Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HuffPost: Keith Judd, Texas Inmate, Gets 40 Percent Of Votes Against Obama In West Virginia Democratic Primary

visionary

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/08/keith-judd-texas-inmate-g_n_1501761.html

Keith Judd, Texas Inmate, Gets 40 Percent Of Votes Against Obama In West Virginia Democratic Primary

CHARLESTON, W.Va. — Just how unpopular is President Barack Obama in some parts of the country? Enough that a man in prison in Texas is getting 4 out of 10 votes in West Virginia's Democratic presidential primary.

The inmate, Keith Judd, is serving time at the Beaumont Federal Correctional Institution in Texas for making threats at the University of New Mexico in 1999. With 83 percent of precincts reporting, Obama was receiving 60 percent of the vote to Judd's 40 percent.

Judd was able to get on the state ballot by paying a $2,500 fee and filing a form known as a notarized certification of announcement, said Jake Glance, a spokesman for the Secretary of State's office.

Attracting at least 15 percent of the vote would normally qualify a candidate for a delegate to the Democratic National Convention. But state Democratic Party Executive Director Derek Scarbro said no one has filed to be a delegate for Judd. The state party also believes that Judd has failed to file paperwork required of presidential candidates, but officials continue to research the matter, Scarbro said.

The latest I've heard is that this guy has won 9 counties.

So Obama's getting 60% of the vote. Sounds like all the rest is protest vote (i.e., whoever had been in the primary against him would've gotten it, as it represents "not Obama"). Meh, in the big picture I don't think it means much.

Meh, in the big picture I don't think it means much.

Maybe not, but it does make for an interesting story.

Personally I do think it's a sign of how bad things are going to be for him in WV specifically.

I find it more amusing than predictive on any large scale though.

Is there something I'm missing about Obama?

Perhaps you're color blind?

EDIT: No, that's not to imply race is a factor for everyone who dislikes him. But in the case of West Virginia, I think you could make a strong argument.

Is there something I'm missing about Obama? I mean, I don't always agree with the guy politically, but I just don't understand all the anger toward him.

It's because he's black. I'll probably catch some flack for this but I'm willing to bet that a fair amount of people that hate him don't hate him just for his politics.

And that is not contained to just one state.

It's not just because he's black.

Obama's energy policies and the Environmental Protection Agency's handling of mining-related permits have incurred the wrath of West Virginia's coal industry. With the state the nation's second-biggest producer of this fossil fuel, Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin and Sen. Joe Manchin _both Democrats have championed the industry – have declined to say whether they will support Obama in November.

I'm not sure if they specifically announced this guy was a Texas inmate either. People are probably wanting to vote against Obama for whatever reasons they feel, but I'm sure if they announced the alternative was a Texas inmate some of those votes may switch.

It's sort of like the Alvin Greene campaign in 2010.

It's because he's black. I'll probably catch some flack for this but I'm willing to bet that a fair amount of people that hate him don't hate him just for his politics.

And that is not contained to just one state.

You would be correct, and I see and hear it daily.:(

---------- Post added May-9th-2012 at 08:27 AM ----------

heck Bush W got elected twice.

I still believe he pretty much stole both of those elections.

Can you switch parties and vote in the WV primary?

Seems the GOP race has been sewn up for several weeks, what better way to pass the time than to manipulate the process and feed false info to the people?

~Bang

Can you switch parties and vote in the WV primary?

Seems the GOP race has been sewn up for several weeks, what better way to pass the time than to manipulate the process and feed false info to the people?

~Bang

West Virginia, and Wyoming -- have semi-closed primaries that allow voters to register or change party preference on election day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primary_election

Looks like funny business.

while race certainly can play a factor, obama is definitely been marked as someone who wants to kill the coal industry. like mr. s said, many people probably voted for "anyone but obama" and had no clue this dude was incarcerated. i voted for obama, but not because judd is an inmate, of that i had no clue.

i had no idea you could switch parties on election day in wv. i have no idea how you would do that. when i go vote, it has my party affiliation listed (independent). as an independent, i can request a republican or a democratic ballot if i choose.

Gosh, who'da thunk it.

:rolleyes:

We're a third world nation anymore.

~Bang

Actually, we're getting closer in a lot of areas. We really need to get our act together. Instead, some are just circling the wagons and hoping that they don't run out of ammo.

Actually, we're getting closer in a lot of areas. We really need to get our act together. Instead, some are just circling the wagons and hoping that they don't run out of ammo.

Believe me, I wasn't joking.

~Bang

maryland, according to wiki, is in the same category as wv. he only put wv and wyoming, but if you click the link, 15 states allow you to to do that.

No need for defense..

We've had ridiculous crap in elections as a result of this garbage

remember a couple years ago when an ex-con living in his mother's basement in one of those Carolina states somehow became the senatorial nominee for the dems?

We're a third world nation. Our election process is not much better.

How long before we have Putin-like democracy?

~Bang

Archived