Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hogs Haven: Richmond, VA the New Redskins Training Camp Spot?

authentic

DE, you need to read my posts more carefully for clarification. My comment is that what I heard, strictly hear say as I posted, is that part of his agreement was an understanding that he would not have to worry about a VCU football team...repeat, VCU football team, not Redskins training camp. I stated that is part of what I heard to keep him around, again not stating that it is fact.

I am certainly not on the negative nancy side of bringing the Redskins camp here and never mentioned parking. I pointed out the lack of facilities at City Stadium, no shade or real shelter and the fact that they would have to bus in to practice and then bus out. You also need multiple fields for camp. 100 plus players will not be able to work out on one field at City Stadium. Now maybe Snyder would open up the wallet a little bit to help renovate the Stadium a bit, but I don't know how much he would spend and how much would be needed.

You are correct about coaches leaving though, Coach Smart had plenty of calls last year including a couple of ACC squads, I am glad VCU went above and beyond to keep him.

RFK Lives, my post was not directed in response to you ... I didn't quote any of your posts in this thread, so I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that i was speaking directly to you, but apologizes if I offended. I was speaking to a multitude of things that were being said throughout this thread and why I disagreed with those views. Nothing personal, again didn't meant to offend anyone. I will try not to post when i am in a rush to do something else so as not to come off as being "short" with anyone. HAIL to em.

RFK Lives, my post was not directed in response to you ... I didn't quote any of your posts in this thread, so I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that i was speaking directly to you, but apologizes if I offended.
No worries and no offense taken. I was just clarifying because I was the poster that kept mentioning what I heard from the rumor mill on the Shaka agreement to stay and sign the contract for 8 years and the apparent lack of momentum on a VCU football team. I didn't want to come across as negative for the Redskins coming to RIC, just somewhat cold to the idea of them coming to City Stadium as I would rather them go to a college campus with enough fields etc. Anyway, keep posting in any way you see fit, I was just clarifying mine if there were any confusion about them. :)

• 2 months later...

Via Twitter, by way of Facebook, or something like that.: Huge news for Richmond area Redskins fans if true!!!...

ESPN 950‏ @ESPNRadio950

Sources tell ESPN 950 that the Redskins will move their training camp to Richmond starting in 2013. An official... http://fb.me/1VZ4hDYRf

...and now Hogs Haven http://www.hogshaven.com/2012/6/6/3067727/redskins-set-to-move-training-camp-to-richmond

I admit I'm surprised by this. The fun starts around here next Summer!

I am too. City Stadium is "okay" as a football venue but doesn't have much else to offer (i.e., no onsite weight rooms, training rooms, etc.). Maybe I'm making some bad assumptions since I've never been in the locker rooms there but I can't imagine it's on an NFL team level.

Looks like the Richmond T-D is confiming the story. They are also speculating that using U of R will be difficult. I can't imagine where else the players would stay.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports/breaking-news/2012/jun/06/redskins-will-move-summer-training-camp-richmond-ar-1970038/?sc_cid=RTD-BNEWS-Breaking

So a tweet from the Insider just said that there will be major expansion to the Ashburn site (which will remain the HQ). Does this mean the move to Richmond is for a shortwhile until the renovations to Ashburn are complete?

I am too. City Stadium is "okay" as a football venue but doesn't have much else to offer (i.e., no onsite weight rooms, training rooms, etc.). Maybe I'm making some bad assumptions since I've never been in the locker rooms there but I can't imagine it's on an NFL team level.

Looks like the Richmond T-D is confiming the story. They are also speculating that using U of R will be difficult. I can't imagine where else the players would stay.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports/breaking-news/2012/jun/06/redskins-will-move-summer-training-camp-richmond-ar-1970038/?sc_cid=RTD-BNEWS-Breaking

One possibility I heard for weight rooms, interestingly, was St. Christopher's. They are also getting new field turf there. Whatever happens, I can't see how multiple facilities won't be used. Also, I wonder where will they practice in bad weather? It'll be interesting to see how it all takes shape. I hope city Stadium is involved somehow though. I can freaking walk there. Woohoooo! Happy day.

One possibility I heard for weight rooms, interestingly, was St. Christopher's. They are also getting new field turf there. Whatever happens, I can't see how multiple facilities won't be used. Also, I wonder where will they practice in bad weather? It'll be interesting to see how it all takes shape. I hope city Stadium is involved somehow though. I can freaking walk there. Woohoooo! Happy day.

You know, I was thinking St. Chris for the weight room. Plus VCU is nearby and has a full gym.

The bad weather question is a good one. But, they never had a bubble in Carlisle and/or Ashburn (until this year).

So a tweet from the Insider just said that there will be major expansion to the Ashburn site (which will remain the HQ). Does this mean the move to Richmond is for a shortwhile until the renovations to Ashburn are complete?

Seems to me like it would make sense for them to move training camp around the region every so often to maintain/strenghten the fan base all over, especially Virginia because of the Panthers fans kind of creeping into what is/was traditionally "Redskins territory" (Southern Virginia and North Carolina).

You know, I was thinking St. Chris for the weight room. Plus VCU is nearby and has a full gym.

The bad weather question is a good one. But, they never had a bubble in Carlisle and/or Ashburn (until this year).

I tweeted the dude from Hogs Haven @RVAParks about this and he said that St. Chris has an Olympic strength coach too, which "couldn't hurt", FWIW. Nobody seems to know what, if any, indside practice facilities could be options. The Richmond Raiders have an indoor facility that the same guy from Hogs Haven said is probably very inadequate.

Seems to me like it would make sense for them to move training camp around the region every so often to maintain/strenghten the fan base all over, especially Virginia because of the Panthers fans kind of creeping into what is/was traditionally "Redskins territory" (Southern Virginia and North Carolina).

I can get behind this. Even in Richmond, I feel like fellow Redskins fans are few and far between...

I can get behind this. Even in Richmond, I feel like fellow Redskins fans are few and far between...

Yes, you are absolutely right on that. We should start rallying more fans in the area and pick a good spot to watch games on Sundays.

I'm moving to the Fan in September-ish, so I plan on being more active in that area (I'm currently out on the island for young people known as Short Pump).

I tweeted the dude from Hogs Haven @RVAParks about this and he said that St. Chris has an Olympic strength coach too, which "couldn't hurt", FWIW. Nobody seems to know what, if any, indside practice facilities could be options. The Richmond Raiders have an indoor facility that the same guy from Hogs Haven said is probably very inadequate.

My son used to go to the program that Coach Bob Blanton had at St. Chris. He now has his own facility west of the city but still coaches at St. Chris.

Yeah, the Raiders use the Richmond Coliseum to play & practice. It wouldn't work for 90 players plus coaches & staff.

---------- Post added June-6th-2012 at 03:39 PM ----------

(I'm currently out on the island for young people known as Short Pump).

Hey, I resemble that remark, young 'un ;)

Haha. I know a lot of fans in Richmond...just not the kind that monitor ES, twitter, whatever for every scrap of news relating to the Skins they can get 24-7, 365. Maybe this will change that. All i know for sure, for me, is the summer of 2013 in RVA will be a non-stop party. My work is going to suffer mightily.

:dj:

Yes, you are absolutely right on that. We should start rallying more fans in the area and pick a good spot to watch games on Sundays.

I'm moving to the Fan in September-ish, so I plan on being more active in that area (I'm currently out on the island for young people known as Short Pump).

I watched football last year at Roxy...but I think Gus' is a skins bar...

I'd love to be able to sing HTTR after a victory and not be judged by nearby Steelers and Cowboy fans...

Excited by this yes, but tempered excitement as I think about the facilities around the area. If they use UR, maybe. City Stadium is a complete dump with absolutely no shade to speak of. Maybe the SportsBackers complex that is getting ready to go under? UR is the only thing that would work but don't know if they can share the facilities with the team or be out of there before practices starts.

You need multiple fields to adequately break up and assess talent. Special teams cannot be punting and kicking on one half of the field while you try to run 7 on 7 on the other half. I am sure smarter people than me have assessed the situation and have all the answers, I just cannot wait to hear them.

I live on Boulevard now. We should definitely try to find a bar that will home Redskins fans and give us deals on food/drinks.

Archived