Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Timing is right for asking for FREE NFL Ticket....

ybnorml

DIRECTV and Viacom are having a dispute causing DIRECTV to drop their channels which include Nickeloden and Comedy Central.

980 AM suggested the time is right to ask for NFL Ticket.

I called and said the kids miss Nick and I miss Comedy Central and was thinking about going to FIOS.

The rep said she would give me $5 off for 3 months for the lost channels, I said how about a little more like FREE NFL Ticket and she said she would check.

She got back and said if I kept DIRECTV for one year, she would give me the Ticket.

I said how about $5 off for the year you want me to stay and she said she would give me $10 off for 12 months plus the NFL Ticket.

I go to all home games so I miss half the games on the Ticket so I don't order it.

Timing is right for this now, good luck. :logo::point2sky:logo:

Or you could just pay for it.

Why does everyone think that DirecTV owes them Sunday Ticket every year?

No one ever claimed they were 'owed' anything.

DirecTV will gladly give you discounts and free packages if you ask as part of their customer retention program when your contract is out. They do this to keep customers from swapping providers who all offer new customer pricing.

It's only common sense to call up and ask for it if you want it, all cable/satellite providers negotiate rates with their subscribers.

Toe Jam,

Maybe you missed the part that said I miss half of the programing since I go to the games. They wouldn't do half off.

I should have figured there would be a young jerk responding when I was trying to save ESer's some cash.

Maybe you missed the part that said I miss half of the programing since I go to the games. They wouldn't do half off.

I should have figured there would be a young jerk responding when I was trying to save ESer's some cash.

Well I'm sorry, but I see something like Sunday Ticket as a luxury.

Seems to me that if DTV keeps handing it out to subscribers then they're going to have a hard time making money off of it and in turn will jack the rates up for everyone.

BTW, I'm not that young.

Seems to me that if DTV keeps handing it out to subscribers then they're going to have a hard time making money off of it and in turn will jack the rates up for everyone.

Their entire service is a 'luxury', no one *needs* satellite television. :)

It's not like they get nothing out of the deal, they give you discounts and free packages in exchange for you verbally agreeing to a contract with them that guarantees they get your money for another 1-2 years and if you try and back out they hit you with a nice hefty fee.

Negotiating down your cable/satellite bill isn't like stealing from a charity or something....heh.

Actually, ST is more of a way to keep customers... They might lose 10% of their business without it. They should give it out for free (if you want it), knowing you're trapped with them for another year.

Actually, ST is more of a way to keep customers... They might lose 10% of their business without it. They should give it out for free (if you want it), knowing you're trapped with them for another year.

Your on to something ION, but I would be it is a lot higher than 10%. The remote sucks, the reaction time is horrible and I only put up with the lang time because of the ticket, something I bet more than 50% agree with.

---------- Post added July-11th-2012 at 10:07 PM ----------

i got i free last year and paid the $200 this year for it. i refuse, however, to dish out an extra $100 for the redzone channel and the fantasy app.

i will miss both, but not for a $100.

You should not have to pay for RZ with the ticket.

Or you could just pay for it.

Why does everyone think that DirecTV owes them Sunday Ticket every year?

They want me to pay $300 this year to renew. The problem with the Sunday Ticket is it is just too damn expensive. I don't need to pay $300 to watch 8 away Redskins games. Sure I watch a couple other games during the year. I still think a lot more people would buy if it only cost $100 for all your team's divisional games....you know all games for teams in your team's division. Or maybe just for the NFC games. Do I really give a rats ass about San Diego or Oakland or Minnesota games, etc. Only if the Redskins are playing them. I have to haggle every year with them to get a discount or threaten to drop it or my service. It's a real pain to deal with the retention folks but it is how DirecTV plays the game. Either you swallow what they want to charge or take an hour out of your day to call and threaten to drop service. It's all part of THEIR game....not mine. $100 or even $150 is reasonable and I would never argue about it. $300 for 8 games...highway robbery.

I actually called them the other night to drop Sunday ticket, they offered me the NFL redzone and sunday ticket and all their live fantasy on screen mumbo jumbo all for 24.99 a month.

I am only 12 months into my 24 month contract so I dunno if I have any leverage in getting my bill reduced but yeah if you want to get cheapo sunday ticket it seems pretty easy.

i got i free last year and paid the $200 this year for it. i refuse, however, to dish out an extra $100 for the redzone channel and the fantasy app.

i will miss both, but not for a $100.

I need to call to cancel the redzone and I don't even have internet on my phone, so it's useless to me. I just want my games. This will officially be my last year in Fantasy Football anyway. We're pulling the plug on it after 22 years. Yes, we started in the 1991-92 season, the year we won the SB.

They offered it to me for 4 payments of 36.99....Too much....then a 10 dollar a month discount for 6 months which wouldve left it at 26.99.....nope....she then offered it for free :)

Then she offered a music channel (paladium) to make up for the loss of BET MTV VH1, and i asked for a movie channel package instead and got 3 free months of showtime :)

Thank you OP for the thread!

I, for one, was kinda ticked off at the loss of Viacom channels. I called to see about cancelling service, and before I even got to that point, they went out of their way to find a better deal, than I already had, saving me $20/mo and adding some premiums. I have a renewed appreciation for DirecTV, and how they handle their customers. Is their services the best? Arguably not, but they are treating me well, so I will continue on with DirecTV. That's hard to come by in that industry. Verizon FIOS reps would do no such thing, and neither would cox (all that's available in my area).

BTW, I'm not that young.

24 is pretty young. We need to enjoy it while it lasts.

Besides, NFL ST is a highway robbery any way you slice it. Nothing wrong with people trying to get a discount on that.

DirecTV stole over $400 from me, and it took a class action lawsuit and a request from the Massachusetts attorney general to get it back. They falsely billed me for four months of service and sent the "bills" to an invalid address that was never mine (I made the mistake of signing up for auto pay). Yup. They did. And as the class action suit shows, I wasn't the only one.

Those ****ers have a history of atrocious customer service and amoral business dealings, above and beyond (below and beyond?) what other service providers do. So kudos to you for getting stuff for free from DirecTV.

They offered it to me for 4 payments of 36.99....Too much....then a 10 dollar a month discount for 6 months which wouldve left it at 26.99.....nope....she then offered it for free :)

Then she offered a music channel (paladium) to make up for the loss of BET MTV VH1, and i asked for a movie channel package instead and got 3 free months of showtime :)

Thank you OP for the thread!

No problem, glad to help

$300 is the stupid price much like what new car dealers refer to their sticker price. You get serious with them on the phone they will drop the price, but you can't sound wishy-washy.

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?365906-Yahoo-Sports-Robert-Griffin-III-s-arm-has-already-earned-legendary-status-at-Redskins-camp&p=9005135&viewfull=1#post9005135

I am not owed anything. But just like taxes, there is no reason why I should be asked to pay more than other people, especially after being someone who never stole a channel form them for over 15 years and paid his bill every month. Where I live, you only see the Skins if they're on Monday night football, playin gon Thanksgiving day or playing against the Gnats. Every year the price has gone up. It's still better than cable, but there would be a lot more Dish subscribers if there was some competition introduced into being able to see the NFL Sunday Ticket. Since DirecTV is a monopoly, I don't have any problem asking for a "loyal customer" discount.

I am not owed anything. But just like taxes, there is no reason why I should be asked to pay more than other people, especially after being someone who never stole a channel form them for over 15 years and paid his bill every month. Where I live, you only see the Skins if they're on Monday night football, playin gon Thanksgiving day or playing against the Gnats. Every year the price has gone up. It's still better than cable, but there would be a lot more Dish subscribers if there was some competition introduced into being able to see the NFL Sunday Ticket. Since DirecTV is a monopoly, I don't have any problem asking for a "loyal customer" discount.

Exactly. The only reason they charge $300 is because there will be lots of people that will do it without hesitation. They could set the price at $500 and they'd still make million$ off of people who will click the "send payment" button without hesitation or complaint of the price. Bartering for a discount is only common sense.

DIRECTV and Viacom are having a dispute causing DIRECTV to drop their channels which include Nickeloden and Comedy Central.

980 AM suggested the time is right to ask for NFL Ticket.

I called and said the kids miss Nick and I miss Comedy Central and was thinking about going to FIOS.

The rep said she would give me $5 off for 3 months for the lost channels, I said how about a little more like FREE NFL Ticket and she said she would check.

She got back and said if I kept DIRECTV for one year, she would give me the Ticket.

I said how about $5 off for the year you want me to stay and she said she would give me $10 off for 12 months plus the NFL Ticket.

I go to all home games so I miss half the games on the Ticket so I don't order it.

Timing is right for this now, good luck. :logo::point2sky:logo:

Too funny I received the same offer!!

So what do you do when you go buy a car? Everyone pays something different, right? You have to negotiate. DISH does the same thing; and to a lesser extent so does Comcast and Verizon. You have to negotiate to buy your home, hire a contractor for home improvements, etc. No one pays the same for those things either. It's just the way those business operate. If you don't like it, don't buy.

And DISH does not have the NFL Ticket because they wouldn't pay what DirecTV would pay the NFL. So go complain to your DISH provider. The NFL and DirecTV are not in business to make it cheaper for you and me. DirecTV has lowered the price this year hoping to make up the different in revenue with volume. IF it works this year, we may see an even lower price next year.

You are not guaranteed to pay the same price everyone else pays for anything. If you shop at Sears and I shop at Walmart...I pay less. It's capitalism. Buyers have to shop around for the best value and the items they want.

Archived