Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thoughts on ESPN Radio 980

taylorsong

I listen to Czabe on AM 910 in Richmond during my commute - he's actually one of the few broadcasters that can muster a chuckle out of me. He has some pretty funny tangents, and doesn't mind being bold.

Funny thing, I HATED that dude when he was with post-game live!

Homers are part of what makes listening to sports radio interesting.

I, for one, can not stand listening to John Thompson. He sucks on the radio.

Tony is a better writer than radio person, and actually a better TV personality.

I would listen to it more if they had more people that aren't homers. As it is, I listen a few hours a day just to stay current with local DC stuff.

With that said, I love having Sirius. NFL Radio and then from there it just gets better.

I'm with Kosher, I don't like JT3 at all. He's an excellent college basketball color guy for the tourney games they broadcast but other then that, no thanks. LOVE Doc Walker though.

I don't mind Sheehan but I can't stand him and Loverro together. That combo just doesn't do it for me. Walker + Sheehan was great, their contrasting styles and chemistry really made for a great show. Sheehan and Loverro though is just a snoozefest. Loverro as a regularly occuring guest is fine but I don't like him as a host.

I don't care for Mitchell one way or another. He can't carry a show but he's fine as a #2/3 guy. He's not that knowledgeable though outside the NFL and he's not the most coherent speaker but he can be entertaining. Chuck Sapienza is underrated and should get more air time.

Kornheiser is...well he's Kornheiser. You're not gunna get a 2 hour sports show with him. But what I love about his show is the consistently different group of people that are there with him. David Aldridge, Gary Braun, Jeanne McManus, etc. Lot of different perspectives and it gets quite entertaining when Kornheiser goes off on one of his random tangents.

Sports Reporters is solid. Czabe and Polin can be the angry old guys every once in a while but for the most part they do a good job. I like Chris Naqi(sp) a lot too. Also, who is it that does the impressions, is it Naqi? The Jerry Jones and David Stern ones are spot on, so hilarious.

If I had to rank the shows I'd rank them:

1. Sports Reporters

2. Kornheiser Show

3. Doc Walker Show

4. Locker Room with the snoozers

My problem with both 980 and 106.7 is that they talk about sports in this order:

1 - Redskins

2 -

3 -

4 -

5 - Caps

6 - Nationals

7 -

8 -

9 - Wizards

I'm a basketball fan and I dislike baseball enough to change the station if the nationals are the subject. While the NBA season is in full swing I really can't stand listening to hours of Peyton Manning garbage or the latest interview with a Nats executive. As a consequence I rarely listen to the local sports stations a lot less during the football offseason.

I'm a basketball fan and I dislike baseball enough to change the station if the nationals are the subject. While the NBA season is in full swing I really can't stand listening to hours of Peyton Manning garbage or the latest interview with a Nats executive. As a consequence I rarely listen to the local sports stations a lot less during the football offseason.

And when they do decide to talk about the Wizards they pick dumbass subjects like could Kentucky beat the Wizards, which national outlets have ran with. :twitch:

And when they do decide to talk about the Wizards they pick dumbass subjects like could Kentucky beat the Wizards, which national outlets have ran with. :twitch:

And most of the hosts know almost nothing about basketball. They can talk for hours about the redskins rebuild strategy but they can't even comment on the wizards. They just make fun of the team. I'm a fan and frankly my opinion on that is "**** your show then".

Homers are part of what makes listening to sports radio interesting.

I, for one, can not stand listening to John Thompson. He sucks on the radio.

Tony is a better writer than radio person, and actually a better TV personality.

I would listen to it more if they had more people that aren't homers. As it is, I listen a few hours a day just to stay current with local DC stuff.

With that said, I love having Sirius. NFL Radio and then from there it just gets better.

You know Thompson retired right? His last show was like two weeks ago. Thank God. God bless the man, he's an local legend, but that was easily my least favorite show on the station. He just didn't do it for me, at all.

Lol, and now Doc Walker and BMitch (his replacement) is my least favorite show. Still, I think they're better than Thompson.

On a sidenote, I'm really starting to get tired of Czabe. Everything is some evil Snyder/Shanahan conspiracy with him. It's like he's physically incapable of opening his mouth and have positive words come out about either of them. (I guess that kills the whole "Snyder owns 980!!!" criticisms though.)

Edit: **** autocorrect

Here would be the perfect 980 lineup.

6am - 9am - New Al Galdi show. If you ever listen on Saturday mornings.....his show is great. He has opinions but they aren't in your face. He doesn't go overboard trying to prove his point. Give me him and a few other guys talking about the sports from the day before.

9am - 11am - Mr. Tony for those who still love his "old guy" stuff.

11am - 1pm - The Sports fix.

1pm- - 4pm - The National Scott Van Pelt Show. Its the best on ESPN Radio already.

4pm - 7pm - The Sports reporters.......back to local stuff

easy peasy

My problem with both 980 and 106.7 is that they talk about sports in this order:

1 - Redskins

2 -

3 -

4 -

5 - Caps

6 - Nationals

7 -

8 -

9 - Wizards

Maybe if the Wizards were relevant they would get more attention

Kornheiser pays the Wizards attention but just mocks their ineptitude and Nick Young's lack of assists (when he was with team)

Typical Kornheiser Wizards rant is about how McGee is incompetent or Young is a clown. Hilarious Kornheiser :)

That station hasn't been the same since the days of Ken Beatrice. "You're Next on Sports Call".

---------- Post added March-30th-2012 at 04:05 PM ----------

You know Thompson retired right? His last show was like two weeks ago. Thank God. God bless the man, he's an local legend, but that was easily my least favorite show on the station. He just didn't do it for me, at all.

Lol, and now Doc Walker and BMitch (his replacement) is my least favorite show. Still, I think they're better than Thompson.

On a sidenote, I'm really starting to get tired of Czabe. Everything is some evil Snyder/Shanahan conspiracy with him. It's like he's physically incapable of opening his mouth and have positive words come out about either of them. (I guess that kills the whole "Snyder owns 980!!!" criticisms though.)

Edit: **** autocorrect

Thats why I stopped listening to them a few years back (shortly after the Gibbs interview). I just couldn't take it. And it got the same way with Lavar and Chad, although I really despise that show for different reasons (they don't just know how to be "nice" to callers). I get home listening to NPR or whatever's on the music side of things.

Maybe if the Wizards were relevant they would get more attention

Kornheiser pays the Wizards attention but just mocks their ineptitude and Nick Young's lack of assists (when he was with team)

Typical Kornheiser Wizards rant is about how McGee is incompetent or Young is a clown. Hilarious Kornheiser :)

I'd like to think local sports talk wouldn't be entirely fair weather. They certainly aren't when it comes to the redskins obviously.

1 - Redskins

2 -

3 -

4 -

5 - Caps

6 - Nationals

7 -

8 -

9 - Wizards

Yeah, and what's really effed up is that We're RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF MARCH MADNESS and I can't hear a legit discussion about the teams involved. The Junkies would occasionally throw in some Terps news, and other shows throw in the occasional Shaka Smart comment, but thats all. No in depth analysis, No Georgetown news, no what if's or bracket talks. Just a bunch of Redskins stuff and hypotheticals. The sports radio in this town is crappy. Ken Beatrice was cool cause we talked about whatever the callers wanted to talk about. I miss those days.

You might be able to listen to 570 but ESPN Radio's national hosts are largely unlistenable. Not a big fan.

Also not a big fan of Brian MItchell either. Coming back today around 3 PM, put on 980 for a second, turned the dial back to classical. Unlistenable

I always liked Scott Jackson...I always thought him, Stern and Gauldi (sp) should do a show together. I think the 'experts' are stale. I still love Doc, but sometimes I can't tell if uses sarcasm to hide his mistakes or if he is just trying to rile people up. I think Shehan (sp) is a know it all blow hard who just talks over people who don't agree with him (including his partner). Andy and Czabe still have good chemistry and have good guests. I love Mr Tony. On a side note, I think LaRon Profit has a bright future ahead of him (maybe just my Maryland bias)

Lets get down to one sports station again with the following lineup:

6-10 am: Junks -- been doing it for a long time and even though they talk a lot about non-sports stuff, banter is still funny

10-12 pm: Funny Danny and Holden Kushner. I don't mind Wise but can't see him doing a show solo like he is now.

12-2 pm: Pollin and Loverro -- let the two old guys hang out for lunch

2-4 pm: B-Mitch and Lavar -- let the two disgruntled ex-Skins have at it

4-7 pm: Czaban and Sheehan -- best in the local area for sports talk

Pretty much take 106.7's morning and 980's afternoon. Retire Mr. Tony already. And give people like Galdi, Russell, and K&R airtime on nights and weekends when there's not a game on.

• 4 months later...

Inside the Locker Room really has to go man. The show really stinks. Scott Jackson is tolerable but Doc and B.Mitch are too old and far removed from football. They offer no insight or analysis and it's because today's game is so different from the one they played. Doc brings too much football macho testoterone without any real knowledge of today's game while B.Mitch is an idiot. I agree SVP would do a whole lot better. Can we get some new homegrown talent? It's ridiculous how we recycle the same old talent-less group of ex-Skins year-in and year-out. I can't believe how much sports radio sucks in DC and all my friends from Chicago, NY and Philly agree. Thom Loverro still has to go. I can't believe he is still on the air. It's especially torturous when he is by himself and w/o Sheehan. Replace him with Laron Profit who is surprisingly good at talking football.

On a side note, my thread got moved to the Tailgate. How can the mods be so hypocritical. You guys know that there is a "I Hate Chad and Lavar" thread that's been on the front page of The Stadium for three years running.

Archived