Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Top 5 No. 1 Draft Picks in the NBA Lottery Era (1985-prsent)

CrypticVillain

246594_455204427831738_1969195359_n.jpg

Yes, I did take this idea from ESPN's Facebook page.....

I think I would go:

Duncan

Lebron

Shaq

Ewing

Iverson

Duncan is number one because he has owned the league since he was drafted. Lebron is ahead of Shaq just because I think he is a better player than Shaq. Shaq was a force and could have easily been number one, but he gets to three. I put Ewing over AI because the dude was a beast. I know that I often put him low on my all-time great Centers, but I know that his skills were great. AI was a beast and if he won one championship that would make him an elite player amongst greats.

Adding the list so people will know who are the candidates....

No. 1 NBA Draft Picks

1985 Patrick Ewing

1986 Brad Daugherty

1987 David Robinson

1988 Danny Manning

1989 Pervis Ellison

1990 Derrick Coleman

1991 Larry Johnson

1992 Shaquille O'Neal

1993 Chris Webber

1994 Glenn Robinson

1995 Joe Smith

1996 Allen Iverson

1997 Tim Duncan

1998 Michael Olowokandi

1999 Elton Brand

2000 Kenyon Martin

2001 Kwame Brown

2002 Yao Ming

2003 LeBron James

2004 Dwight Howard

2005 Andrew Bogut

2006 Andrea Bargnani

2007 Greg Oden

2008 Derrick Rose

2009 Blake Griffin

2010 John Wall

2011 Kyrie Irving

I have no argument about this list ML, except I would put Shaq in front of Lebron just by a hair. When Shaq came to the league, Orlando was ****. They actually finished 41-41 in his 1st year, and second year when they traded for Penny, they won 50 games, but was swept out in the 1st round. It wasn't until they acquired Ho Grant, and made the Finals in his 3rd year. That's why I would put him over Lebron right now.

we aren't talking about busts :P

Busts don't bring in Caron Butler and then Pau Gasol. Obviously dudes a beast. Just underappreciated.

But seriously:

1. Shaq

2. Duncan

3. Lebron

4. Robinson

5. Ewing/Iverson

I'm torn on #5. Neither won titles but both were great. Both are surefire HOFers.

I'm torn on #5. Neither won titles but both were great. Both are surefire HOFers.

I'd agree with ML and go Iverson there. Could be a bias opinion though because I loved Allen Iverson. 6'0" scorer who could go to the rim at will. He was amazing to watch.

Duncan has to be #1 right?

Shaq

---------- Post added June-26th-2012 at 09:50 AM ----------

I'd agree with ML and go Iverson there. Could be a bias opinion though because I loved Allen Iverson. 6'0" scorer who could go to the rim at will. He was amazing to watch.

Strictly as a player, I think I agree. It's all the extra stuff that came with Iverson that had me put Ewing right there with him.

Shaq

---------- Post added June-26th-2012 at 09:50 AM ----------

Strictly as a player, I think I agree. It's all the extra stuff that came with Iverson that had me put Ewing right there with him.

It's close. Duncan was the better all-around player though.

It's all the extra stuff that came with Iverson that had me put Ewing right there with him.

I hear you loud and clear.

"Are we talking about practice?? Practice? Not the game, we talkin about practice."

The horrible rap cd

Arrests

Baby mama drama

He showed up on the court though. I'm gonna have to go and watch some of his Youtube videos now. Especially the Michael Jordan ankle breaker video. He almost juked Jordan out of his shoes haha.

I put Lebron over Shaq just based on skills alone.

I put Duncan over Shaq because Duncan wasn't probably as dominant as Shaq was, but he was more consistent for a longer period of time. Plus you can't deny the All-NBA 1st Team and All-NBA Defensive 1st team for his first 13 years in his career. That is craziness.

Why does or should his college game have anything to do with his status as a NBA player ? I disagree with that T.E.G.

I never liked Robinson. He wouldn't crack my top 5 in this situtation.

I think I would have to go with:

Duncan

LeBron

Shaq

A.I.

Ewing

I would put Duncan ahead of Shaq because Shaq mailed in so many games. Shaq at his peak was better' date=' but Duncan's peak was longer.

1. Duncan

2. Shaq

3. Lebron (he may be #2 next year and #1 when all is said and done)

4. Robinson

5. Howard

6. Rose

7. Ewing

8. Iverson

9. Ming

10. Webber

I wanted to put Yao in my top 5 so bad. He was about to become a beast. His post game was getting there. His mid-range game was crazy imo. I was so blown when he kept on getting injured and then retiring....

---------- Post added June-26th-2012 at 10:55 AM ----------

At least someone has Shaq right

Come GAC, you know Shaq is my man, but I can't put him over Duncan. If he played harder, it would be a no-brainer. Since he didn't, you gotta put Duncan over him. And Lebron is just a better player than him.

If there is a draft, all of these players are in it, I'm taking Shaq #1 overall. I think he's the most guaranteed path to a championship.

---------- Post added June-26th-2012 at 10:59 AM ----------

Shaq really only played hard in maybe three regular seasons. That has to count for something.

And this is just absurd.

---------- Post added June-26th-2012 at 11:01 AM ----------

**** man, didn't realize Shaq made $300 mil in his career. I wonder if that's the record for career earnings (not counting endorsement deals).

I wanted to put Yao in my top 5 so bad. He was about to become a beast. His post game was getting there. His mid-range game was crazy imo. I was so blown when he kept on getting injured and then retiring.

Yao could have been special. He just had so many things working against him.

Once you get in that 7'2 or 7'3 range, you are just simply going to have structural problems. There is really no way around it. Yao was 7'6.

It also didn't help that he played a gazillion games on ****ty Asian basketball courts.

Archived