Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Contact Roger Goodell to express our displeasure

ManleyMann7271

Here's what I sent via eamil:

Here's a big yellow flag thrown right on your desk Commissioner Goodell. *It's a flag for illegal procedure, interference, offside, holding, and setting an illegal pick.

You sanctioned the Dallas Cowboys and the Washington Redskins 10 and 36 milllion dollars respectively. For what? Well you aren't really sure. What we do know is that the NFL told the Redskins that they didn't break any rules. Okay, let's get this straight. They didn't break any rules but you sanction them a 36 million dollar punishment? Really?

Imagine an NFL game in the 4th quarter. One team is ahead and has the ball. The ref, out of nowhere, throws a flag. Fifteen yards he says loudly. The team protests and asks what rule they have broken. The ref tells them that they haven't broken any rules but that there was a problem with competitive advantage. LOL! That is exactly what is happening to the Cowobys and the Redskins. Just think what would happen to that ref?

The malice of this action becomes clear when you look at the timing. The NFL announced these sanctions in the 4th quarter, just as the Cowboys and Redskins were preparing to spend the very money that has now been ripped away unjustly and without warning. I am sure you know that NFL teams spend huge amounts of time in preparing for free agency and carefully allocating their available monies in order to re-sign their own players and sign new ones. To enforce such insanity one day before free agency is ridiculous and damaging to the league and its fans.

The NFL goes to great lengths to instruct players about the importance of being a role model. What I see here is a huge failure on the part of the NFL to be that same role model. By carrying out such an arbitrary and capricious act the NFL is modeling the worst of immature behavior to our boys and girls, and our women and men.

Do the right thing. Quickly reinstate those funds.

If true this was juvenile and counter productive to say the least. You state your age as 27, man up and act like it. I think you should be ashamed and need to grow for even posting this.

Wow someone can't take a joke, ease up Old Man Clemens; (It must really suck to be 50 and not be able to appreciate the humor of Adam Sandler's Billy Madison) this whole thread is counterproductive and juvenile I'm just throwing in a little facetious humor to lighten up the "We must write serious emails crew." There's NO WAY it will have any effect and you wanna know why?

When you write your congressman/legislator and complain they listen because you have power, you can vote against them. Last time I checked I don't vote for NFL commish. Also if we are going to be writing letters it should be towards the NFLPA who are the real culprits for not standing up for the players against John Mara and his colluding posse (The Management Council, which is the main NFL labor committee). The players need to realize that taking our $$$(WAS and DAL) and throwing it at 28 other teams won't help more players make more money. Teams that are 10s of millions already under the cap don't care to have another 1.6 (or whatever it is).

If we as skins fans want to put pressure on the NFL about this writing emails and leaving voice mails is not gonna do it. The media seem to be getting most jobs done these days by swaying popular opinion. I'm sure the NFL can deal with two angry fan bases, but how will they defend themselves when a whole nation of football fans are educated by the media as to the colluding practices and how THAT hurts the players (especially the lower $ making players) and consequently the game. So if anyone wants to put some energy towards this I would say the best bet is writing to the media and making sure they have your support and to continue publishing articles blasting these unfair practices by the NFL.

Warning: Language (another name for poop)

sorrybut roger doesn't owe us for stupidity, arrogance, and general bad karma.

i agree, every team was told not to get greedy and front load payments,we didnt live up to the uwritten agreement and now we are paying for trying to be slick. And we outsmarted ourselves. And for those who will say , yes but the league approved the contracts, that has nothing to do with it, it is just like that time gibbs called a timeout and then asked the ref if he could call another one, and the ref said yes, which was true, if gibbs would have asked would he get a flag for calling another timeout the ref would have said yes and he wouldnt have done it, just like with these contracts, the league would let you do it, but you see whats happening now

How can we be punished for violating an unwritten agreement? Why was the agreement unwritten? Why is this story not getting the coverage it deserves? Why did the league have to threaten the players union in order for them to vote their way?

Because the NFL is wrong and knows it, just wants to punish us for not going along with their attempts to squeeze the players.

How does trying to cripple 2 teams in the NFC east for 2 years help the league stay competitive? Shouldn"t Bruce Allen be allowed to try and clean up ceratto's mess? Why is this punishment so severe and unprecedented?

terryb101 and rfkfedex, you should be asking these questions instead of just thinking that somehow Snyder had this coming. That's the reaction they want from the fans, for us to continue to blame Snyder for everything. Like him or hate him, he owns the team and will continue to do so for a long time, we need to be on his side on this one.

Also, this sets a very scary precedent, now the NFL can punish a team not for breaking rules but for conducting business in a matter they do not like. The owners that voted for this obviously do not understand that this could most certainly come back to bite them.

i agree, every team was told not to get greedy and front load payments,we didnt live up to the uwritten agreement and now we are paying for trying to be slick. And we outsmarted ourselves. And for those who will say , yes but the league approved the contracts, that has nothing to do with it, it is just like that time gibbs called a timeout and then asked the ref if he could call another one, and the ref said yes, which was true, if gibbs would have asked would he get a flag for calling another timeout the ref would have said yes and he wouldnt have done it, just like with these contracts, the league would let you do it, but you see whats happening now

An unwritten agreement is not enforceable. If they really wanted to enforce what you call "greed", they would have and SHOULD have explicitly stated it.

Secondly, your Gibbs analogy fails mainly because it's incoherent and doesn't apply to this fact situation at all.

Why does the fact that the league approved the contracts has nothing to do with this situation? It's akin to you going to a teacher and asking if you can turn your homework in all at once and being told you can and getting approval for it by the school, and then being told a while later that you're actually going to be penalized for it and you will have to forfeit some of that homework you turned in up front.

Are you stoned? Seriously, have you read anything about this issue? The analogy to Gibbs committing a penalty really demonstrates your utter lack of insight into this situation. Whether the ref told Gibbs he could call another time out or not doesn't actually change the fact that a rule of the game would have been broken. Here, there was NO RULE. This is like saying the 2010 year was capped for the Redskins and Cowboys but nobody else.

The crux of this argument from the NFL is that despite it being an uncapped year, teams who didn't have the money to unload a cap issue with the stroke of a pen like snyder's 21 mil to haynesworth or 15mil to Dhall were screwed by the uncapped year relative to the richer teams that could do it. They are essentially arguing that its unfair because the skins and cowboys had resources that the other teams didn't have and therefore it is "unfair". By the way, they are right. It was absolutely unfair. In fact, it is exactly this kind of behavior that lead to the cap in the first place!! That has absolutely nothing to do with it because what was "unfair" was not that the redskins had enough money to pull this off but that there was an "uncapped" year in the CBA in 2010!! That was NOT the Redkins fault. They all agreed to a 2010 uncapped year with full knowledge that it would result in the very inequity that prompted the cap in the first place.

Of course, the uncapped year had ramifications that effected competitive balance for many teams. For example, teams also had no FLOOR so teams like the bucs ran on 50 million that year and pocketed the difference. By the way, do you know who the biggest spenders in free agency this year are? The bucs would not be able to financially afford to spend like they are right now if they hadn't banked $50 million in that uncapped year. They not only have $40 mil in cap space, they also have money saved up from two years ago to spend it!! They are mini-redskins for this year!! All because of what they did in the uncapped year.

The reason there is no effect on competitive balance with the bucs is they can't sustain this kind of spending. The skins and boys could have. They would have freed up all that money and been able to spend it without banking it in 2010 by having a $50 million payroll. There was no rule against underspending by the bucs however because it was an UNCAPPED YEAR!! Likewise there was no rule against front loading contracts because. . . wait for it. . . it was an UNCAPPED YEAR!! There was no rule. This is NOT a ref forgetting a RULE. This is NO RULE!! It couldnt' be more different than your analogy.

Wow someone can't take a joke' date=' ease up Old Man Clemens; (It must really suck to be 50 and not be able to appreciate the humor of Adam Sandler's Billy Madison) this whole thread is counterproductive and juvenile I'm just throwing in a little facetious humor to lighten up the "We must write serious emails crew." There's NO WAY it will have any effect and you wanna know why?

[/quote']\

I happen to disagree with that in it's entirety. Hey if you think 50 is old hang around awhile, 50 is young. As for joking, you know that there are alot of really pissed Skins fans at this moment and when you tease fire you get burned. I was not in the joking mode on this topic, but go ahead and convince yourself you have no say in this world, be another do nothing, say nothing, get nothing done. You'll have company, I stand on my ground when I think something or someone is wrong. Whether or not they absorb that is not the point. get it?

Skins fans need to boo EVERY SINGLE Goodell appearance on stage (except the Griffin pick, at NO time should they boo, just so idiots in the media don't say we booed Griffin."

---------- Post added March-14th-2012 at 07:45 PM ----------

I think many on here are going at the wrong target. The NFL players association is the group who dropped the ball.

I think that the worst part is, it looks like a face-saving move for DeMaurice Smith, so that in his election attempt he doesn't bring to the table a LOWERING of the salary cap # from what the players were led to believe would be in effect.

So, like many unions, a lot was done to benefit the guys in charge with their fingers in the bank accounts rather than the actual rank-and-file.

I posted this in the other cap penalty thread but:

A few facts about how the NFL treats the Giants:

2005 - Katrina hits, Saints are forced to play a "Home" game in the Meadowlands against the Giants, Giants get nine home games and win the division by one game over the Redskins

2007 - Goodell decides to reschedule the Giants game in Miami to be played in London, Giants only play seven games in hostile stadiums, this game ignites the Giants, they are the last team into the playoffs and win the Super Bowl

2010 - New Meadowlands given the Super Bowl despite no roof and bad weather

2011 - Giants play an "Away" game in New Meadowlands against the Jets, again playing nine home games in a season, which ends up propelling them to the playoffs and the Super Bowl

No other team gets this kind of preferential treatment from the commissioner

Allen's only statement of which I know was from Monday when he stated that they had not received any "written" word from the league concerning all of the penalties being reported in the media. I can picture a room full of lawyers waiting to get hold of that punishment in writing. Though I do have a bad feeling that Mr. Snyder and jerry might just bend over and take this one. Either way, we will be alright, brighter day coming, I can feel it.

Appreciate the info Manley. I really hope our team doesn't have to pay a thing and we get an apology statement from the NFL, though i'm not gonna hold my breath to it.

Hell i could see the NFL doing their damndest to give us the penalty then turn around in a year or 2 and hit us with an underspending penalty. This is some petty **** going on with this whole deal.

This is the best article I have found on the whole mess, still not that informative though

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2012/3/14/2867805/cowboys-redskins-salary-cap-penalties-roger-goodell

---------- Post added March-14th-2012 at 09:38 PM ----------

"A few facts about how the NFL treats the Giants:

2005 - Katrina hits, Saints are forced to play a "Home" game in the Meadowlands against the Giants, Giants get nine home games and win the division by one game over the Redskins

2007 - Goodell decides to reschedule the Giants game in Miami to be played in London, Giants only play seven games in hostile stadiums, this game ignites the Giants, they are the last team into the playoffs and win the Super Bowl

2010 - New Meadowlands given the Super Bowl despite no roof and bad weather

2011 - Giants play an "Away" game in New Meadowlands against the Jets, again playing nine home games in a season, which ends up propelling them to the playoffs and the Super Bowl

No other team gets this kind of preferential treatment from the commissioner"

Thanks, hkHog, but you are going to really get my paranoia going now!!!!

The way to get back at the NFL is stopping purchasing merchandise, tickets, watching games, playing FF, Madden, etc. Otherwise, the more we spend, the more Goodell looks awesome. Big market teams support small markets. Too bad I'm addicted to the Redskins

Very disappointed ...I just put up a post asking people to sign.... hopefully it brings a few people to sign !

---------- Post added March-15th-2012 at 01:09 PM ----------

Really.....why hasnt everyone on ES signed this ? it should be stickeyed and promoted !

Very disappointed ...I just put up a post asking people to sign.... hopefully it brings a few people to sign !

---------- Post added March-15th-2012 at 01:09 PM ----------

Really.....why hasnt everyone on ES signed this ? it should be stickeyed and promoted !

Because it wants you to list personal information that I'm not willing to give out. I'd do first and last name with email, but that's it. I don't want my address handed out.

I just signed it. You can use a fake or abbreviated address. I just wrote the name of the street. Here was my added note:

I am signing in protest of the obvious legal improprieties taken by the NFL. This move is dishonest at best and outright illegal and in breach of everything the NFL is supposed to represent at worst. This does not equate to parity or "competitive balance". This reeks of immaturity, a general lack of ethics, and a wholly immoral system whereby those who complain are rewarded in spades. For the first time in my life, I am not only in 100% agreement with Cowboys fans, I am legitimately considering cutting all financial commitments to anything related to the NFL.

Archived