Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Shaihid Khan(Jags new owner) tweaks Redskins and Cowboys

I apologize if this is considered in the wrong forum, but I thought this was something funny that Skins fans should see.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82789a0b/article/khan-cowboys-redskins-prove-you-cant-pay-for-wins?module=HP11_headline_stack

Around the League

Khan: Cowboys, Redskins prove you can't pay for wins

By Dan Hanzus NFL.com

Published: March 12, 2012 at 10:20 a.m. Updated: March 12, 2012 at 11:18 a.m.

The Jacksonville Jaguars are ready to spend. And they're intent on doing it wisely.

Shahid Khan, the team's gloriously outspoken new owner, discussed Jacksonville's free agency strategy on Friday, and in the process tweaked two of football's most notorious spenders.

"If there was a relationship between money spent and results on the field, probably the Redskins and the Cowboys would have won a bunch of Super Bowls by now," Khan said during a live chat with fans facilitated by The Florida Times-Union. "That's what makes football so interesting."

Khan has money on his mind because the Jaguars have plenty of it up right now. Jacksonville has more than $45 million of cap space, one of the league's highest amounts with free agency set to open on Tuesday at 4 p.m. ET.

Rest at link...

.... although true, I'm pretty sure you are not supposed to talk down about other teams in the league when you are in fact a team owner, not to mention the owner of a team that hasn't seen any high spots since Mark Brunell, besides MJD.

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

.... although true, I'm pretty sure you are not supposed to talk down about other teams in the league when you are in fact a team owner,

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BINGO!!

That's an unwritten rule which I'm sure will come back to bite him in the azz while his team struggles to sell tickets, dealing with blackouts and loosing seasons!!

Kirk_scream.jpg

Man, I love that movie. :geek:

Anyway, Khan is entitled to his opinion, and our front office has certainly made some boneheaded player-personnel moves over the past dozen years. However, I'm a big fan of the doctrine of "Discretion is the better part of valor." In other words, shut yer big yap, particularly if you're in the public eye. Because sooner or later, what goes around comes around. :shutup:

Also, the rumor mill has it that the Jags may attempt to trade for Tebow if Peyton signs with the Broncos. If the Jags do that -- right after they surrendered picks to move up to tenth overall to draft Gabbert -- Khan's front office is gonna look like a bunch of mo-rons. :silly:

P.S. Kudos to Fetus and MadMonkey for beating me to the punch on the "Wrath of Khan" reference. :notworthy:

I see what he is saying, but the Cowgirls and the 'Skins do have a bunch of Super Bowl trophies.

Most of which came before the eras of big FA spending started.

What he's said here is true and the actual criticism is very mild.

But I also think it almost sounds like he's prepping the fan base and making excuses for a cheap spending FA period ahead of time.

It might be one day [i.e. the Jags being worth more as a franchise], if it moves to L.A.

Affirmative. If that proposed football stadium next to Staples Center gets built, then there will be several teams (Chargers, Raiders and, yes, Jags) looking to relocate to L.A.

Roger_Goodell_Jaguars-R_jpg_635x345_crop-smart_upscale_q85.jpg

NEW YORK—Amid talks of "possibly adding a 32nd team" to the National Football League, Commissioner Roger Goodell was reminded by aides Tuesday that the Jaguars have been playing in the AFC South for more than a decade. "Oh, right, of course! The Jaguars," a sheepish Goodell said at a press conference originally called to discuss possible new NFL cities. "Teal, right? But not the Panthers. Teal, cats, not very good—you can see how we got that wrong. We will certainly be making internal adjustments to ensure we don't forget them again." Goodell did say, however, that the NFL was still interested in someday fielding a team in a large warm-weather city such as Los Angeles; San Antonio, TX; or even Jacksonville, FL.terminator.gif

(not meaning to hijack)

Cowboys and Skins spend alot because they two of the highest revenue teams and two of the most valuable sports franchises in the world. Khan couldnt afford to buy either team, so really its apples and oranges.

Sounds like he's making excuses why he won't be able to compete financially.

Seems like the most successful teams in the league are near the cap (Saints, Giants, Patriots, Ravens, Eagles, Steelers, Charger, etc).

Archived