Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ProFootballWeekly.com: RG3 can rev up Redskins' running backs too

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/07/20/rg3-can-rev-up-redskins-running-backs-too

QB Robert Griffin III already has had a great effect on the Redskins before playing a single game. But now that he is signed, sealed and delivered, Griffin’s on-field effect soon will begin.

We’ve talked about his laser arm. We have discussed his sprinter’s legs. But what has gone overlooked is his effect on the rest of the offense, namely the run game.

[...]A former Broncos assistant who spent time on Redskins head coach Mike Shanahan’s staff in Denver (and who requested anonymity because his current team plays the Redskins this season) told PFW this week that Griffin and his unique set of skills will change the dynamic of the Redskins’ run game.

“I am still trying to figure out if the kid (Griffin) is a special quarterback, but you watch, they’ll bootleg and play action off that (outside) zone series and it will mess up some (defensive assignments),” the assistant said. “You have to respect the run, but you also have to honor (Griffin’s) athleticism.”

The stretch or zone running play is a Shanahan staple. He has made some not-so-special runners — before and after Terrell Davis — look very good with a system that involved agile, cut-blocking linemen; one-cut runners who hit the hole quickly; and athletic quarterbacks who were a threat outside the pocket, either scrambling or throwing downfield.

“They’ll move it very well, pull a guard or a center, make it look like a run,” the coach said. “This will be after they have run the stretch that way once or twice, (to) get the defense thinking a little. Then they’ll either have the high-low pass play off the bootleg, or they’ll run it naked."

Griffin comes to the pros with the reputation of being an excellent deep thrower, too, and if he can establish connections downfield, it will prevent safeties from edging up closer to the line of scrimmage.

“It will kill teams," the coach said. "Pretty soon you start thinking only about the quarterback; you tell your guys to stay home more, and that’s when the backs will dice you up.”

I was thinking about this just today after watching that abomination of a game vs the jets... those moron jet fanswere screaming j.e.t.s. jets jets jets in OUR OWN HOUSE!

I had forgotten about that.. Anyway after watching Rexy get roughed up that game, It was refreshing to think about how RG3 is gonna wear defenses out chasing him all over the place on the boots and waggles.

And on top of that his speed getting to the top of his drop should be 2x as fast as Grossman, giving him more time to make reads and deliver the ball, I think the o-line will look ok because of that.

Cant wait for the season to start!

We already have anonymous assistant coaches who will be playing us this year worried about what we have the potential to do...... I highly dought that this time last year there were any assisant coaches worried about the redskins..... Like everyone else I can not wait for this season to get started.....

HTTR everyone!!!!!

I think RG3 could very well lead the team in rushing this year...... I think the yardage will be split between Helu, Royster and Hightower...

Not only do I disagree, I hope you are 100% wrong. It could get him hurt and would be detrimental to any long term plans for this year and beyond. RGIII needs to use his feet to get yardage now and then to keep D's honest. The team needs one or two of those backs to have more yards than RG IMO.

Not only do I disagree, I hope you are 100% wrong. It could get him hurt and would be detrimental to any long term plans for this year and beyond. RGIII needs to use his feet to get yardage now and then to keep D's honest. The team needs one or two of those backs to have more yards than RG IMO.

I agree..... And I would be shocked if coach didnt feel the same way...... I would put my money on Helu leading the team in rushing yards this year.

No matter my draft position, I'm choosing RG #1 in this years FF league.

i just have to..

i have a feeling i might shed some tears of joy, at some point, this year.. its pathetic, i know.. hopefully no one will think less of me, afterwards..

*boo boo lip* hail..

Agreed.

If RG3 lead the team in rushing this season, it would mean one or more of 3 things:

1) The OL must not be very good, forcing him to run more.

2) Our RBs can't be relied on, forcing RG3 to take a greater role.

and the worse......

3) RG3 is running a lot because Shanahan feels he isn't passing well.

I wouldn't want any of those things to be true, and I don't want us to turn into the Eagles South. RG3's career wouldn't last 5 years.

I agree 100% and hope I am wrong too... my thought was more that the yards would be spread out than RG3 running an abundance... I dont think it would be impossible to see RG3 with 700 yards and Helu/Hightower around that number as well, with royster chipping in yardage too... hopefully I am wrong.... but as long as he is running at the right times and running smart the yardage doesnt matter.... Cam had 700 last year, and they have two good runningbacks as well...

I was just saying I think it is possible... I do agree with your points about injury and also he needs to develop and learn to stay in the pocket....

Don't have too high expectations for this year. Its in year 2 and 3 where this will really start to get fun

If the defense and the rest of the offense do not take a step back, just a performance by RG3 that is only marginally better than our QBs last year will put us at the 8-9 win mark which is about what I expect. I don't think that's high expectations for year 1.

---------- Post added July-22nd-2012 at 10:08 AM ----------

Agreed.

If RG3 lead the team in rushing this season, it would mean one or more of 3 things:

1) The OL must not be very good, forcing him to run more.

2) Our RBs can't be relied on, forcing RG3 to take a greater role.

and the worse......

3) RG3 is running a lot because Shanahan feels he isn't passing well.

I wouldn't want any of those things to be true, and I don't want us to turn into the Eagles South. RG3's career wouldn't last 5 years.

Yep, if RG3 has to move, he should be a scramble not a runner (at least we hope). You want the stretch zone to hit big? You also want the backside DBs to stay home. You can best accomplish that goal when the backside DBs are having to seriously worry about the pass off the boot.

---------- Post added July-22nd-2012 at 10:14 AM ----------

Love the thoughts, but do we have the linemen to do it?

What the man is saying is that the boot threat will get us numbers on the play side. You got numbers and you don't need to be great if the RB makes the right reads. If you can design your offense to overload the defense with responsibilities, you don't need to be the better athletes.

No matter my draft position, I'm choosing RG #1 in this years FF league.

i just have to..

i have a feeling i might shed some tears of joy, at some point, this year.. its pathetic, i know.. hopefully no one will think less of me, afterwards..

*boo boo lip* hail..

Don't do it. Its a homer pick and first year QBs throw a ton of INTs the majority of the time. You wont need to waste your first round pick on RGIII, he should be a backup on anyones roster starting the season.

The fun part of this scenario is when he rolls and turns the corner....he can possibly out run the DB's.... and if not, just step out. PLUS, the DB's have to be wary of him flicking a pass when the come up to help. I think he gets huge yardages in certain games with minimal contact. Hell most QB's get their injuries getting sacked in the pocket...not scrambling.

Archived