Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Shaihid Khan(Jags new owner) tweaks Redskins and Cowboys

Says the guy who owns the team that we fleeced last year into give us picks as they take Blaine Gabbert at 10th overall? The same Blaine Gabbert that is probably one of the worst QBs in the NFL right now?

That guy is criticizing our front offices? The ones with RG3 and Romo sits to pee, 8 superbowls between us, and among the highest revenue and TV ratings in the league where his team can't fill half the stadium?

They didn't have a choice. The NFLPA would have gone after the league for collusion. In an uncapped year, making a tacit agreement to keep base salaries down is a pretty clear cut case of that. With the protection of the new CBA, the NFL doesn't have to worry about that.

So what you're saying is

1. We broke no rules

2. we didn't collude in 2010 against the players (while many teams dropped tens of millions in salary going through the previous salary cap floor)

3. the 28 NFL clubs are now colluding against us

Great argument you got there.

I'm sure you guys will win that court case...

So what you're saying is

1. We broke no rules

2. we didn't collude in 2010 against the players (while many teams dropped tens of millions in salary going through the previous salary cap floor)

3. the 28 NFL clubs are now colluding against us

Great argument you got there.

That is pretty much how Deadspin is interpreting this whole thing. Here is an interesting article (I have removed all profanity to comply with rules here.....)

http://deadspin.com/5892791/in-the-name-of-competitive-balance-the-nfl-plays-the-bully-and-the-tyrant

In The Name Of Competitive Balance, The NFL Plays The Bully And The Tyrant

The NFL is a dictatorship masquerading as a benevolent dictatorship. In redistributing $46 million in salary cap space from the Redskins and Cowboys to the rest of the league, the NFL is enforcing laws that don't exist, playing Robin Hood with blackmail, and generally continuing a tradition of arbitrary, paternalistic crap that in a just world would have antitrust lawyers salivating.

It's not a just world, of course. It's the NFL, where they can publicly humiliate and financially chastise two of the richest, most powerful, most visible and most hands-on owners. They can flat-out tell Dan Snyder and Jerry Jones "we don't like the way you do business" and come up with a retroactive punishment based on no extant rules and dare them to do anything about it. And Snyder and Jones can't, because they're strange bedfellows in this mess, the NFLPA, was bought off. "What're you going to do about it?" the NFL scoffs, already knowing the answer.

Let's go over what happened here, because it is amazing and incredible and a simple recitation of facts defies belief. Because of an expiring CBA, there was no salary cap in 2010. Washington and Dallas, because they have good accountants, took advantage of this by frontloading player contracts—paying a ton of money in the uncapped year in exchange for paying less in later years. The players didn't mind because they were getting their cash either way, and the teams benefited because they'd receive a discount on future cap hits.

Just about every team did this to some extent, as shown by this graphic which is winding its way through the internet. But the Skins and Cowboys were particularly aggressive: Washington carried $178.2 million in 2010, Dallas $166.5 million. Snyder and Jones were reportedly warned "at least six times" that there would be consequences (yes, this is blatant collusion), but here's the thing, and it's really the only thing: they were violating no rules.

Can we repeat that, for posterity and for effect? The season was uncapped. There was no cap. Teams stayed under a cap the year before, and the year after, but in the year of no cap, they spent what they wanted. There was nothing in the then-extant CBA that could have been used to penalize them for this. Hell, there was nothing in the next CBA, even though that would have been an ex post facto law, and illegal under any constitution worth its salt. So even if the NFL warned Washington and Dallas not to do what they were doing, Snyder's and Jones's lawyers would have pretty quickly concluded that there was to harm in using a loophole, and no risk either.

Here's the NFL trying to justify its actions:

"The Management Council Executive Committee determined that the contract practices of a small number of clubs during the 2010 league year created an unacceptable risk to future competitive balance, particularly in light of the relatively modest salary cap growth projected for the new agreement's early years. To remedy these effects and preserve competitive balance throughout the league, the parties to the CBA agreed to adjustments to team salary for the 2012 and 2013 seasons. These agreed-upon adjustments were structured in a manner that will not affect the salary cap or player spending on a league-wide basis."

Ah yes, competitive balance, the old fallback position for any arbitrary dictum. I hope everyone saw what just happened, so we can all savor the irony: the NFL is making up rules as it goes along, and applying them retroactively, all in the name of the sport's integrity.

There's also no legal force to that statement beyond "because we said so." As a sop to bipartisanship, the NFL claims that "the parties to the CBA" agreed on this punishment. Not the CBA itself, mind you, because there's nothing in there. But the NFLPA signed off on the penalties, not because they agreed with them, but because they had no other choice. The only other option the NFL presented the Players Association was for the salary cap to drop across the league, meaning less money for the players. This was a devil's bargain: sign off on this capricious and probably illegal sanction of two teams, or we'll punish all of you. The NFLPA was straight blackmailed, and they did the only conscionable thing they could: they caved, and threw two of the biggest-spending owners under the bus.

In the Book of Genesis, God inexplicably created the tree of knowledge, then told humans not to touch it. "Because I said so," I believe was the rationale. He made the fruit tempting, and gave humans the faculties to obtain and enjoy it, and got pissed when they did. It took a couple thousand years for people say, whoa, that was pretty cruel and screwed up, God. Similarly, the NFL created an uncapped year, and fostered an atmosphere that gave Dan Snyder and Jerry Jones the motive, the means, and the opportunity to partake of its blessings. The NFL doesn't have religion's PR, so thankfully we don't need iconoclasts, just normal, rational people to point out just how wrong this is. But football is a sort of religion, with a similar antitrust exemption, so fair doesn't even come into play.

If the league wants competative balance, here are my top 10 proposals:

1) New England and Green Bay must give up Brady and Rodgers immediately.

2) Mike Brown and Ralph Wilson must spend 2 times the cap this year to make up for being cheapskates their whole lives

3) Teams now must "share" Lombari trophies. If a team in your division sweeps the champs, they get a Lombardi

4) The Broncos have to move. Seriously, who wants to play in altitude. My players can't breathe. I'm thinking Omaha, nice and flat.

5) All Seattle fans must be given muscle relaxers, to, you know, keep them quieter.

6) All warm weather/dome teams must have a "snow" machine on hand during the winter months so the cold weather teams don't get too hot.

7) Michael Vick is no longer allowed to scramble

8) Sebastian Janikowksi has to kick with an anchor on his leg

9) Teams that can't make the playoffs on their own, get an automatic bid every 5 years regardless of their record.

10) Whatever the spread is that morning of the game, the dog gets those points on the scoreboard automatically.

Lawyering up doesn't sound like a great idea to me. The Skins still have to play under the NFL rules. And the league still hasn't decided what punishment, if any, you guys will pay for bountygate. Antagonizing the league would probably be counterproductive.

Lawyering up doesn't sound like a great idea to me. The Skins still have to play under the NFL rules. And the league still hasn't decided what punishment, if any, you guys will pay for bountygate. Antagonizing the league would probably be counterproductive.

Neither the Cowboys nor the Redskins broke any cap rules. There was no cap. Goodell might have bit off a little more than he can chew here. I can see Snyder and Jones going Al Davis on the NFL if they don't relent.

Neither the Cowboys nor the Redskins broke any cap rules. There was no cap. Goodell might have bit off a little more than he can chew here. I can see Snyder and Jones going Al Davis on the NFL if they don't relent.
Didn't Al Davis lose most of his lawsuits against the NFL?

LOL the jacksonville frickin jaguars owner is dissing two of the legendary nfl franchises.

"If there was a relationship between money spent and results on the field, probably the Redskins and the Cowboys would have won a bunch of Super Bowls by now," - you mean like 8 of them?

Have a blast with blaine gabbert and your half empty stadium.

And that big fat revenue sharing check you get from teams like the Redskins and Cowboys.

If the league wants competative balance, here are my top 10 proposals:

1) New England and Green Bay must give up Brady and Rodgers immediately.

2) Mike Brown and Ralph Wilson must spend 2 times the cap this year to make up for being cheapskates their whole lives

3) Teams now must "share" Lombari trophies. If a team in your division sweeps the champs, they get a Lombardi

4) The Broncos have to move. Seriously, who wants to play in altitude. My players can't breathe. I'm thinking Omaha, nice and flat.

5) All Seattle fans must be given muscle relaxers, to, you know, keep them quieter.

6) All warm weather/dome teams must have a "snow" machine on hand during the winter months so the cold weather teams don't get too hot.

7) Michael Vick is no longer allowed to scramble

8) Sebastian Janikowksi has to kick with an anchor on his leg

9) Teams that can't make the playoffs on their own, get an automatic bid every 5 years regardless of their record.

10) Whatever the spread is that morning of the game, the dog gets those points on the scoreboard automatically.

Nobody likes my plan for making the league have more competative balance?

• 7 months later...

The Jaguars are trash, what a mess. I wouldn't be surprised if they move to LA in a few years.

Btw, Blaine Gabbert is horrible, I remember when a select few on ES were upset Mike and Bruce traded back with JAX so they can draft Gabbert 10th overall.

Just one other feather in Coach Shanahan's hat.

Oh yeah, the Redskins and Cowboys have 8 super bowls between them.

Lol @ bump. Shaihid Khan needs to tweak the Jaguars and badly. I heard that the Jags were bad, but wow they are Atrocious (yes with a capital A).

I also liked how Eisen tried to bait Luck into a RG3 diss that they could use on NFL.com tomorrow. Good job on him for not falling for it.

I missed it, what did he say?

Well first they compared the amount of rushing TD's and then Eisen asks Luck if he was keeping up with RG3 numbers and if he trying to beat them. Then asked "Do you really even care what RG3 does?" Luck basically answered by saying he watches RG3 as a fan, but he is doing his own thing. Nothing too bad from Eisen, but the media would have twisted Luck's words if he answered the question differently.

Well first they compared the amount of rushing TD's and then Eisen asks Luck if he was keeping up with RG3 numbers and if he trying to beat them. Then asked "Do you really even care what RG3 does?" Luck basically answered by saying he watches RG3 as a fan, but he is doing his own thing. Nothing too bad from Eisen, but the media would have twisted Luck's words if he answered the question differently.

Gotcha. I like Eisen, and he generally doesn't bait players with questions, so I was pretty curious.

The Jaguars are trash, what a mess. I wouldn't be surprised if they move to LA in a few years.

Btw, Blaine Gabbert is horrible, I remember when a select few on ES were upset Mike and Bruce traded back with JAX so they can draft Gabbert 10th overall.

Just one other feather in Coach Shanahan's hat.

Oh yeah, the Redskins and Cowboys have 8 super bowls between them.

I think the Rams will be the front runners to move back to LA. I've heard the Chargers and Raiders also, both of whom have been in LA. I'd love to see the Raiders stay in Oakland (the name just sounds better), the Chargers stay in San Diego, the Rams move back to LA and become the Los Angeles Rams again and the Jags move to St. Louis and become the St. Louis Jaguars. Kahn is from southern Illinios, which is near St. Louis. Perfect fit.

I think the Rams will be the front runners to move back to LA. I've heard the Chargers and Raiders also, both of whom have been in LA. I'd love to see the Raiders stay in Oakland (the name just sounds better), the Chargers stay in San Diego, the Rams move back to LA and become the Los Angeles Rams again and the Jags move to St. Louis and become the St. Louis Jaguars. Kahn is from southern Illinios, which is near St. Louis. Perfect fit.
No one cares about the Rams in St. Louis. They only care about the Cardinals. So yeah, it would seem like they are a likely candidate to move to LA. If I was the one deciding, it would be the Panthers. Man, I can't stand their fans. I've gotten to the point now where I just don't even care to talk football with any of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived