snyder fire Mike this team will be garbage for another 6 years.

This isn't in the "Breaking News" forum...it's in the Stadium forum, where "Paloffs is now!" generates 14,000 posts in a week and a half.

This is beyond insignificant though. I feel disgusted even going to his site and generating traffic for him.

I don't agree. You have to look at the situation of your own. Not the standard of others. Shanahan took a team with no QB, not all the draft picks, and cap problems. It was the owner's fault for that. Not Shanahan's. He has got an direction now with the youngest deepest team we have had in years. If Snyder fire Mike this team will be garbage for another 6 years.

Oh, I'm not saying it would be a good choice. What I'm saying is that he would have candidates available and decent candidates. The stink of tempermental owner is probably not going to be eminating from him if he gave a coach three years and that guy wound up averaging a .300 winning percentage all three years.

Now, I don't want Shanny fired nor do I think he should be, but if he completely falls on his face and loses the team... I think that Snyder could fire him without looking like a bad guy or a fool and good candidates would be interested in coming. After all, we have some very attractive pieces at this point. A potentially dominant pass rush, a very high potential qb, and multiple hundred yard rushing backs. That's far from a bare cupboard.

Now, if Snyder fired Shanahan and Allen, I think some coaches might back off for fear that Snyder was planning to put his GM cap on again.

No way Shanny gets fired I mean the man has done one hell of a job cleaning up other morons messes. For all the hating on Synder that goes on, not that it hasn't been deserved in the past, no one can deny he has been making an effort to give us what we have asked for. I know Synder has made some completely asinine decisions in the past but anyone can look at the changes that have been made and see they have been good. Without going into a long drawn out tirade of all he has done all you have to do is look at the players we have now and see the drive and dedication they ate putting into this team. Not even Synder is that irrational to fire a man who has done nothing but good for this organization.

HTTR

Archived