Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will our Redzone scoring % improve? (TDs)

WeBB15

On average, the more successful trips, though, the more points you will score (God, I sound like Madden!). Think of how many 7 or under games we lost last year, and also the effect of momentum changes with 6 rather than 3. Although, that can work both ways; you score a td, and the other team may work harder to score when they get the ball back, for instance.

Undoubtedly, you score more 7's than 3's, your chances of winning are better, and thus, in a given season that may be the difference between 5-11 and 8-8. That's all I'm saying (past statistics duly noted).

There are many factors, and red zone efficiency is one of them, and can (note I am typing 'can', not is or will) be one of the more important ones.

If they get to the redzone the same amount of times as last year, but instead of 41%, they're at 50%, that should be worth a couple victories, at least. And I'm a believer in ebb and flow and what happens at the beginning affecting the end, and scoring on those opportunties can change the entire nature of what comes after it.

The problem we've had in banging it in with a ZBS scheme is that we had no significant threat that kept enough guys from showing were they were not supposed to be. The ZBS is pretty much based on the concept that no matter what the defensive guy does, he's wrong. This only works when you consistently get numbers which you tends to be true when the backside and deep guys have to make sure there is no alternative threat.

I agree with this to an extent and certainly I think having a QB with the ability to challenge the defense with his speed will mean defenses can't commit defenders against our red zone run game the way they have been able to. I do though think that even with RGIII in the redzone you just have less time to set up the outside run game which is our staple and because space is compressed there are just more defenders close to LOS to provide run support and fills than between the 20's. I just think that to be a really good run team in the redzone you need to ability to put a hat on a hat and drive some folks off the LOS with a back who can make the tough yards inside the tackles.

Now later last year with Royster as the primary back we used some inside zone concepts coupled with some 3 receiver sets. It worked really well - NCL did a thread on this recently. I think that points the way to what we might do in the redzone - use more spread formations rather than just lining up in goalline, get the defense to commit to covering the width of the field and then run inside zone with play action off that to get RGIII outside with the freedom to run or pass.

I agree with this to an extent and certainly I think having a QB with the ability to challenge the defense with his speed will mean defenses can't commit defenders against our red zone run game the way they have been able to. I do though think that even with RGIII in the redzone you just have less time to set up the outside run game which is our staple and because space is compressed there are just more defenders close to LOS to provide run support and fills than between the 20's. I just think that to be a really good run team in the redzone you need to ability to put a hat on a hat and drive some folks off the LOS with a back who can make the tough yards inside the tackles.

Now later last year with Royster as the primary back we used some inside zone concepts coupled with some 3 receiver sets. It worked really well - NCL did a thread on this recently. I think that points the way to what we might do in the redzone - use more spread formations rather than just lining up in goalline, get the defense to commit to covering the width of the field and then run inside zone with play action off that to get RGIII outside with the freedom to run or pass.

I agree. I would think going to a spread formation would put the appropriate stress on the defense and putting the shotgun twist would put multiple running threat angles in the backfield while going with those multiple receiver sets.

What we will have this year, which I'm not sure we have had for 10+ years , is a QB who is smart enough and understands the system well enough, to audible at he line when he sees an obvious defensive mistake....and then take advantage of it.

We'll just be too smart with too many weapons this year. Red zone scoring will become almost automatic.

What we will have this year, which I'm not sure we have had for 10+ years , is a QB who is smart enough and understands the system well enough, to audible at he line when he sees an obvious defensive mistake....and then take advantage of it.

We'll just be too smart with too many weapons this year. Red zone scoring will become almost automatic.

Rex reads coverages and understands the system much better than RGIII at this point - what he lacks is the athletic ability or arm to take advantage of what he sees. That and the self awareness to understand his own limitations .....

Finally nothing is automatic in the NFL, but with a QB with the ability of RGIII as he develops in our system our chances of success will increase significantly.

Rex reads coverages and understands the system much better than RGIII at this point - what he lacks is the athletic ability or arm to take advantage of what he sees. That and the self awareness to understand his own limitations .....

Finally nothing is automatic in the NFL, but with a QB with the ability of RGIII as he develops in our system our chances of success will increase significantly.

Agree MC. I guess my point is that RG will be able to fuse his knowledge of the play book with an understanding of what the "D" is up too and adjust correctly, ala P Manning.

Can't say Sexy had that ability.

I mean, we were 29th last year right?

Unless we're expecting to end up in the bottom 4, we don't really have anywhere to go but up.

We're going to have several legitimate threats at WR this year. We're going to have 3 RBs who can jump in at any time and play, assuming THT is healthy. And that's in addition to Davis, who crates mismatches. And of course, RGIII presents a serious problem for defenses too. We might not be top 10 or anything, but we should improve to middle of the pack, and have more opportunities does there too.

Pete Prisco say no, apparently nothing has changed in that department and the team is worse off. I say **** Prisco and the team is greatly improved on Offense by the fact that they have a QB that can throw the ball to a spot and not an area.

Man, Prisco believes that they'll be good enough for 3-13. :doh: A lot of what that clown says or writes makes absolutely no sense. RG3 is and will be the difference for this offense. The guy is so dynamic, I am giddy as hell about what he's going to bring to this team.

What is a red zone trip? I know in the NFL, the red zone is inside the 20 and the calculation for the % is touch downs / RZ trips. Is a 4th down at the 14 considered a red zone trip even though the previous LOS was the 21? I know Walsh vocally favored calling plays designed to score a TD on just about every play after you got to the 25 (about where he much felt that a FG try should almost always be good). I know that this is part of the reason Shanahan likes receivers who are good at YAC. Instead of only having a touchdown chance be sending the receiver into the EZ and/or getting behind the defense, he's got a good chance of scoring even if he's not behind the defense and/or not in the EZ.

Archived