Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Timing is right for asking for FREE NFL Ticket....

ybnorml

I happen to be moving this week...I already got free nfl sunday ticket (2nd year in a row) and haggled them in to free redzone as well. By haggle I mean I asked them once if I could have free redzone...the lady said YES!

Eventually, the NFL will offer a "Sunday Ticket" option direct from their website in addition to the contract with DirecTV. They are already getting close to HD quality and DVR functionality with the LIVE preseason package. This will obviously reduce the asking price for DirecTV, but it will allow them to gain more subs from non-DirecTV customers. Prices to the customer should go down as a result.

You guys do know that you can watch ST on a PS3 now, no need for satellite services. And Viacom is raising their rates and satellite is holding firm so they don't have to pass it on to their customers. I had ST but once I saw the REDZONE their was no need for me to keep ST, REDZONE is the best thing since sliced bread.

How is DirecTV "greedy". IT is trying to hold the line against Viacom which is asking for an extra 1 billion dollars in fees from DirecTV which really means from you and me. Frankly, I appreciate DirecTV trying to hold the line on the fees that some of these networks/companies are demanding. DirecTV is also trying to breakup the packaging of stations. Why should I pay for MTV and other stations I never watch? That is required by Viacom....not DirecTV.

Well, as far as THEY are letting people know, this is the story. I would bet that both CEOs are playing golf somewhere, talking about everything BUT this ordeal. But then again, maybe its the conspiracists theory in me that thinks that.

But you do have a point, Viacom may be setting their price too high, and theres really only about 10 channels I watch anyway, but this whole thing could have been worked out long ago, had it not been for 2 companies refusing to sit down and settle this...

Both sides say they have been negotiating for months. So I don't think they are both lying when billions of dollars in revenue is at stake. Just not logical to NOT negotiate. Now disagreeing over how much to pay Viacom and waiting for the other side to blink does not mean they are not negotiating. DirecTV does not want to absorb the increased cost for channels whose viewership are sinking according to the Nielson ratings nor pass the cost along to the customers. So I'm on DirecTV's side. The Viacom's of the world demand the cable and satellite carriers carry ALL of their channels when most of us only want to pay for a couple of those stations. Why should I pay for MTV, VHS, Nick, etc. that I never watch. Highly doubt the CEOs are ignoring this. Means way too much money to both. I bet it is at the top of their to do list.

---------- Post added July-15th-2012 at 01:43 PM ----------

You guys do know that you can watch ST on a PS3 now, no need for satellite services. And Viacom is raising their rates and satellite is holding firm so they don't have to pass it on to their customers. I had ST but once I saw the REDZONE their was no need for me to keep ST, REDZONE is the best thing since sliced bread.

IF you are a Redskins fan, Red Zone is worthless. Some of us outside the DMV want to see the entire Redskins game...not just when they or their opponent scores a TD. And most of us over 30 don't play PS3 any more.

IF you are a Redskins fan, Red Zone is worthless. Some of us outside the DMV want to see the entire Redskins game...not just when they or their opponent scores a TD. And most of us over 30 don't play PS3 any more.

Well, you should play PS3. :D Seriously, for the price of one season of NFL Ticket and contract with DT, you can get a PS3, which not only allows you to use many online apps through your TV and/or home entertainment system (Pandora, netflix, Sunday Ticket, etc,) but also plays DVD's, Blu-rays, 3D Blu-Rays and can store music, videos, pictures, etc. Plus, there is the bonus of playing games on it, too, if you want. I'm lucky enough to get all the Redskins games broad-casted on my local Fox or CBS affiliate, but if I didn't, I would probably go the ST route through my PS3.

Thank you, ES. Thank you very much. After reading this thread, and spending 52 minutes on the phone, I just got NFL Sunday Ticket for $20.

Though I read that many of you got the Ticket for free, after haggling and being on the phone for what seemed like forever, the furthest my "retention department" guy said he could do was a one-time credit for $180. I was tired of being on the phone and my dinner was getting cold, so I just accepted. And with Sunday Ticket being just $199 this year, I'm fine with paying just $20 for it. Thanks again ES for encouraging folks to call.

::edit:: after reading the post below mine, I forgot to mention I was also was given a free HD DVR :)

But sheesh, some of you got Sunday ticket for free, AND a $30 disount for 12 months? Maybe I should've stayed on the phone longer. :ols:

Thanks for the heads up ES Fam. Well after 3 transfers and a lil over an hour on and off hold. I got a $50 instant credit, free Sunday ticket, $30 off my bill for 12 months, 2nd hd dvr to add to my whole home dvr. To me that was a major come up.

I must have gotten the worst rep when I threatened to cancel. I live in the 'Baltimore' Market so they play the stupid Ravens games and BLACKOUT the Skins. My neighbor 2 doors down, has fios and gets BOTH Fox/CBS DC and Baltimore. I vented this to them, and they said that's impossible no way the nfl would allow it (liscensing?).

So my contract was a week to ending so All I was asking was free ticket in exchange for renewal. Nope he offered $175 and that was the BEST they could do. I told him that "Ok next wednesday I'm cancelling, and setting up Fios".

I guess he thought I was bluffing. Fios installed 2 days later and cancelled. What's sad, is that they asked me what would have kept me. I said ST for free. To which they offered it. Lady, too little, TOO LATE (Fios already installed).

I guess it's all who you get because she was excellent (and so were the 10 follow up calls to retain me). I will miss some of the out of market games, but I get skins games, plus the ravens and slingbox makes it all mobile ALL cheaper than what my bill was.

I must have gotten the worst rep when I threatened to cancel. I live in the 'Baltimore' Market so they play the stupid Ravens games and BLACKOUT the Skins. My neighbor 2 doors down, has fios and gets BOTH Fox/CBS DC and Baltimore. I vented this to them, and they said that's impossible no way the nfl would allow it (liscensing?).

So my contract was a week to ending so All I was asking was free ticket in exchange for renewal. Nope he offered $175 and that was the BEST they could do. I told him that "Ok next wednesday I'm cancelling, and setting up Fios".

I guess he thought I was bluffing. Fios installed 2 days later and cancelled. What's sad, is that they asked me what would have kept me. I said ST for free. To which they offered it. Lady, too little, TOO LATE (Fios already installed).

I guess it's all who you get because she was excellent (and so were the 10 follow up calls to retain me). I will miss some of the out of market games, but I get skins games, plus the ravens and slingbox makes it all mobile ALL cheaper than what my bill was.

When you don't hear what you want to hear.. just hangout up and start the process all over again.

When you don't hear what you want to hear.. just hangout up and start the process all over again.

I was HANGING out.

j/k.

I still am a fan of DTV and was in their boat (thier menu is the best out of the top 3). However my better half whom works nights had enough of the signal drops in the day.

And yes I did call back (3 times) and I guess because he had given that offer it was c-blocking DTV from any other offer (outside of retentions) and I had enough.

Best 19 mins I have spent on the phone. Just got Sunday Ticket for free, including RedZone. And got them to throw in whole home DVR for free for 12 months (yea yea, I know its only $3 a month, but still its free). I wouldn't wait long before calling if you want to get it for free. You never know when Viacom and DTV will strike a deal. If you are even close to your contract end, they will really do anything to keep you.

Strike while the iron is HOT!!!!!!!

(PS...this is my second year in a row of getting Sunday Ticket for free. Last year we moved and used their moving deal, and got it for free)

^ yep, we got it last year too for a moving deal.

I have to admit, DTV has great customer service, and they'll bend pretty easily if you keep on them for discounts and stuff.

Probably the best cable/satellite provider I've ever had.

I think someone else already said it, but I would think that it is way more than 10%. I'm not kidding when I say that every single person I know that has DTV has it for no other reason than the Sunday Ticket. A buddy of mine who moved out to BFE in West Virginia and can't get cable out there, went with Dish to save money, and now just get the ST through his PS3. If that option wasn't available, he would have gotten DTV.

Are you sure they are doing it through PS3 this year? I hope so...

Wanted to come in and share my experience. My contract was up a few days from now. If anyone is about to become a month to month subscriber, now's the time to call.

Received $35 a month off my bill for a year, free HD-DVR receiver upgrade with free DVR for 3 months, free On Demand Cinema Kit with free installation, and free Sunday Ticket all for renewing.

They'll try to get you to bite on the first offer but be firm. Also make sure they process the credits they originally mention. They told me about $10 off for 24 months then spoke again with it as 12 months. Be aware, polite, and firm.

On the phone for 15 minutes. Complained about the loss of all the Viacom channels and was immediately offered Showtime for a year.

Turned that down. Asked about the Sunday Ticket and they offered me Sunday Ticket Max half off($150) right out of the chute.

Asked them if they could do better than that, cause I didn't need all the extras, just the Ticket. Offered me the basic Ticket for $100(half off).

Asked: How about for free? Put on hold.

Came back in about a minute and gave me free Ticket and threw in the Redzone Channel for free.

It pays to bargain shop gang!! Thanks to the OP for bringing this topic up!!

:cheers:

I called in today and they knocked it down to $99.00 and I asked if they could do better and he said he would give me a $100 credit. So got the ticket for free this year. I didn't even mention the whole Viacom thing. I have been with directv for 12 years and I told them that I think they should do something for me since I have been a loyal customer. Doesn't hurt to ask they can only say no.

On the phone for 15 minutes. Complained about the loss of all the Viacom channels and was immediately offered Showtime for a year.

Turned that down. Asked about the Sunday Ticket and they offered me Sunday Ticket Max half off($150) right out of the chute.

Asked them if they could do better than that, cause I didn't need all the extras, just the Ticket. Offered me the basic Ticket for $100(half off).

Asked: How about for free? Put on hold.

Came back in about a minute and gave me free Ticket and threw in the Redzone Channel for free.

It pays to bargain shop gang!! Thanks to the OP for bringing this topic up!!

:cheers:

You are quite welcome, enjoy..;:logo::point2sky:logo:

I was on for 17 minutes. I got NFL ticket for $99, plus $10 off for 12 months for my HD access and then another $10 off for 2 months for the loss of the Viacomm channels. So I am paying $99, but getting $140 back over the course of 1 year. Pretty good.

Or you could just pay for it.

Why does everyone think that DirecTV owes them Sunday Ticket every year?

The fact that these companies ARE willing to offer free services should tell you how much they over-charge consumers for their product to begin with. I'm sure you pay full price for everything and NEVER take advantage of an opportunity to save some greenbacks. Child please.

Archived