Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Contact Roger Goodell to express our displeasure

ManleyMann7271

If you do call or email, please don't be a jerk about it. That won't help. State your case in a reasoned way. Represent us well. At one time, Redskins fans were considered among the most knowledgeable, passionate fans in the NFL. So let's remember that when calling or emailing the commish.
Very good advice Dan T. as always.

If you do call or email, please don't be a jerk about it. That won't help. State your case in a reasoned way. Represent us well. At one time, Redskins fans were considered among the most knowledgeable, passionate fans in the NFL. So let's remember that when calling or emailing the commish.

Thank you for stating what should be obvious, I neglected to mention in my original post. Negative comments will not help our cause.

I said this in another thread, but what we need to do is organize with Cowboy fans. Regardless of how this turns out the two teams will play twice in 2012. We need to organize some sort of informal act of protest against Goodell and the rest of the owners that will take place in both stadiums during both Redskins/Cowboys game. If we could get players involved it would be even better. Something along the lines of at the exact same moment in the game the fans will do or chant something. (In another thread I threw out 1:50 left before halftime, right out of the two-miunte warning.) Odds are that one of the games will be on national TV as well. What could be done as a protest is another story, but it would take getting both teams' fans together and agreeing on something that would be done in both stadiums at around the same time of both games involving the two teams.

Well, I think Redskins and Cowboys fans complaining would do much unless there were just an overwhelming amount. Duh, no matter what happens to our franchises, we're going to be pissed. All of the media complaining is what is going to do it. Fans of all franchises and media/commentators will hurt their PR.

I thought it's drastic and all, but the possibility of "holding out". Maybe refusing to play a preseason game or something? Not likely, but it would get their attention.

here is my letter for what it is worth:

Mr. Goodell,

While I respect and appreciate your passion for the league and player safety I must disagree with the way in which the situation with the Cowboys and Redskins is being handled. I do not see a logical or legal argument for retroactively punishing these teams for contracts that were APPROVED by the league office. To say that these teams gained a competitive advantage is ridiculous. All of the larger market teams gain a competitive advantage every time they use a huge signing bonus to lure a free agent their way. Teams in general circumvent the cap every time they restructure deals with signing bonuses to get under the cap. In my opinion, sign a guy however you want and just divide the total by number of years in the deal and that is his cap number, period. $50M over 5 years is $10M a year regardless of bonus or salary, it’s that simple. But I digress.

It seams obvious to everyone that you, the commissioner, have simply bowed to pressure from the other teams who are upset about this. I understand in the long run that this does not affect the grand scheme of things. But I don’t see how the NFLPA went along with this either. There is no way that $1.6M spread out over 28 teams will do more for players then if these 2 teams had $46M to spend. Most of the teams given this extra cap room will NEVER spend that money. If 12 teams stay $2M under the cap and don’t use the $1.6M given to them that is $19.2M dollars in unspent cap dollars that could have gone to players. There is no way that Dallas and Washington would have $19M in cap room between the two of them at the end of the offseason. The players should be outraged that their union accepted such a deal. Outraged.

HTTR (was not in the email. I left it neutral)

Absolutely nothing at all.

This entity holds fans and entire cities hostage to get what it wants. And they get it or they go somewhere where they will get it.

They name the rates and the terms and its all non-negotiable.

They are the Mob of sports and they just dont really give a crap about fans.

The Team can try a legal solution but Fans can gripe and complain - even boycott but it would amount to nothing more than a small tear drop in a giant pool of water.

Well, I think Redskins and Cowboys fans complaining would do much unless there were just an overwhelming amount. Duh, no matter what happens to our franchises, we're going to be pissed. All of the media complaining is what is going to do it. Fans of all franchises and media/commentators will hurt their PR.

I thought it's drastic and all, but the possibility of "holding out". Maybe refusing to play a preseason game or something? Not likely, but it would get their attention.

Great idea! Forfeiting a preseason road game would definitely send a message. Nobody would know anything of what was up, and just as the ref was about to flip the coin the captain could say on mic "we forfeit this game [insert home team's name] in protest of the NFL's salary cap punishment." Without knowing the full realm of the rules governing NFL forfeits, there'd be very little that anyone could do about it. Given that 28 other owners seemingly colluded against the Skins and Boys to do this, it would literally be money out of one of their pockets. The home team would look in poor light if they didn't refund all of the ticket sales, parking, etc. for the game, and perhaps even go above and beyond that. Owners make a killing on these preseason games because they don't have to pay player salaries so ticket revenue, concessions, parking, etc. is literally all profit. Again I say this without knowing what if any backlash there might be against the Redskins and Cowboys for something like that, however it would definitely send a message and hit another franchise in it's pocket books where it hurts.

This is what I wrote in another thread about Goodell wanting competative balance:

If the league wants competative balance, here are my top 10 proposals:

1) New England and Green Bay must give up Brady and Rodgers immediatly.

2) Mike Brown and Ralph Wilson must spend 2 times the cap this year to make up for being cheapskates their whole lives

3) Teams now must "share" Lombari trophies. If a team in your division sweeps the champs, they get a Lombardi

4) The Broncos have to move. Seriously, who wants to play in altitude. My players can't breathe. I'm thinking Omaha, nice and flat.

5) All Seattle fans must be given muscle relaxers, to, you know, keep them quieter.

6) All warm weather/dome teams must have a "snow" machine on hand during the winter months so the cold weather teams don't get too hot.

7) Michael Vick is no longer allowed to scramble

8) Sebastian Janikowksi has to kick with an anchor on his leg

9) Teams that can't make the playoffs on their own, get an automatic bid every 5 years regardless of their record.

10) Whatever the spread is that morning of the game, the dog gets those points on the scoreboard automatically.

Called, got an answering machine. Nice lady's message that it was the commissioner's office. Gave name and phone number and said I had read this was where a fan could leave a complaint or praise. Said I was calling to protest the $36 million cap penalty against the Skins, and how could they be penalized for based on what I had read, a non-existant rule? My last words were "Thank you and have a nice day." Very nervous while doing it, probably sounded bad/hilarious, but glad I did.

This is considered harrassment and you better not if you don't want to receive a call from a lawyer.

Horsehockey, it is a business that can accept complaints from it's customers. If it is done in a courteous manner I don't think any lawyer would call you about it, it is called free speech.

---------- Post added March-13th-2012 at 07:49 PM ----------

Called, got an answering machine. Nice lady's message that it was the commissioner's office. Gave name and phone number and said I had read this was where a fan could leave a complaint or praise. Said I was calling to protest the $36 million cap penalty against the Skins, and how could they be penalized for based on what I had read, a non-existant rule? My last words were "Thank you and have a nice day." Very nervous while doing it, probably sounded bad/hilarious, but glad I did.

Same sort of message left by me, I said as a customer I find the explanation unacceptable and would expect more forthcoming as to explain exactly what was done wrong. I also said that I expect more from the commissioner as a professional let to allow what appears to be back door dealing and spite to occur.

waste of time contacting him take the NFL to court. I do not see why season ticket holders would not have a case. They could claim damages as they wer paying for a product with certain expectations. Court will be the only thing the NFL understands

I think the best angle is that the punishment well outweighs the crime. I understand the team was warned, but the retroactive punishment seems a bit much. Poor planning on your part shouldn't mean one less major FA on mine, or something similar.

Has Goodell even addressed this yet through a statement atleast?

Awesome idea, anybody show this info to the puke fan sites?

I haven't heard any statement from goodell, just his boss, mara. I have not shared this info with the cowgirls though I guess I should it just makes me sick to consort with them

I think what they should do is ban Goodell, the NFL executives, and Mara and his committee from entering the stadiums, FedEx and Jerry World. Type up a nice little letter and send it off to all of them informing them of the ban. File a trespass case against them, so, if they do show; have them arrested.

And... every Redskins/Cowboys game pass out "Fire Roger" signs. I bet Dan would allow those signs in the stadium.

Archived